What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Has anyone tried taking a (rinko'd) bike on the bus line from Kawasaki to Sodeguara (Chiba)?
It's definitely possible. There's no reserved seating - you just turn up. So in the morning it would be best to get a bus that leaves Kawasaki before 7 a.m. to avoid most of the commuters and/or shoppers going to Kisarazu Outlet Mall. When bus arrives, ask driver nicely if it's OK to bring bicycle. They'll stow it in the cargo hold - drive side up, please! If you've a bungee cord, it might be handy to stop the bike sliding around down there.

On average it takes about 1 h ¥1440 by bus, whereas the train journey is 1 h 48 m ¥1663.

@Half-Fast Mike That's good to read they helped. My dad had some injections but he felt they didn't do much.

Regards my injury, I still have some inflammation in the joint and occasional clicking and locking when I move it (non load bearing). I'll continue with the physio and swimming and see how it feels when I go back to the doctors next month.

quick Q about the area where the pads hit the rotors. my rear rotor shows wear marks from the very start of the braking surface, while the front marks only start about 2mm inward to the hub side. why such a discrepancy on a part one would expect doesn't tolerate much deviation (setup is the same F/R) and is this something one should worry about?

rear:

1566218521230.png

front:

1566218556355.png

Think the system has some allowance for slop. Should be ok. However check your rear pad is making full contact. If there's a part that overhangs over time there will be a ridge worn into it. When the ridges on both sides meet in the middle your brake will lose power.

If there's a part that overhangs over time there will be a ridge worn into it. When the ridges on both sides meet in the middle your brake will lose power
Great point. I noticed this on my CX bike rear brake (still mounted with washers and stuff from the hardware store instead of a proper Shimano 140-to-160 adapter). The ridges on the pads peeled off with just finger-pressure, but were enough to stop the brake working properly until then. (Knowing this means I can continue to be lazy about buying that part...)

can't believe that's a thing, but thanks for letting me know. had a quick look just now, but could not immediately confirm. I might need to wait till there's a bit more wear in the pads...

About putting a disk brake bike in the train bag (rinko). Has anyone experienced this, and how to prevent it: rotors getting contaminated by the drive-train lube which might rub off on the right side of the bag first, then gets to the left, rotors side once the bag is folded... Or am I just overthinking it?

Might be getting a little too paranoid, but you can try a disposable shower cap over the rotor.

never had a problem as the grease is at the bottom of the bag and the rotors are half way up the bag. I guess a plastic bag over the rotors if you're really worried.

the grease is at the bottom of the bag and the rotors are half way up the bag.

not really sure. the cassette and RD with the chain going through there are all at about the same position as the rear rotor. so it seems very probable some of the lube would rub off on the drivetrain side of the bag. then when you fold it, it's gonna match with just about the rotor position on the left side of the bag... so it's plausible at least, but it looks like it's not happening so I'm happy to give it a go and see

rotors getting contaminated by the drive-train lube which might rub off on the right side of the bag first, then gets to the left, rotors side once the bag is folded.
I've probably done 50 or 60 rinko journeys with DB adventure bike and my filthy MontBell bag. No signs of braking problems or contamination so far.

I tend to strap the front wheel to the frame with the disk facing inwards. I haven't really given much thought as to whether that's the best orientation for it. The rotor nestles on the water bottles.

I like @Cactaur's idea of a plastic shower cap. Or if you want to spend more money, Amazon's got you covered...

Unknown.jpeg81ostSvJrKL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Hi All,

I have a friend coming over for a short stay in early October and we hope to get out for a couple of rides. Rather than lug her bike all the way up from Aus, I wondered what options there were for a decent bike to hire for rides in and around Tokyo?

Sadly she's not a member of the RCC, otherwise that would be an easy win....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Ollie

I need a new rear light.
I had the Busch & Müller IXXI and actually liked everthing about it, only it was way to sensitive against water.
After two rides in the rain attached to the seat post just below my saddle bag on my commuter with fenders (and therefore the light wasn't exposed to the rain directly) it won't turn on anymore.
Does anyone have a recommendation?

Tim has a heap of bikes in all sizes
Unfortunately GS put rentals on hold (I hope all ok...?). Rapha are fully rented out, so are there any other local options for a bike rental at short notice?

Hi Tokyo cyclists,

I have a similar question. A friend is visiting me the first november weekend and we want to do some roadcycling in Tokyo and Kanagawa. Do you have recommendations where to look for a road bike rental in Tokyo?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom