What's new

The land where the bike frames are made...

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Found an interesting article -
http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

Not a huge revelation (we all know that all carbon frames are made in Taiwan :)), but might be interesting for people looking for a "purebred" frame.
I never knew Giant was such a grey cardinal of the bike industry :eek:

Add most of the Japanese carbon frames to that list as well. When I was at Bridgestone all the early carbon frames well made by Giant. BOMA might be one of the few still laid up here in Nippon but they do cost a pretty penny.

Near as I could tell, Kalavinka's frames are all hand laid in Japan...

The thing is, many people make out that frames built in Taiwan are bad.... which is a huge misconception.

Taiwan has spent Billions and I mean billions of dollars on building the cycling industry to what it is. The QA systems they have in place are second to none and they are continuously improving their systems, techniques and infrastructure to remain leaders in the industry.

It's one of the reasons why bike technology has steadily increased and prices have steadily decreases over the years.

Also rumor has it that both Shimano and Campagnolo is manufactured in Taiwan and then assembled on home soil.

Not road bike related, but I know for a fact that the BMX brand Odyssey, and the sub-brand G-Sport are all made in Taiwan.

I know this because George of G-Sport is one of my close friends.

I would challenge anyone to break one of his parts. I have a hub he made in 1997 which is still going strong after 13 years of HARD as hell BMX abuse. He is a stalwart of the bicycle innovation scene and would not use inferior manufacturing for his parts.

So yeah, Taiwan is totally fine now. Superb, in fact!

Back
Top Bottom