What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Help.

I was doing some cleanup and noticed this, seems to be a bit of rock (not glass) pretty well embedded right there. Tire is not that old, only one light season of riding on it. It looks innocuous, but the part facing in must be sharp, in order to do this.

So, leave it as is? Dig it out?

IMG_2478.JPG

One of my road shoes (SPD-SL) is 'blowing out'--the upper is breaking away from the sole. They're ancient, so time for new ones.

Since the ones I have are shimano, I guess I'd stick to them for the same sizing--48 (30.5) is what I have--and I've looked at the RC3 and RC5 online. And the RC3 at least has a wide version, my preference.

Looked at little at wiggle/DHB, but comments in the reviews on sizing, make me think it'd be hit or miss--some say they're spot on, others (and wiggle itself) says to order down a size or two. Also, looked at Y's online, apparently none my size.

Ideas? I'd like plenty of room up front for my feet, comfort priority, and then sometimes winter socks. And I'm not a speedster, so a snug fit would be wasted on me anyway.

The alternative is to swap out the pedals for plain SPD, since I have those on other bikes and those shoes are still fine.

The alternative is to swap out the pedals for plain SPD, since I have those on other bikes and those shoes are still fine.
This is what I'd do. But I'm biased by my choice to never bother with -SL in the first place.

I recently got some great value mountain bike shoes from Specialized that I will defiantly use with any of my road/gravel/folding/mountain bikes until summer, at which point I will switch to sandals. I find them very comfortable to walk in.

1681565536302.png

One of my road shoes (SPD-SL) is 'blowing out'--the upper is breaking away from the sole. They're ancient, so time for new ones.

Since the ones I have are shimano, I guess I'd stick to them for the same sizing--48 (30.5) is what I have--and I've looked at the RC3 and RC5 online. And the RC3 at least has a wide version, my preference.

Looked at little at wiggle/DHB, but comments in the reviews on sizing, make me think it'd be hit or miss--some say they're spot on, others (and wiggle itself) says to order down a size or two. Also, looked at Y's online, apparently none my size.

Ideas? I'd like plenty of room up front for my feet, comfort priority, and then sometimes winter socks. And I'm not a speedster, so a snug fit would be wasted on me anyway.

If it is only the sole that is tearing away from the shoe and the upper is not so bad, you can just use some superglue/bond. It's happened to me a few times. Even mid ride, bond from a 711 can fix it in minutes.

Andy

This is what I'd do. But I'm biased by my choice to never bother with -SL in the first place.

I recently got some great value mountain bike shoes from Specialized that I will defiantly use with any of my road/gravel/folding/mountain bikes until summer, at which point I will switch to sandals. I find them very comfortable to walk in.

View attachment 37797
I was very much interested in getting Recons (2.0 or 3.0), pity they were not available in wide in Japan.

Have a look at Bonts, too. They have a wide toe box, have various optional sizes (including wide, super wide and Asian fit), and their quality is top notch. Despite that, their mid-range models are very reasonably priced: I paid $170 for a pair that would likely cost 50+ % more. (I bought the mountain bike variant, though, but it seems that the shoes are identical apart from the sole.) It comes with a full carbon tub sole and is almost as stiff as my S-Works 7. Despite that, I found them very comfortable while riding. You can also heat mold them.

Regarding sizing, just make sure to contact support first. I wish I had done that, because they immediately gave me the right size after I told them S-Works 7 in 43 Wide fit me perfectly. The pair I linked to is offered in all sizes between 36 and 50. They offer some half-sizes, too.

If it is only the sole that is tearing away from the shoe and the upper is not so bad, you can just use some superglue/bond. It's happened to me a few times. Even mid ride, bond from a 711 can fix it in minutes.

Andy
Hmm, I thought it was only a little bit, maybe 2-3cm, but in looking at it and working things around a little, it appears that a longer bit of that side is separating, just not yet pulled out as much as what I'd seen initially. I should probably write these off as gone, but...

...having a new tube of superglue gel on hand, I put on some of my ever-present latex gloves and have given this a try--emptied the tube in doing so. I'll see if and how well it holds, and go from there.

If this doesn't work, doesn't hold long, or if the same thing happens elsewhere, I think the simplest solution would be to switch to SPDs, so I can just use the other shoes I have.

Just to check back in on this--the gel superglue fix seems to be holding just fine.

(tho I should probably go ahead and get some new shoes)

Just to check back in on this--the gel superglue fix seems to be holding just fine.

(tho I should probably go ahead and get some new shoes)
Those superglued sole shoes are great rainy day spares or winter shoes if you ride the rollers.

Andy

I would not use them outdoors at least. Yes, it may last, but (a) the shoes are very old and every life is finite, and (b) if it fails and you are out in the boonies, you'll have a really bad day.

New cycling shoes aren't that expensive. I got a pair of mid-range Bonts (Riot+ MTB) for $170ish. The carbon sole is excellent and blows e. g. the Sidis I had before out of the water even though they are half the price.

Hi there,
Anyone would have a spare road bike that they would be willing to rent from March 25th to April 1st or so?

Any road bike will do, as long as it's my size (I'm 170cm, ride S with Canyon, 54 with Trek).

I've searched the classifieds before asking, but no rentals there :)

Thank you so much!

Hi there,
Anyone would have a spare road bike that they would be willing to rent from March 25th to April 1st or so?

Any road bike will do, as long as it's my size (I'm 170cm, ride S with Canyon, 54 with Trek).

I've searched the classifieds before asking, but no rentals there :)

Thank you so much!
I'd rent you one but mine is a size 60.

There's actually a decent road bike rental place now in Akihabara, been mentioned in these threads a few times now that Tim Smith is up in Gunma.

Back
Top Bottom