What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's not much more expensive to just buy a set. I just wondered how much I'd really use it. At the moment, the only carbon component is the fork.
Just get a torque wrench. If you plan on upgrading parts over the years, it's nice to be able to tighten them to the right torque without worrying about stripping the thread and potentially causing lots of expensive damage to both you and the bike.

The wiggle one is 34xx yen at the moment. The torque key is 2000 yen. It's a no brainer really. I torque all my bolts btw, not just ones that clamp onto carbon. I have two wrenches. One that meansures from 2Nm to around 12Nm then another beefy one that does from 10 to 100Nm (good for installing crank arms, cassettes. etc)

Hey this works. I don't even need a valium anymore, cheers.

Excuse me for asking, but what is "valium"? Is it like "air pressure" in the tires? :)

Hi folks!

I'm planning a trip to Japan in may - june 2020. I'll ride from Tokyo to Sappora and further in Hokkaido on my Trek920.
Are there bike friendly hostels in Shinjuku area or close where I can take my bike inside (my room) and maybe store my bike box for one month (which I need to take my bike on the airplane)?

Any recommandations for bikeshops in this area?

greetings!

Is your bike box a big investment or just an ordinary cardboard bike box? If the latter maybe easier and cheaper to trash the one you come with and get another one before you leave? Don't know about hostels but if you have your bike in a bag I usually just take it into the room in a business hotel.

Thanks @Kangaeroo I was right there, back and forth three times and still didn't see it. I didn't see any signs or anything. Weird.

Next time I go, may have to have someone leave me a breadcrumb trail.

Weird. As someone with absolutely no sense of direction, I can understand how that happens, though.
I guess I would say to look for the blue tent and the bike frames, but I was led there by a friend and wouldn't be able to find my own way back again....

I was all over the neighborhood where GS Astuto was supposed to be (my first attempt to visit there). I couldn't find it even though I used the web site directions. Can someone post the current location of GSA?

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 10.23.18.png

Does anyone have experience with fixing mamachari type bikes? I got a bit overzealous trying to tune up my daughter's rear mechanical disc brake and now the band doesn't seem to work properly when I actuate the brake😔. The brake is a really cheap one btw. Will post pictures tomorrow if anyone thinks they can help.

youtube has a heap of videos that might help. Might be quicker and less stressful to just go new bike shopping presuming your daughter is growing at a good clip.

@kiwisimon

I haven't delved into mamachari repair YouTube, yet, but if needs must. I did try to find an online manual for the bike and the brake but I drew a blank. There are a couple of limit screw type things coming out of the brake that seem to change the position of the band but I don't quite understand how they need to be set (though that may not even be the problem). For interest, here is the brake and here is the bike (the purple Mezzo Piano Junior).

I won't be buying a new bike just yet as it's only a year old and it's still in reasonable nick given how much use she's had out of it.

The screws need to be set to adjust the amount of tension the band puts on the drum.

your local bike shop guy should be able to suss it out pretty quickly if you haven't done too much already. Mechanics best friend is a home mechanic with more tools and ambition than know how. Luckily bikes are cheaper than cars.

Back
Top Bottom