What's new

The only bike that makes Oba-chans look like they’ve just seen something naughty (aka my tandem)

RabidChi

Warming-Up
Jul 18, 2019
I've been asked to write a post about my tandem.
And yes, it turns out that when many Oba-chans notice my wife and me riding our tandem, their face either turns to an expression of amazement or displays a wry smile as if they had seen something naughty. I have some theories on what's behind the latter.

Here it is:
B52A6E7D-1607-4B8C-8EF1-5D3A59F66E9A.jpegA2D646FA-FA65-47F7-9CDD-565DD21FB27B.jpeg

It's a Nazca Quetzal recumbent tandem, meant mainly for touring. I bought the frame and built the entire thing, even laced the wheels. Gearing is 1x12 SRAM Eagle, 44t chainring, 10-50 cassette. 203mm disc brakes. The frame and cables are separable so that it will fit in two rinko bags. It weighs about 24kg, 4 times more than my climbing road bike. But 12kg per person for a steel touring bike isn't that bad. I could provide more technical details, but be forewarned. Imagine a Venn diagram with a circle for each of the following geeky microcosms of cycling: recumbents, folding bikes, S&S coupled frames, 650b randonneurs, 1x road, 12-speed MTBs, e-MTBs, and not the least, tandems. This build would be smack at the intersection. If ever you're interested in one, Nazca's standard builds are perfectly fine. I just like to geek out.

damn man, first I thought what? then how? then, seriously, built it up himself? flabbergasted, I stand with obachans on this one!

S&S coupled frames
But it isn't, is it? I have an S&S-coupled Timtanium road bike, which is wonderful.
If ever you're interested in one
Back in the mists of time I had a folding tandem MTB from @TOM, but the buddy who wanted to ride with me moved away, the missus never showed any interest, and I can only imagine the hassle of negotiating Arakawa gates on one. But I'm still interested in an 'everything with two wheels and pedals' way.

It's coupled, but not S&S. However I used cable couplers usually found on S&S coupled bikes.

Arakawa gates aren't too bad, I just put a foot down, ease it through and fancy myself a tanker captain on the Panama Canal. However the gates on the ramp to Kasaibashi are tedious, we have to walk the bike around them.

Last edited:
I guess your wife puts her feet down at stop lights?

I had a Vision R60 in a past life, could never balance on it confidently enough to... even say I knew how to ride it.

I guess your wife puts her feet down at stop lights?

I had a Vision R60 in a past life, could never balance on it confidently enough to... even say I knew how to ride it.

She stays clipped in, i get to put my foot down. She already gets to put her foot down in most other contexts ;)
I've never ridden a Vision R60 myself, but I can guess that the combination of a high seat, broad seat base and handlebar configuration made it a nightmare to start and stop.
To be honest I dislike the term "recumbent": it's unsexy, says nothing about the use (unlike road, downhill) and lumps together many configurations and characteristics that only have in common that the rider is in a variety of sitting or reclining positions. Plus so many bikes under that broad category are so fugly that I wouldn't be caught dead riding them.

Last edited:
@RabidChi I googled the bike name and found a blog that answered most of my questions. I was wondering how it would fit the tall and the small. The blog I found had the company custom build a frame to fit the short inseam of the bloggers Mrs that didn't fit the range of the standard model.
What kind of routes are you doing on it?

Back
Top Bottom