What's new

The Official TCC Watches Thread

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
In a bid to keep the discussion of watches from spinning dangerously out of control, please use this thread for all watch related postings.

At TCC we do not discriminate on personal watch choice. We encourage all members to share their thoughts and views on whatever timepiece, or timepiece related news they so desire, without fear of judgement by others.

There are some great deals to be had on high end watches at the moment, with prices to fit every budget. I am sure a lot of you would actually be very surprised at just how affordable a beautifully crafted, luxury timepiece can be.

With a bit of searching, we came across this, for example. The 44% price reduction here is something to behold!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

It's probably about 5 years since I last owned a 2,000 yen Casio wrist watch. These days I own several timepieces, none of them analog or mechanical. Not only do they tell me the time (without need for winding or regular motion), they also serve as an alarm clock, MP3 player, GPS, telephone, web browser... I really can't think of anything my timepieces can't do that more expensive watches can do, except rip a hole in my bank account! :D

Recommended reading: "Why Pay More?" by Peter Singer.

That's just silly money, that. Even if I could afford to waste that much money on a watch, I hope I wouldn't.

I've had this thing for about ten years. European Company Watch Panhard M8. It gets very little wrist time - I don't like wearing a watch, much. But it's a nice fighting piece milled from a solid block of stainless steel. Military buffs may recognise "Panhard" as a French military vehicle maker. I think that's the image they were going for with this. Built like a tank.

vroz.jpg

I am reminded that in Douglas Adams' novel, The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, earth's population are described as "so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

Looks like a $395 watch is good enough for the POTUS.

citizen-jorg-gray-6500-series-chrono.jpg

When I use a watch, I use my 1930's Hamilton Boulton which was gifted to me by a ret'd Navy pilot who saw serious action in the Battle of Midway. He preferred it over the standard Navy issue as the rectangular case didn't impinge on his wrist movement. I felt the same when I ride - it's super comfy and don't feel it at all. The 18k gold case is 100% hypoallergenic and the mechanical 22 jewel movement has kept time perfectly for, well, more than 55yrs.

Military buffs may recognise "Panhard" as a French military vehicle maker.

Being a pacifist buff, I recognize it as the name of a series of stylish two-stroke cars.

OK, girly men (and I include myself in that), here's Franz's watch:

diesel_grand_daddy_3.jpg

(A video for it. Incidentally, WtF is the time? Or shouldn't one ask?)

The wris****ch obsession is hilarious, really. The kind of oik who likes to talk REALLY LOUD at the table next to yours in a restaurant flaunts a large wris****ch, showing his marine or aviation fantasies. The advertising hints that with success comes a Patek Phil (or whatever), and thus the PP is a sign of success. Strange: I'd thought that real success meant that you no longer had to worry about time, that for example the pilot of your executive jet patiently waited for you.

Orient (now just part of Seiko) sells "retro future" watches, which include "road bike" models. Bizarre.

The wris****ch obsession is hilarious, really. The kind of oik who likes to talk REALLY LOUD at the table next to yours in a restaurant flaunts a large wris****ch, showing his marine or aviation fantasies. The advertising hints that with success comes a Patek Phil (or whatever), and thus the PP is a sign of success. Strange: I'd thought that real success meant that you no longer had to worry about time, that for example the pilot of your executive jet patiently waited for you.

LOL - pretty say the same about those that drink vintage wines, own sports cars, pedigree dogs or high end carbon road bikes ;)

I love analogue watches, they really are incredible peices of craftsmanship and I actually have a fair collection - over the years some have actually become collectors items, funnily enough they are the ones that were relatively cheap, one is a limited edition 1 or 300 Automatic Astroboy watch released on his brithday in 2003.

I also have a few that make me talk loud at bars and resturants.

I love analogue watches, they really are incredible peices of craftsmanship [...]

I plead mildly guilty myself. Sometimes I wear an old Omega. What's remarkable is how small it is (and no, it wasn't a boy's watch) and how it doesn't scream "Omega" or "I've more money than brains". Wris****ches for males have got bigger and bigger over the decades; I wonder why?

I also have a few that make me talk loud at bars and resturants.

Yes well, you're excused because you actually have something to talk about, other than how royally you screwed over some rival or how much money you made in the last quarter. (Actually Tokyo isn't so bad; it's London where I must choose the kind of restaurant that looks unlikely to attract this kind of flaming dcikhead.)

Wris****ches for males have got bigger and bigger over the decades; I wonder why?

My friend has a Paneria watch. The face is pretty nice, but to be honest each time he raises his arm I fear I'll lose an eye or something. The different muscle mass between his watch arm and watch free arm must be disconcerting.

I really appreciate minimalism and simplicity of design.

Watches!!! Thats not a dangerous obsession that makes you spend too much money on a things made of metal and glass.
I want to see a thread on camera's! Now thats the dangerous obsession.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon 300d, 350d, 400d, 450d, 5d, 5d mk2, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, blah, blah, metal tripod my dad bought me, carbon tripod, blah, blah

Watches!!! Thats not a dangerous obsession that makes you spend too much money on a things made of metal and glass.
I want to see a thread on camera's! Now thats the dangerous obsession.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon 300d, 350d, 400d, 450d, 5d, 5d mk2, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, blah, blah, metal tripod my dad bought me, carbon tripod, blah, blah
Keep me out of that discussion.

Back
Top Bottom