What's new

The "Pucci Special"

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Mount Fuji will have to wait until next weekend. This Saturday (May 26) Christoph and I will ride the "Pucci Special". We have compiled a number of routes recommended by Pucci-san.

Anyone not riding the Tour de Westside is welcome to join - 06:30AM Eda Station.

The route (240KM): Eda - Sagamiko - Uenohara - Dawa Pass - Tsuru Pass - Matsuhime pass - [cannot face the abondoned road up Ootoge again so we head north] Ookutamako - Mito yama (Tomin-no-mori) - Nokogiri yama - Ome - Setagaya - Eda.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/setagaya/430287685

We will look out for the Tour de Westside coming the other way near Tomin-no-mori :greets:

Full report next week,

Cheers,

Philip

Pucci Special?!?

Pucci special, huh? I am honored.

I live in Aobadai, very near Eda and would be tempted except that I would slow you down and ruin my legs for next week's Fuji race. I will do the Westside tour and return to Itsukaichi over Nokogiriyama.

The greatest day . . .

Thank you Pucci - today was one of the best days cycling I have experienced. Nokogiri is a real beauty and a heart breaker (extremely steep and long).

Thomas & Sora-san, we definitely saw each other - I apologize for the brief encounter

Last, but never least - Thank you Christoph.

Full report soon,

Cheers,

Philip

'Pucci Special' Ride Report . . .

It was 6:00AM when I left home and a gorgeous morning. Evidence of yesterdays rain remained only in the shadows out of reach of the early morning sunshine. Everything was clean and as they should be. One of those great days after the cold of spring has passed but before the oppressive heat of summer arrives.

As has become customary, I met Christoph at Eda station at 6:30AM. We kept an energetic 30kp/h + pace through Tokyo's suburbs to reach Sagamiko (60KM) at 8:00AM. In the relaxed atmosphere of the countryside the conversation flowed easily over breakfast which we ate outside Seven-Eleven. We were cyclists again. Different from all those people in their cars. Our working week worries forgotten. There were three big climbs ahead of us. The first, Dawa and Tsuru pass. The second, Mount Mitoh (Tomin no mori). The third Mount Nokogiri.

The climb through Dawa and Tsuru pass on R18 is about 30KM long. The road follows a sparkling mountain stream which flows through many charming, old fashioned villages populated by an elderly army of farmers. Bizarrely, there are at least a hundred dummies placed along the road. These life-like figures are dressed to look like real people doing everyday activities such as children playing together or people walking their dogs. They are the only young people you will see, like ghosts from the past when these villages were once vibrant. In the final 5KM the road steepens into a series of switch backs as you leave the valley to emerge among the peaks of the surrounding mountains at Tsuru pass.

Turning right onto R139 we followed the gentle downward slope through deep, dark forests to lake Okutama. With nothing but the forest and a steep river gorge for company, you might be in the middle of nowhere and are without a care in the world. We stopped by the bridge that crosses lake Okutama at the foot of Mount Mitoh to buy drinks from the vending machines outside the two dilapidated roadside noodle restaurants. It was only 10:30AM and we had already covered over 100KM. Christoph kicked-off his shoes and we took a luxurious and lazy break from cycling on the banks of a resplendant Lake Okutama.

Around 11:00AM we crossed Lake Okutama and passed through the abandoned toll gates to begin the climb up Mount Mitoh. After the first few bends I lost sight of Christoph as he charged ahead. My goal was to ride to the top in the big chain ring and I achieved it! However, I would pay the price with very tired legs later in the ride. Towards the summit the views are spectacular. My only complaint is you have to share it with so many other people:rolleyes: . The ride down past Tomin-no-mori is a real roller coaster. Christoph set a blistering pace and I did my best to keep up. Towards the bottom we first saw Alan in full attack mode and then the main group of the Tour de Westside coming the other way. A brief wave of the hand and they were gone.

A few minutes later, at the 130KM point we turned left onto R205 which we followed for a few kilometers before turning right onto a narrow road that passed through a picnic area heavy with the smell of BBQ. It was surrounded by wooden lodges. Beyond the lodges the road steepens sharply, cutting a narrow path through dense trees and bushes towards the summit of Mount Nokogiri. The road surface deteriorates to a patchwork of cracked concrete. Suddenly you enter a pitch black tunnel about 100 meters long which you cycle through blind.

