What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Does anyone have a trick how the loosen stainless steel bolts seized up in an aluminum frame?
I read about heat, but haven't tried it yet due to lacking tools.

EDIT, what bolts?
WD-40 or KURE CRC 556
Spray some on there and let it sit for a bit. Repeat a few times a dayfor a few days. just spray and walk away.

Then attempt to TIGHTEN the bolt. That's right tighten it - the tiniest fraction of a turn is sufficient and it will break the seize much easier and with far less risk of snapping the bolt than trying to loosen it first. THEN loosen it a bit. If it binds up, tighten it again and then loosen it - it will turn a bit more this time Tighten it again, loosen a bit more, etc etc etc. This will usually do the job though it may take a lot of tightening/loosening to unscrew it completely without damage.

If you are unable to succeed in the first step - slight tightening - then apply some heat with a propane torch (butane lighter) to the AL - yes, the penetrating oil will light up! Heating with a torch will FUBAR paint in most instances.

If THIS doesn't do it then just give it up and use a nut breaker.
source

Last edited:
Maybe buy a couple here to use now and then send some of the cheap pads to your parent's or a friend's place for picking up next time you are in Europe. I'm guessing the €10 price is the very cheapest you've seen them. The cheapest I see them here is ¥1,980 (with free shipping), so about €16 at the current exchange rate.

EDIT, what bolts?
The bolts are attaching my rear rack to the frame. 2 out of 5 are seized up, one at the top one at the bottom. All of the other bolts are fine.
So far I wasn't able to move them even a bit. I'll try your way. Hopefully it'll do the trick. Unfortunately my WD-40 is lock up at the Uni workstation until Jan. 6th. But I'm sure I'll get my hands on a can somehow.
Thanks a lot, @kiwisimon.

Okay so hit the spray, wait a few days and then you can put a hex wrench in the bolt head ahd heating the hex wrench will heat the bolt and the surroiunding aluminium as well. You may lose some paint but nothing that can't be painted over with a small brush and touch paint. Take your time and try not to force things.

Yeah it's a small amount total, but in terms of % points, it's like I'm paying double compared to these guys kinda thing. Went to town for other business today and dropped by Y's. The pads were 1900yen plus, and tax excluded. So that seems to be what it is in Japan.
I perfectly understand your motivation.
But if you are talking such small absolute amounts, you will jump through a lot of hoops to save an inconsequential amount of money, especially once labor is included.

Once we are talking bikes, wheels or whole groupsets, though, the answer is very clear if all you care about is money. I'm really conflicted about how to buy my next bike: I could order it online and save a substantial amount. On the other hand, I know that I would like a proper LBS, and to keep that in business, that person lives off of the markup. And what is sad for them is that their wholesale prices are sometimes above the prices end consumers pay when shopping online.

Last edited:
how long do you usually get out of one chain? for all my years of cycling, I have yet to change a chain because of wear. I've replaced them when I change gear ratios, or as part of an overhaul preemptively, or when damaged. I think I've ran 5-6,000 km on a chain, without it showing even the 75% wear on the gauge tool. so I started suspecting the cheap BBB tool I had and recently bought a proper shimano one, but something tells me this is not the issue. just did a check on the gravel bike - 3,000km on that chain and not the least sign of any loosening...

how long do you usually get out of one chain?
On my mountain bike 3,000-4,000 km, I think. With mountain bikes it really depends on how clean you keep your drive train and what kind of abuse you subject your bike to. Front chain rings last about 7,000-8,000 km, I think. On my road bike the front chain rings look like they are in pretty good nick. I have had to change the chain once, but can't really say how long it lasted, because I don't know how many km @Karl put on the bike before selling it to me.

This guy gets 15000kms out of one chain with his chain wax (around min. 5.30-6.30). According to him, the cassette has to be replaced after 3 chains (45000kms). That's a lot of riding...
I like the clean drivetrain you get with waxing, but it has to be done quite regularly and requires some items that I don't have. So probably will stick to my 5 minutes WD40 Spray and rub (avoid getting it near any bearings)...

I never clicked the link but presume it's waxing at about every 500kms or so?
I have used the wd-40 routine for over 20 years with a monthly "good wash". With a new bike on the way I'm getting a new chain and will use the wax method for a year and see how it goes. I used to change my chain once a year when I did a tear down and replaced cables and bar tape but the last few years it's every couple of years.

My chain (Ultegra) is still in alright condition after around 15.000 km with only basic care (brushing, quick wash with dish soap, wiping, applying oil on each link).
Therefore I guess it also depends how it's used. I hardly ride in the rain (with that bike), I'm rather a "spinner" (not the German meaning...well I let others judge) than a "grinder", and most of my riding include hardly any climbing.

Yeah I'm not complaining that chains last long, but my experience would be 5 to 6 thousands km and still no sign of wear. Cassettes, chain rings, much much more, can't even estimate those, esp chain rings. So all's good apparently. Thanks

Yeah I'm not complaining that chains last long, but my experience would be 5 to 6 thousands km and still no sign of wear. Cassettes, chain rings, much much more, can't even estimate those, esp chain rings. So all's good apparently. Thanks
Maybe that 2,000 mile rule is for optimal performance on a proper racing bike. I've done about 4,000 km on my CAAD since I got it and the drivetrain is not so snappy anymore/ shifting's noticeably worse. I imagine I'll end up replacing the chain at the same time I get the cables done. Tbh, I'm probably going to have my LBS do all that.

Last edited:
I wax. (TMI, I know.) Usually get 5,000 km or so from a chain. I have a chain wear tool to get an objective verdict. With three bikes in regular use it's more effort to keep track than to just wax 'em all and check 'em at the same time. Switching from 8 -> 9 -> 10 -> 11-speed over the years, I have subjectively noticed that shifting precision has become more sensitive to chain wear. (Everything's on 11S now, so I only have to keep one spare chain.)

Yeah chain wear tool is good to have. I started to doubt the old one, because it never showed the chain worn out, so I got the "proper" Shimano one now. The gravel bike has 3 thousand km, still no wear showing. The road bike, 3,800 or so, still going strong apparently... I use Strava to track various parts on all the bikes, pretty neat feature

Back
Top Bottom