What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

I think you've got a very fine and solid bike right there and for most people it'd would be all they need (need ≠ want) for road cycling at least. A set of nicer wheels and maybe calipers (if your not feeling comfortable with the Tiagra) would make it feel like a new bike.
I've got an old steel bike which had oldish Shimano WH-R500 wheels (I got them handed down) after the original wheels where done. I really didn't like how it felt with those wheels and I was so happy when the rear wheel finally broke. I got some old Mavic Aksium wheels (whichactually really isn't a great wheel set on paper) from a friend and also got some Tiagra calipers. I really love riding that bike again. It feels like riding a new and almost modern bike (at least until I've to reach for those downtube shifters).
If it's all for the N+1 and bling thing, then there's probably no other cure than +1.

I just bought a Lezyne Super Pro cycling computer. It's water resistant but I was a little worried about taking it out for a long ride in the rain this morning. Should I be worried or will it be fine in steady rain so long as the USB port is not exposed?

Lezyne claims IPX7 water resistance which is pretty standard for GPS units. It basically means the unit can dropped into a bathtub for half an hour and it will still function.

I would not recommend recharging via the USB port while it's raining, but with a properly designed USB port even that isn't a major issue. Rain water is distilled water which is very low in ions and therefore has low conductivity, so it should not easily short a USB port.

I get a squeaky front wheel when I'm descending. When I stop and spin the wheel there's no noise. I changed the brake pads recently so that might have something to do with it. Does anyone have advice about how to go about fixing something like this? Maybe some kind of order for things to check.

what about when you freewheel on the flats. can you hear it then?
Not when I was out riding the other day, but I haven't checked when applying significant downward pressure on the bars on the flats. Sorry for the vagueness of my question - first time getting squeaking like this.

Come to think of it, the squeaking was most pronounced on the steepest sections.
Diagnosing squeaks can be frustrating as the origin is often deceptive.

What kind of wheel attachment? What kind of brakes? If QR, I'd look to grease the spindle, dropouts, bearings in that order. If caliper brakes, are they centered? Open up the release lever and see if the squeak goes away. Squeaky spoke is rare but possible.

Any movement in the headset? (Quick test for this is to hold the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth, while looking at the interface between headtube and fork crown.

Come to think of it, the squeaking was most pronounced on the steepest sections.
What bike were you on? Not the Cannondale?
I'd check your stem to bars connection and torque to spec. A thin sliver of carbon paste if you have any might work or a slice of greased aluminium drink can if you don't. Also if you were braking from the hoods check the bolts and tighten if needed. Oh and as your weight shifts forward on the saddle descending check those bolts as well.

I get a squeaky front wheel when I'm descending. When I stop and spin the wheel there's no noise. I changed the brake pads recently so that might have something to do with it. Does anyone have advice about how to go about fixing something like this? Maybe some kind of order for things to check.

@saibot has a really good video about this on his channel Rides in Japan. Worth a watch.

@Half-Fast Mike
@kiwisimon

Thanks for the helpful suggestions about the squeaking. The first thing I'll do is tighten down all the bolts with my torque wrench and, if that doesn't work, I'll grease up the bits around the QR.

@Karl I'd forgotten about that vid. I'll give it a rewatch too to get some more tips.

Hello from Malaysia,
Kind of new to this forum and hope I post in the correct thread.
Plan to get myself a first road bike and the brand that caught my attention is the Miyata Bikes. Seem like hard to find this brand outside Japan, any idea how to get one?? Whether any bike shop in Japan do provide international shipping??

any idea if there's any way to obtain shimano parts under normal prices now that various overseas dealers can't ship officially to Japan? don't need anything much, just brake pads (L03A aka Y8PU98040). amazon.jp sells them for 2,100 yen, rakuten and yahoo.jp similar prices or higher if you include shipping. meanwhile, in europe they go for 11-12 euros?! any hacks, workarounds? I need to replace the current pair and would get maybe a spare pair. if I can get it under the eu price, it would mean one pair free essentially...

order them from your LBS and shipping is free? They may even swap them out and check your bike over at the same time.
The savings on small parts is in my experience a good investment in the LBS being there in the future.
Every time I go to the LBS I buy some tubes, chain links,lube or something I don't need at that time as 1) I like the guy 2) I like having him there when I urgently need something.
1980円 with free shipping here.

don't have a competent and accessible LBS unfortunately. would love to form such a working relationship with one if it was around tho. a new one sprung up about 2 years ago, but it's pretty slow, can be expensive, and some work I had done there (had my steerer cut and brakes bled) was mediocre

about the pads, I've seen a lot of these sold without packaging. some for as low as 1,400 yen or so. but that can go for about half at alibaba... who knows what you're buying in that case tho (I'm sure they're very solid but probably mainland made copies)

I need to replace the current pair and would get maybe a spare pair. if I can get it under the eu price, it would mean one pair free essentially...
Brake pads are small, why don't you ask your family to send them over? On the other hand, aren't you overthinking here? I understand you, strike that, we are paying more for Shimano products in the country Shimano is based in, but we are talking about a very small amount here.

Why don't you invest this into having a good relation with your LBS?

Yeah it's a small amount total, but in terms of % points, it's like I'm paying double compared to these guys kinda thing. Went to town for other business today and dropped by Y's. The pads were 1900yen plus, and tax excluded. So that seems to be what it is in Japan.

Did not plan it at all but I ran into a saddle that seems like it might check all my boxes and I bought that now. It's like 10th saddle I'm gonna try on this bike. I know I need help, but not the kind this thread is meant to provide...

Back
Top Bottom