Beyond the tunnel the steep slope is unrelenting. Eventually I give up my ambition to stay in the big chain ring and change down. Next I have to stand on the pedals just to maintain momentum. I am breathing heavily, almost gasping. The trees and bushes on either side are so thick you have no idea where you are in relation to the summit. Am I even halfway? Next the back wheel begins to slide. The damp, shaded environment enables a film of green moss to cover the road. You must relax. You must think clearly. There is no going back. I hear voices ahead. Two other cyclists are resting by the road. As I pass them my determination increases. I will not rest. I refuse to rest. And then the jungle receeds, the sunshine returns and a fantastic panorama view opens up across the valley. The road flattens and progress comes more easily. At last you reach the summit. Nokogiri is tough!

The apex of the road is distinct, flopping over almost immediately. The roll down is beautiful but it is a real boneshaker. Because the road is steep and rutted you must hold onto the brakes so your hands take a real pounding. You exit just a few hundred meters from Okutama town where Christoph was (as always) waiting patiently for me. We had now covered 155KM and it was around 2:30PM so we stopped at the nearest convenience store. Lunch consisted almost entirely of chocolate. Fantastic!

After lunch we rolled down to Ome and from here we decided to follow the banks of the Tamagawa river back to Futako Tamagawa and enjoy the afternoon sunshine. The Tamagawa river footpath outside Ome is not bicycle friendly. Deadends. Gravel traps. Long detours around car parks. Snotty nosed kids on mountain bikes. You name it, they have it. It was good fun actually:D Reminded me of when I was a snotty nosed kid on a . . . Rayleigh Chopper! After the initial assault course things improved. Christoph went into Shinkansen mode. We were covering huge sections at 35-40 kp/h. We arrived at Futako Tamagawa just after 5:00PM.

I said goodbye to Christoph at Futako Tamagawa and enjoyed a leisurely ride home through the back streets. Total distance 234KM. I have ridden further, but this was the hardest ride I have ever done and one of the best.

The 'Pucci Special' - Highly Recommended :cool:

Cheers,

Philip

:clap: :clap: :clap:
there is nothing more to say - thanks for the summary of an perfect day!!!

I'am looking forward to do it once more!!

Cheers
Christoph

It was 6:00AM when I left home and a gorgeous morning. Evidence of yesterdays rain remained only in the shadows out of reach of the early morning sunshine. Everything was clean and as they should be. One of those great days after the cold of spring has passed but before the oppressive heat of summer arrives.

As has become customary, I met Christoph at Eda station at 6:30AM. We kept an energetic 30kp/h + pace through Tokyo's suburbs to reach Sagamiko (60KM) at 8:00AM. In the relaxed atmosphere of the countryside the conversation flowed easily over breakfast which we ate outside Seven-Eleven. We were cyclists again. Different from all those people in their cars. Our working week worries forgotten. There were three big climbs ahead of us. The first, Dawa and Tsuru pass. The second, Mount Mitoh (Tomin no mori). The third Mount Nokogiri.

The climb through Dawa and Tsuru pass on R18 is about 30KM long. The road follows a sparkling mountain stream which flows through many charming, old fashioned villages populated by an elderly army of farmers. Bizarrely, there are at least a hundred dummies placed along the road. These life-like figures are dressed to look like real people doing everyday activities such as children playing together or people walking their dogs. They are the only young people you will see, like ghosts from the past when these villages were once vibrant. In the final 5KM the road steepens into a series of switch backs as you leave the valley to emerge among the peaks of the surrounding mountains at Tsuru pass.

Turning right onto R139 we followed the gentle downward slope through deep, dark forests to lake Okutama. With nothing but the forest and a steep river gorge for company, you might be in the middle of nowhere and are without a care in the world. We stopped by the bridge that crosses lake Okutama at the foot of Mount Mitoh to buy drinks from the vending machines outside the two dilapidated roadside noodle restaurants. It was only 10:30AM and we had already covered over 100KM. Christoph kicked-off his shoes and we took a luxurious and lazy break from cycling on the banks of a resplendant Lake Okutama.

Around 11:00AM we crossed Lake Okutama and passed through the abandoned toll gates to begin the climb up Mount Mitoh. After the first few bends I lost sight of Christoph as he charged ahead. My goal was to ride to the top in the big chain ring and I achieved it! However, I would pay the price with very tired legs later in the ride. Towards the summit the views are spectacular. My only complaint is you have to share it with so many other people :rolleyes: . The ride down past Tomin-no-mori is a real roller coaster. Christoph set a blistering pace and I did my best to keep up. Towards the bottom we first saw Alan in full attack mode and then the main group of the Tour de Westside coming the other way. A brief wave of the hand and they were gone.

