What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

If you are willing to try, you can file down the 10 speed freehub to make an 11 speed cassette fit.

I wouldn't do it myself but seen it done at the.shop here.

Andy

I might give that a try. Doesn't look like an 11s freewheel will fit on an old 10s shimano so filing it down may be the only option.

Hello!
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm trying to find a bicycle that'll fit my needs.
I would like to use it for commuting and long-distance traveling on the weekends/holidays.
I used to ride a hybrid Raleigh before it was unfortunately stolen. I suppose something similar to that type of bicycle would be preferable. I don't have a lot of knowledge on bicycles, so if anyone could point me towards a direction to fit my needs, that would be greatly appreciated!
(my budget to spend is around 50-60,000 yen, plus some for accessories like pannier rack/panniers).

Thank you!

Hi @koreannewbie , are you looking for a flat bar bike or drop handle bar bike? How far is your commute and how far is long-distance traveling?

You are probably looking at used bikes so tell us your size and we maybe able to search for something. and welcome.

I think there was a red Salsa Fargo for sale here a while ago.
May try to dig out that thread.

I bought this for 52000 yen. I posted it with my blog here.
Upgrade the tires and look at my picture what else I bought.
I'm happy with it.
On thing I've notice with the upgraded tire is, if you are a bit over weight, the wear and tear will start to show in about 7 months. Just thought I'd let you know that.
If you pack your camping gear, yes, get the upgraded heavy duty tire.

Thank you all for the replies!
The commute is about 10km, so not so far.
I definitely prefer flat handles.
The "long-distance travel" distance I'm thinking of is anywhere between 200 - 400km.
My size:
Height - 175cm
Weight - ~88kgs

That blog helped a lot because I looked at some escape as well. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you all for the replies!
The commute is about 10km, so not so far.
I definitely prefer flat handles.
The "long-distance travel" distance I'm thinking of is anywhere between 200 - 400km.
My size:
Height - 175cm
Weight - ~88kgs

That blog helped a lot because I looked at some escape as well. Thank you for sharing!
Asahi Cycles or Y's Road are two big chains that would be a good place to start if you're looking to buy new. Cycly is a good website to look through to see what you can get for your money second-hand. There are a lot of bikes on Yahoo Auctions and Jimoti sold privately (plenty of commercial sellers too). If you buy second-hand, you'll obviously get more bike for the money. You are lucky because you aren't really tall so you should have more bikes to choose from. Best of luck!

T
Asahi Cycles or Y's Road are two big chains that would be a good place to start if you're looking to buy new. Cycly is a good website to look through to see what you can get for your money second-hand. There are a lot of bikes on Yahoo Auctions and Jimoti sold privately (plenty of commercial sellers too). If you buy second-hand, you'll obviously get more bike for the money. You are lucky because you aren't really tall so you should have more bikes to choose from. Best of luck!

Thank you for these recommendations! found a store near me, will check it out soon.

I think there was a red Salsa Fargo for sale here a while ago.
May try to dig out that thread.

@koreannewbie this is the bike I remembered. It's the Vaya not the Fargo.

@koreannewbie this is the bike I remembered. It's the Vaya not the Fargo.
That one is a bit out of my price range currently :(

I also went to look at Cycly near Kawagoe (where I live), and they didn't have much in stock.
I will check out some Tokyo shops soon, if I can.

Thank you all for the help and the advice!

That one is a bit out of my price range currently :(

I also went to look at Cycly near Kawagoe (where I live), and they didn't have much in stock.
I will check out some Tokyo shops soon, if I can.

Thank you all for the help and the advice!
That's a shame about Cycly. I live in Kawagoe too and I noticed they'd reduced their inventory a little when I was in there last week. There's also a Buychari in Kawagoe (nearish to Maruhiro). it's a bit like Cycly.

If you want to go for a ride sometime, let me know. I know a pretty quick and low traffic way to the mountains from Kawagoe that you might not know about.

I could go with you to Buychari one of the days if you want. They actually seem to have a fair few bikes in there ATM. Not sure what's in your price range, mind. I think I saw a Merida drop bar tourer/commuter bike that wasn't too expensive.

Anyway, if you want to go together, let me know.

I could go with you to Buychari one of the days if you want. They actually seem to have a fair few bikes in there ATM. Not sure what's in your price range, mind. I think I saw a Merida drop bar tourer/commuter bike that wasn't too expensive.

Anyway, if you want to go together, let me know.

A ride would be awesome!
I first need a bicycle though, and planning on buying one at the end of the month once I'm more free.

Maybe I'll go out to Buychari this Thursday afternoon, if you'd like to come out. That'd be cool to get some knowledge on the spot

Hi there!
It's not flat handlebar, but I have a bike for sale on here. I'm 175cm myself, but the bike comes with two different length stems so you can switch between them for fit. It's an "endurance" type road bike, so has a higher front end and wider handlebar than a pure racer. This makes it more stable.

I have a bike box to send it in and for 50,000 yen will post will cover the postage myself. I've bought from BuyChari before and you're actually best off buying from their Yahoo Auctions site. I bought one bike of them on the auctions, picked it up at the Minato Mirai store, and it had a price tag on it from the store that was close to double what I paid.

My bike doesn't come with eyelets for panniers, but there are many other ways to fit racks and carriers to bikes. One simple way is bolt on clamps called "P clamps". It is safer to use these on a metal frame bike (mine's aluminium) than a carbon one. Other solutions attach a rack to the seat post and/or the rear axle.

For commuting, it is also possible and probably best to use mudguards. There are also lots of clip on ones for road bikes and mountain bikes not originally designed for mudguards. Some may interfere with whatever carry rack you choose. To get a bike that'll take mudguards, panniers and still ride well enough for big 100km plus days, 50,000 yen sounds like a very tight budget. You'll probably have to compromise somewhere.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has compact gearing. Japan has lots of long and steep climbs. Changing gears on a bike you've bought is an easy way to waste money (cough cough, SRAM prices in Japan).

Hi there!
It's not flat handlebar, but I have a bike for sale on here. I'm 175cm myself, but the bike comes with two different length stems so you can switch between them for fit. It's an "endurance" type road bike, so has a higher front end and wider handlebar than a pure racer. This makes it more stable.

I have a bike box to send it in and for 50,000 yen will post will cover the postage myself. I've bought from BuyChari before and you're actually best off buying from their Yahoo Auctions site. I bought one bike of them on the auctions, picked it up at the Minato Mirai store, and it had a price tag on it from the store that was close to double what I paid.

My bike doesn't come with eyelets for panniers, but there are many other ways to fit racks and carriers to bikes. One simple way is bolt on clamps called "P clamps". It is safer to use these on a metal frame bike (mine's aluminium) than a carbon one. Other solutions attach a rack to the seat post and/or the rear axle.

For commuting, it is also possible and probably best to use mudguards. There are also lots of clip on ones for road bikes and mountain bikes not originally designed for mudguards. Some may interfere with whatever carry rack you choose. To get a bike that'll take mudguards, panniers and still ride well enough for big 100km plus days, 50,000 yen sounds like a very tight budget. You'll probably have to compromise somewhere.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has compact gearing. Japan has lots of long and steep climbs. Changing gears on a bike you've bought is an easy way to waste money (cough cough, SRAM prices in Japan).

Thank you for all the advice! I just had to looked up what compact gearing was. This was helpful

Back
Top Bottom