What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Hello Helpful Thread,

Anyone have experience with coldsetting (widening dropouts) to go from a single speed to a geared bike? All I want to do is add some simple Shimano SIS gears (say three) to a child's bike. I've watched several how to vids on YouTube so I know the theory but I'm interested to hear from people who've done something a bit like this before.

Cheers!

on a kids bike? How much spread to you want? the stays are really short so to get a good spread you are going to stress the welds a whole heap. By the time you buy the new wheel or get a hub and lace it to a suitable rim...... and then buy the shifters, cables and spend the time trying to get both arms bent the right amount...... might be easier to buy another bike and flick on the bike you have now before it got possibly junked by a home mechanic. YMMV

@kiwisimon

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you might be right. I'll most likely be buying some more junk parts (frame, etc) soon for 'experiments'. Though I'm also considering tearing down the family mamachari (which only I really use) to understand that bike a little better.

What does 'flick on the bike now' mean. I haven't heard that phrase before.

Incidentally, the rear wheel on my daughter's bike isn't true, so I might need to look at trying to fix that too🤪

Here for (bad) home mechanics everywhere!

flick on = get rid of, if possible get some cash as well. What size bike does she/ you want?

Got you. The size is fine. It's just not suitable for longer rides. I think I'll do a little more research and keep my eye out for a suitable frame and a group set to put on it. Obviously I don't want to throw crazy money at something like this as she'll only grow out of the bike in a couple of years and I'll need to flick it on😁

This article is interesting for anyone looking at kids bikes. I'd rather she'd Sagan it with a mountain bike first. Way more fun than a roadie for kids!

how old is she? @andywood he gets off the boat might be able to give you some tips but with mine it was intersting places and not too far away on the mountain bike that got them excited, and taught them good bike handling skills. The boy rode a smaller road bike when he got to about 10 but nothing over 20kms(with lots of stops). The girls chose MTBs and even now will happily jump on one to take the bumpy way to the tennis courts e.t.c at 14yrs old.

@kiwisimon

I know your son's got the diverge now. What did he have from 8 to 12? Did you get him a brand like Giant or something similar? To be honest, I was surprised how rubbishy some of the components are on my daughter's bike considering it was around 25-30,000 yen. Unfortunately, I didn't have benefit of hindsight when I bought it😔

Last edited:
We've done a lot of riding (relatively) the last 12 months. As I said previously, though, the single speed just doesn't cut it anymore.

Last edited:
We got all the kids second hand Giant MTBs. They are quality frames and the Shimano Componentry is fine. Secondhand we saved on purchase price and were able to sell them on at a good cheap price and keep the build up of too small bikes to a minimum.
Son was on a Fuji Ace racer with 650 wheels until 6th grade (and an MTB for goofing around with his mates) and then I got a carbon frame in a small size that took him thru to about 14 when he preferred the bmx bike. Bikes don't cost a lot buy buying used and kids don't care about as long as they can ride.

Attachments

• fuji-ace-650-220756-1-1.jpg
    fuji-ace-650-220756-1-1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 4
how old is she? @andywood he gets off the boat might be able to give you some tips but with mine it was intersting places and not too far away on the mountain bike that got them excited, and taught them good bike handling skills. The boy rode a smaller road bike when he got to about 10 but nothing over 20kms(with lots of stops). The girls chose MTBs and even now will happily jump on one to take the bumpy way to the tennis courts e.t.c at 14yrs old.

On the plane this year. 10,000 yen return via booking.com. Cheaper than a trip to Tokyo!

For my kids a road bike was a good choice as we are surrounded by traffic free velvet roads! Also, they wanted to join me in road races so it was the way to go for us.

Races are about the only time they ride them though. Too busy with other stuff!

Andy

so, RDs with clutch function now. I get the idea, but why on/off switch? don't you want in on all the time and keeping the chain under control?

so, RDs with clutch function now. I get the idea, but why on/off switch? don't you want in on all the time and keeping the chain under control?

I think that the idea is you ride with the clutch engaged but if you want to remove your wheel for maintenance or cleaning, you disengage it.

I think that the idea is you ride with the clutch engaged but if you want to remove your wheel for maintenance or cleaning, you disengage it.
Yes. Also for fitting a chain.

I see, so it's basically on all the time, while in use. just disable it when disassembling etc. makes sense. gotta catch up on my dealer's manuals before I start messing with all this new tech: clutch, thru axles, hydraulics... sheesh I'll be going tubeless next!

dear helpful thread, I got another one.

the seatpost on my commuter keeps sliding. after 4-5 years of riding it, this started maybe 6 months back or more. things I've tried so far: roughen the seatpost with a blade and rough sand paper to try and get it to bite better; changed the clamp; tried tightening to a higher torque... each time it's OK for several weeks, and later I just notice it feels strange and sure enough, when I check it's sunk about 1.5 cm below where I need it to be in about a month of riding or so.

I guess the next logical thing would be to get a new seatpost, but before I try something radical as that, and splurge several thousand yen, I though if anyone has any good suggestions? both the frame and the post are aluminum alloy (so I guess no fiber grip?). please refrain from suggestions to "get a new bike" etc. I know it's our favorite, but is starting to wear thin no? ;) but if even with a new seatpost this keeps happening I guess it would mean the seat tube has gone to the dogs?

Back
Top Bottom