A few minutes later, at the 130KM point we turned left onto R205 which we followed for a few kilometers before turning right onto a narrow road that passed through a picnic area heavy with the smell of BBQ. It was surrounded by wooden lodges. Beyond the lodges the road steepens sharply, cutting a narrow path through dense trees and bushes towards the summit of Mount Nokogiri. The road surface deteriorates to a patchwork of cracked concrete. Suddenly you enter a pitch black tunnel about 100 meters long which you cycle through blind.

Beyond the tunnel the steep slope is unrelenting. Eventually I give up my ambition to stay in the big chain ring and change down. Next I have to stand on the pedals just to maintain momentum. I am breathing heavily, almost gasping. The trees and bushes on either side are so thick you have no idea where you are in relation to the summit. Am I even halfway? Next the back wheel begins to slide. The damp, shaded environment enables a film of green moss to cover the road. You must relax. You must think clearly. There is no going back. I hear voices ahead. Two other cyclists are resting by the road. As I pass them my determination increases. I will not rest. I refuse to rest. And then the jungle receeds, the sunshine returns and a fantastic panorama view opens up across the valley. The road flattens and progress comes more easily. At last you reach the summit. Nokogiri is tough!

The apex of the road is distinct, flopping over almost immediately. The roll down is beautiful but it is a real boneshaker. Because the road is steep and rutted you must hold onto the brakes so your hands take a real pounding. You exit just a few hundred meters from Okutama town where Christoph was (as always) waiting patiently for me. We had now covered 155KM and it was around 2:30PM so we stopped at the nearest convenience store. Lunch consisted almost entirely of chocolate. Fantastic!

After lunch we rolled down to Ome and from here we decided to follow the banks of the Tamagawa river back to Futako Tamagawa and enjoy the afternoon sunshine. The Tamagawa river footpath outside Ome is not bicycle friendly. Deadends. Gravel traps. Long detours around car parks. Snotty nosed kids on mountain bikes. You name it, they have it. It was good fun actually :D Reminded me of when I was a snotty nosed kid on a . . . Rayleigh Chopper! After the initial assault course things improved. Christoph went into Shinkansen mode. We were covering huge sections at 35-40 kp/h. We arrived at Futako Tamagawa just after 5:00PM.

I said goodbye to Christoph at Futako Tamagawa and enjoyed a leisurely ride home through the back streets. Total distance 234KM. I have ridden further, but this was the hardest ride I have ever done and one of the best.

The 'Pucci Special' - Highly Recommended :cool:

Cheers,

Philip

At firtst, I don't understand it is you and Christoph-san. I thought you are the ones of ordinal passing cyclist.
When I found they are Philip-san and Christoph-san , I was so excited!!! "Oh they are Philip and Christoph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".....

Anyway, I was so たのしかった!!!

Sora-san . . .

I thought you looked surprised when we passed :eek:

The Tour de Westside was huge - very impressive to see so many people in one group. It was hard to make out who-was-who. You meet so many people on this website - but you never see their faces.

It was a beautiful day for a bike ride :cool:

Cheers,

Philip

great summary

Philip,

Thanks for your beautiful summary of the Nokogiri ride, I will certainly try it!!

I had not noticed this post when I was asking for more info on this, so thanks for referring it to me. This is a really good peice of writing and an inspiring description of this hill. I don`t know how anyone after reading it could resist it! Yasuhiro and I have it slated for this month or next month for sure.

cheers

Ash

Hi Ash . . .

Even Christoph was impressed with Nokogiri - and he eats mountains for breakfast! Really great - you will not think so on the way up - but when you reach the top . . . :D

Cheers,

Philip

Yeah, it takes 3 rides to know a mountain, as Pete wrote recently, and I think this is very true.

Anyway, a bit of suffering and then...

I am in! You have hooked me!

Ash

BTW,

I guess approaching nokogiri from the Okutama side is much easier? Can you elaborate when you have a moment? I`d be interested to know.

Ash

BTW,

I guess approaching nokogiri from the Okutama side is much easier? Can you elaborate when you have a moment? I`d be interested to know.

Ash

I do believe that approaching Nokogiri-yama from Rte. 411 (that is, from Okutama) is easier, because you climb the nasty bit: a dirt road covered with pebbles, stones, branches, etc., while you descend a more or less impeccably paved, yet steep asphalt road. Tomorrow Phil and I will take the route Philip and Christoph took last Saturday, so I shall be able to compare. We'll report back. :)

Ash . . .

I got the impression that the Okutama side was less steep, especially towards the lower reaches - but either way it will be challenging :warau: It was nice to exit near Okutama town because you have a combini full of drinks and ice cream just 100 meters up the road :D

Cheers,

Philip

Back
Top Bottom