What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

mitsumine jinja route is about 1,100 to 1,200 m elevation and reachable from kawagoe. I've been up mikaboyama once, and was pretty cool, but took a wrong route descending - some long forgotten rindo so full of debris I had to basically be braking all the time

Arima is closed from the Naguri side until next April. Why not head out to Fuji?
He wants somewhere he can ride out to and back from Kawagoe. Fuji would be about 140km one way meaning a nice 280km round trip.

Jyomine is around 1000m in elevation and not too far from Kawagoe. Still might be pushing it to get a round trip under 160km. If you get the train back from Ogawamachi on the Tobu Tojo line then it might be doable.

Here is a route including Jyomine

When you are climbing this much, you should definitely check the weather report for the summit separately (I usually use meteoblue.com), and take a jacket with you if necessary. Moreover, pack plenty of water and pace yourself. I climbed a 1,600 m mountain last weekend and almost blew up after 2/3 because it was so hot and humid (32 degrees at 87 % humidity in Sendai). I made it up alright, but instead of keeping up the brisk pace of the first 2/3, I had to spin up in my grovel gear. Next time I will take my backpack with my 3l bladder and pack more food.

As for the downhill, I don't know the area where you intend to go, but keep in mind that the area might be popular with hikers, people in cars and on motor cycles as well (at the mountain's summit there was in fact a traffic jam, and I couldn't do the last 100 m of elevation to the ski resort I wanted to go to). I'm a father now and don't really want to take unnecessary risks.

Thanks for the advice everyone🙏

@luka I didn't know about Mitsumine shrine and it looks very beautiful. It's also well within range and over a 1000 meters. I will definitely look into doing that ride this autumn/winter.

@Sibreen thanks for the info about Arima san. Unfortunately Fuji is too tough for me to do in a day. My plan with Fuji was to do a tour at some point.

@leicaman I didn't know about the jomine route. It looks like a great ride though as far as I can tell the elevation never gets over 1000m.

@OreoCookie i feel you about the weather conditions. I was pretty thankful that I took my rucksack with extra water, a change of clothes and plenty of food when I went out yesterday.

I think what I'll probably do is head to jomine next as I'm already familiar with the Shiraishi part of the route. It would also be the hardest ride I've done (150-160km/3500m+). If that goes well, I'll do mikaboyama, which would be a bit harder again (180-190 km/4000m+).

Anyway, thanks again. It's an enjoyable time at the moment as I get to know the limits of my manor. Though at some I'll have to buy a rinko bag and start paying to travel!

@stu_kawagoe
The top of Yanagisawa Pass is a bit over 80 km from you. It also has a small place to sit down and eat.
https://www.strava.com/segments/17278616
Thanks for the suggestion, Grant. I rode to the very beginning of Okutama a couple of months back but no farther - it was a spur of the moment thing after something I had on in Ome. I didn't realize the rode went up quite that high. I'll have to check it out🙂

@OreoCookie i feel you about the weather conditions. I was pretty thankful that I took my rucksack with extra water, a change of clothes and plenty of food when I went out yesterday.
It was a learning experience. As a mountain biker-turned-road rider I am still trying to adapt. On a MTB you take a backback with you by default on longer tours. And I should have done the same, but I wanted to save 2-3 kg or so. I didn't think I'd start weight weenie-ing so quickly ;) :p Especially in very hot weather water is instrumental, and you don't always know you can get drinking water often enough.

I think what I'll probably do is head to jomine next as I'm already familiar with the Shiraishi part of the route. It would also be the hardest ride I've done (150-160km/3500m+). If that goes well, I'll do mikaboyama, which would be a bit harder again (180-190 km/4000m+).
I think anything >3,000 m of elevation is already quite hard for a ride, so kudos for aiming for >4,000 m.

Thanks for the advice everyone🙏

@luka I didn't know about Mitsumine shrine and it looks very beautiful. It's also well within range and over a 1000 meters. I will definitely look into doing that ride this autumn/winter.

@Sibreen thanks for the info about Arima san. Unfortunately Fuji is too tough for me to do in a day. My plan with Fuji was to do a tour at some point.

@leicaman I didn't know about the jomine route. It looks like a great ride though as far as I can tell the elevation never gets over 1000m.

Anyway, thanks again. It's an enjoyable time at the moment as I get to know the limits of my manor. Though at some I'll have to buy a rinko bag and start paying to travel!

Sorry, that was the wrong route. This is the one that skirts around 1000m. I think Jyomine is something like 950m actually so if your goal is to say you climbed a 1000m mountain, then this isn't probably the best route for you 😜.

My 3yo daughter loves being on the bike with her dad so I've tried to take her out on some little adventures when I've been able. She also loves little trains and I've tried to get her away from the concrete jungle of Tokyo so we've done rides from the Kururi line to the Kominato, Kururi line to Kameiwa Cave, Kominato to Awamata Falls to the Isumi Line and taken the Enoden line one way and ridden back along the coast. I'm trying to research some rides for the next year and am open to suggestions that anyone may have that might suit us. She loves going through tunnels and I hope to find some more natural settings to show her and little trains aren't essential. About 1.5 hr train travel from Ichikawa and 30km distance would be ideal but we could possibly do some bigger trips. Any recommendations?

Did you try the lake at Kasumigaura? I haven't been but it looks like it might be a good one to ride round with kids. The national park at shinrinkoen in Saitama is great (you can also hire bikes) but that might be a bit far for you.

That's the Musashi Kyuryo National Government Park you're referring too? It looks like it's worth the extra travelling time.

I've often looked at Lake Kasumigaura when looking at pre-bub ride options but always headed to the Boso. I'll zoom around it on Google Earth & Maps when I have better internet and see what's there.

Thanks.

That's the Musashi Kyuryo National Government Park you're referring too? It looks like it's worth the extra travelling time.

I've often looked at Lake Kasumigaura when looking at pre-bub ride options but always headed to the Boso. I'll zoom around it on Google Earth & Maps when I have better internet and see what's there.

Thanks.

I too recommend the forest park. It' great to ride around with the kids. Take a picnic!

Andy

Was there a group/forum/Facebook page specifically for women expat cyclists? I have a vague memory of such a group but generic searches are leading me to generic results. I know someone that's relocated to Yokohama and she's looking to get back on the pedals. (I've already advised her re this group and of the Half Fast mob.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for good bike shops in and around Tokyo that sell second hand bike parts? I'm thinking maybe a recycle shop that has lots of bike stuff. I just thought it would be fun to go to a place like that, if one exists. There's actually not a bad flea market/car boot sale at the water park in Kawagoe. Maybe somebody knows some other good flea markets too.

@Gok I just went over to have a look. Wow! So many second hand parts. Big collection of bikes and some decent sizes (numerous 54s and a selection of 56s). I also thought the pricing wasn't too bad either for retail. I looked at the website and it seems they push a lot of stock through Yahoo! Auctions. Personally, It's nice to go and look at all that kind of stuff in a real shop🙂

I'm looking to convert my quill stem and change my old fork at the moment and they had most of what I needed to do that. Tons of stems and three or four different forks. No adapter but they guy said they do get them in but that's easy enough to find online:

Thanks again, @Gok!

Back
Top Bottom