What's new

The Perp Diaries

A guy in a white pick up truck tried to kill me today.

I'm still dumbfounded by that.
Was that lunatic on herbs or something?
Neither of us were doing anything untoward what-so-ever, and this guy has just tooted his horn from 200m away and proceeded to speed up, brake hard, and swerve to put @D'Pioneer into the gutter!
That is grounds for being locked up where I come from.

Last edited:
Man I'm happy I live on the west side of town.

Commuting to work daily for over 2 years and 2 years to school before that without anyone trying to kill me. The very few near-incidents I've had was probably down do my own neglect in most cases.

So I can definitely recommend the westsiiide homiezzzz!

I'm on west side too @saibot.

This morning to and from the pool.
1) Have to shout at a salaryman and emergency brake as he tries to walk out onto the road.
2) Old geezer walking across the road very slowly, about ten meters away from an obvious pedestrian crossing. Poor guy.
3) Braking to avoid hitting traffic turning right across my lane from the opposite side of the road.
Coming to a YouTube video soon.

There are lots of bugs out down at Saiko at the moment. You have to breathe through your teeth sometimes. @Serious perps

I disagree. They are certainly not outright aggressive, and it is very very rare to have someone actually aim for you, and there are pretty much never things like people shouting stuff as they drive past, or chucking stuff out of windows at you, but I have never been on a ride and not had something happen. The main things that happen here are caused by the people driving not giving a shit about anyone else; not looking where they are going, not giving room as they fly past, pulling out on you, etc. All this happens despite it being impossible NOT to see the cyclist in front of them. This is not better-mannered. It is just a different form of ****tishness.

"They drive like they walk".
This was the best advice I ever heard for navigating about Japan. It means I avoid busy roads and stations, and always expect stupidity and unpredictability.

Taxi overtaking too close by

MAH03040(1).jpg

Because, you know, he has to break 5 m down the road and make that left turn ok
MAH03040(2).jpg

Not sure if it really counts as a "perp" but tonight I was in Fukuzawa when a hakubishin (civet) ran out of some bushes straight across the road in front of me.
Missed it by about 5 feet. Clearly not related to Tufty!

Because, you know, he has to break 5 m down the road and make that left turn ok
I'd have taken his wing mirror off... and probably added another granuloma to my collection.

I'd have taken his wing mirror off...
That's not very diplomatic is it? Anyway, I get stuff like this about once a day (even tough I've recently taken commuting via Arakawa to lessen exposure to traffic as much as possible). Cabbies and motor bikes are the worst in my experience. Motor bikes sometimes overtake me on my left, or go between me and a car when there was not enough space as is... Crazy. Let's start a kickstarter or something on developing handlebar mounted flame thrower or laser beam built into the eyewear or some such.

That's not very diplomatic is it? Anyway, I get stuff like this about once a day (even tough I've recently taken commuting via Arakawa to lessen exposure to traffic as much as possible). Cabbies and motor bikes are the worst in my experience. Motor bikes sometimes overtake me on my left, or go between me and a car when there was not enough space as is... Crazy. Let's start a kickstarter or something on developing handlebar mounted flame thrower or laser beam built into the eyewear or some such.

Can we get some hubs built with rotating scythes a la Boudicca's chariot? Maybe @D'Pioneer can design a prototype....

Im not overly concerned by the motorbikes( maybe because I ride one everyday) and I know they are used to passing close all the time. And I know the other side of the coin, when I'm racing some guy and I decide to take the inside only to have some cyclist in my path. At times like that it's a close pass or lose the race. I mean come on, does anyone really have a choice in this situation?

motor bikes are the worst in my experience. Motor bikes sometimes overtake me on my left, or go between me and a car when there was not enough space as is... Crazy. Let's start a kickstarter or something on developing handlebar mounted flame thrower or laser beam built into the eyewear or some such.

I mean come on, does anyone really have a choice in this situation?
Yes, they do actually. Obey the law, give proper space and don't do reckless riding. Also don't treat the public traffic as a race. Is that too much to ask?

I'd just like to point out that the joking emoji from the iPhone does not show up on the site when used. :glasses:

Yes, they do actually. Obey the law, give proper space and don't do reckless riding. Also don't treat the public traffic as a race. Is that too much to ask?

That's not very diplomatic is it?
I have never claimed to be diplomatic.

I'm a bit worried about how upset I get these days when someone comes so close to committing vehicular violence against me. Satisfying as it would be for a few seconds, I don't think armaments are a viable solution compatible with staying out of prison.

One more problem with car drivers I notice here is how many crawl slowly forward when waiting to turn out into my lane, or turn across my lane from the opposite side of the road. It always puts me on edge thinking they might not have seen me and are just getting ready to gun it.

I'd just like to point out that the joking emoji from the iPhone does not show up on the site when used. :glasses:
Yeah, I figured that might be the case, but when I see someone trying to justify or apologize for attempts at my life, the irony detector takes a back seat sometimes.

I have never claimed to be diplomatic.
I thought this goes with the turf?

Back
Top Bottom