What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Hey @hellerphant,

bit late to the discussion, but here's my two yen: I own a Wahoo Roam and am usually quite happy with it. I think the UX of Wahoo and Garmin Apps afaik is astoundingly mediocre, but the Roam is very legible and the aforementioned features are indeed convenient.

Regarding apps for support/fallback/phone-only: MapOut is a very tidy, flexible and versatile app for offline maps and is based on OpenStreet maps. I've followed the recommendation from Alee Dunham (cyclingabout.com) who used it to travel Japan and I must admit it's really well made. You simply download the chunks of a map (it's a grid) that are interesting for you, to not unnecessarily clog your phones memory. The map design is great and you can of course import routes and places of interest.
Thanks heaps for that recommendation! Will also add MapOut to yet another tool to test and obsess over :p

Thanks heaps for that recommendation! Will also add MapOut to yet another tool to test and obsess over :p
If you're needing something to obsess about, and you like maps, perhaps you'd like to hear more about collecting imaginary internet map squares, i.e., Veloviewer Tiling? ;-) All the cool kids are doing it...

1649684494602.png

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a comprehensive resource for japanese vocabulary on bike parts. I'm a beginner Japanese learner and thought this could be useful (touring) and motivational. Do you know of something in that direction?

Thanks again for you time.

Helpful friends.
Bianchi Via Nirone 105. I know the "hip" flak that Bianchi get, but honestly I like the way it looks, it's in an obtainable price range, and is the gateway for me to grow into the sport. I've looked at Giant, Trek, Cannondale, but the Bianchi draws me back.

Thoughts on this bike though? Decent enough to do a few 100 - 150km rides on?

Excellent entry level bike. If it's new then pay and ride, if it's used then make sure it's in good condition.
Bianchi are a great brand shove the haters. My mate bought one over 15 yrs ago and it's still going strong, replaced one wheel, one shifter and a few pairs of tires.

Helpful friends.
Bianchi Via Nirone 105. I know the "hip" flak that Bianchi get, but honestly I like the way it looks, it's in an obtainable price range, and is the gateway for me to grow into the sport. I've looked at Giant, Trek, Cannondale, but the Bianchi draws me back.
The most, most, most important part of getting a bike is bike fit. At the lowest level this means your bike has the right size. If you don't know your size, go to a shop and play really dumb. Ask them what size you should get. One time I was told that "I should know my size" (and I do, but I was checking how much they know). If you hear answers like this, you should go to a different shop. That's especially true because Japanese bodies typically have shorter limbs, so the fit will be different. Lastly, some bikes are only imported in sizes up to S (I'm not joking), so if you are average-sized, that will limit your choice, too. If you buy used, you should know your size. Again, forgo on all great deals if they are not your size.

The second and more subtle thing is whether the geometry fits you. The result may be surprising, I am not very flexible and I thought coming from a mountain bike, I should get an endurance road bike. Nope, not the right geometry for me, I feel much more at home on something aggressive.

As for the bike itself, it looks like a decent entry-level bike. Anything with 105 parts on it and up will serve you very well. Functionally, 105 is equivalent to DuraAce, just heavier. Another bike to look out for is Cannondale's CAAD10, CAAD12 and CAAD13. These are great bikes and the Japanese market is awash with them. I personally don't like the paintjob on their CAAD13, but that's just personal preference.

To my eyes, the wheels on the bianchi seem below the grade of the 105-level components. But they'd be simple to replace after a season or few, or when a deal came along.

Helpful friends.

Thoughts on this bike though? Decent enough to do a few 100 - 150km rides on?
Whatever happen, just don't make the color match of the celeste green with pink bar tape and bottles.
For some reason, it seems to be a trend in Japan. My eyes bleed every time I see one.

1650273751990.png

I got absolutely drenched on my way home today, jeans soaked all the way through. I wear a rain jacket but what do commuters wear for pants?

Jeans for a bike ride wouldn't be my choice even in dry weather...

Do you have fenders/mudguards?

Whatever happen, just don't make the color match of the celeste green with pink bar tape and bottles.
For some reason, it seems to be a trend in Japan. My eyes bleed every time I see one.

I'll take (A) "celeste" green (even though it used to be blue) plus black plus "shocking" pink in preference to (B) celeste, more celeste and yet more celeste. Celeste saddles, celeste-walled tyres, celeste jersey, celeste water bottles, celeste gloves ... uhh. I've seen it referred to as "fairy barf", but that can also mean this.

I got absolutely drenched on my way home today, jeans soaked all the way through. I wear a rain jacket but what do commuters wear for pants?
When rain is likely then I carry or wear rain pants (unless it's summer and so hot that you you either get wet from rain or from sweat, doesn't matter). I have a pair from Workman Plus that cost me 1,900 yen and it does the job. I have a small and light string backpack that I use to carry the rain gear when not in use.

I never ever wear jeans on a bike. For a start, cotton is not a good choice for when you might sweat. Technical fibers such as polyester are much quicker drying and will be much more comfortable year round. At most I'll wear a cotton-polyester blend, never pure cotton!

Celeste is a pretty marmite color, yes, but it takes all kinds and to some things that are ugly to some appeal to others. I would never dream of wanting a bike frame in this color and I don't know why Bianchis enjoy this level of popularity in Japan, but in terms of the actual bikes, the more expensive ones seems solid from what I understand. The biggest "criticism" (which could be just my ignorance) is that I don't see what makes them special (apart from the color).

Anything with 105 parts on it and up will serve you very well. Functionally, 105 is equivalent to DuraAce, just heavier.
I will go one step further and say that there's nothing really wrong with Tiagra either (and this has been true for a while). OK, you only get 10 speed vs. 11 speed and thus will be unlikely to ever upgrade bits to Ultegra but it's just as reliable as the more prestigious and lighter group sets, as long it's properly maintained. It's a little bit heavier but that doesn't really matter if you're not racing competitively.

Last edited:
I will go one step further and say that there's nothing really wrong with Tiagra either (and this has been true for a while). OK, you only get 10 speed vs. 11 speed and thus will be unlikely to ever upgrade bits to Ultegra but it's just as reliable as the more prestigious and lighter group sets, as long it's properly maintained. It's little a bit heavier but that doesn't really matter if you're not racing competitively.
Yes, in terms of reliability and such, no. For a beginner, I don't have any qualms recommending a bike with Tiagra. Although I think for availability and compatibility's sake, having 11 speeds is an asset since e. g. you can get parts right away at any non-mamachari bike shop. Only if one wants to add e. g. a power meter or so do you need to go above Tiagra.

I like to recommend 105 because you have no functional limitations, full compatibility with higher-end groupsets at a good price.

Thanks for all the advice. I have had a look at some Canondales and at the entry level sub ¥200,000 I like the look of the Bianchi most and it seems to have a decent set of components. When I step up the budget, I'm in love with the Canyon Edurace and the Canondale Synapse personally, but I just don't think it's smart to spend that coin when I'm just getting into the hobby (although I really want to haha)

But new job and less pay means this is going to be a purchase for next year. I'm already wishing I had a road bike instead of the cross bike for longer rides, but at least I have something to hit the roads with for now!!

Celeste is a pretty marmite color
Celeste is to Cycling what BRG is to motor racing. It harkens back to an earlier age and carries cachet.
Why are BRG BMW built Minis so popular? Romanticism. Pink and celeste is pure Italian cycling celebration. Colors are like butts, all in the eye of the beholder.

Back
Top Bottom