What's new

The result of being off the bike for 2 weeks

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
After my Motegi race on Jan 3rd, I took a rest from the bike to get refreshed. It was partly health induced, as I also strained my back and that took some time to recover.

So what happens when I have the extra time from not training? Shopping!:)

New Thomson Setback Seatpost

The seatpost came about for 2 reasons. I first found that my carbon seatpost had frozen in the seat tube of my Lynskey about a month ago. After a lot of elbow grease, I was able to remove it. Found that the aluminum insert in the seat tube was pitted and there had been some sort of electrochemical/chemical reaction between the carbon post and insert.

Contacted the frame manufacturer (and after a bit of a runaround) got someone very helpful and able to answer my questions about the best way to avoid it happening in the future. They recommended an alloy or titanium post, or if using a carbon post, frequent cleaning to remove sweat. They indicated (rather confidently) that salt from the sweat can cause a reaction with the resin resulting in the stuck seatpost problem.

Well, don't know how true their explanation is, but mine got stuck, so I decided to switch to an alloy.

Secondly, one of the outcomes of my fit with Chuck is that I might do better with a setback seatpost. So I could kill 2 birds with one stone, and the Thomson is the result.
post.jpg

Sidi Ergo3's Speedplay Sole
I have been using a pair of Sidi Ergo2's for 3 seasons, and have been very happy with them. I'm also on the Speedplay Zero's, so I justified a new pair of shoes because of the Speedplay specific sole. (And got a great price on them). Will save them for use after getting through the winter/spring training.

shoes.jpg

Own two of them along with the matching stems - top gear!

With matching seatposts let's head out training!

I have those shoes. Very happy with the make fit and feel.

With matching seatposts let's head out training!

Not only the posts, I also have the matching stem too. Good quality stuff, and I like to support manufacturers based in my home country.

Now, all you need is a nice titanium frame and we could be BBF's cruising around West Tokyo. :p (or you buy me one of Tim's black beauties to match yours)

They recommended an alloy or titanium post, or if using a carbon post, frequent cleaning to remove sweat. They indicated (rather confidently) that salt from the sweat can cause a reaction with the resin resulting in the stuck seatpost problem.

Wait, sweat in the seatpost! If you sweat that much I'm not sure I'd want to ride behind you :)

I'd think a wrap of electrical tape would be enough to stop any sweat seepage.

OTOH, a good reason to buy something new!

New shoes on a table...Hmm. cleaner than old shoes I guess.
Did you buy the seat post local? Secondly did you grease the carbon post prior to installation and when was the last time you pulled it out?

Nice bling BTW.:jealous:

New shoes on a table...Hmm. cleaner than old shoes I guess.
Did you buy the seat post local? Secondly did you grease the carbon post prior to installation and when was the last time you pulled it out?

Nice bling BTW.:jealous:

I always use a placemat when I have my shoes on the dining table. :)

The Thomson came from outside Japan.

At first I used FSA carbon paste that came with the original seatpost. After awhile I switched to grease. It had been about 3 months since I had moved the post.

Not sure it makes a difference if using one, the other, or nothing. seems to be more of a galvanic reaction when a salt is present between carbon and aluminum.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2007/02/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-permanent-seatposts-and-what-to-do-about-them_11799

I always use a placemat when I have my shoes on the dining table. :)

SAFE!
At first I used FSA carbon paste that came with the original seatpost. After awhile I switched to grease. It had been about 3 months since I had moved the post.

Not sure it makes a difference if using one, the other, or nothing. seems to be more of a galvanic reaction when a salt is present between carbon and aluminum.

OKay, I was thinking Lynskey = Titanium. I use a carbon post with my Titan frame and with grease have had no problems, maybe I need to sweat more. :cool:

Have a carbon frame IBIS and carbon post and use finish line carbon paste to stop slipping and bonding, so far no issues but I am now anxious and think I will pull the posts out to have a look.

Enjoy the new stuff!

OKay, I was thinking Lynskey = Titanium. I use a carbon post with my Titan frame and with grease have had no problems, maybe I need to sweat more. :cool:

The Lynskey is titanium, but they use an aluminum insert at the top of the seat tube. Should not be issues with carbon and titanium directly, as far as I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom