What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Ah, onto the chain where it's right at the top of the cassette -- yes, obvious now that I think of it.

My brain needs an upgrade

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
s there any effective way of dealing with this design of can? (Am I supposed to fire it at a cloth, and then use the resulting "quick spray action the highest quality" cloth to wipe the chain? But that seems perverse
that stuff is expensive.😲

Spray it into a small cup and then use a fine paint brush to wipe it on the links. But as soon as it rains you'll wish you had our green label friend on your chain. Good for race day if it's fine or the indoor trainer though.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
My regular chain lube is "Finish Line wet". Aside from the fact that the chain reverts from grey to black within 10 km of application, it works well for me. (And to be fair, the blackness may be due to my incompetence rather than the species of lube.)

But I also have a can of "Naskalub":

View attachment 32775

Down the top two thirds of the left of the can as shown in this stock photo is a thin tube. You swivel this up ninety degrees or so and press the button on the top of the can, and "quick spray action the highest quality" [I quote] comes out of the nozzle.

It's horribly difficult to position the nozzle just right; and if one did somehow manage to do this, most of that quick spray action [Hmm, sounds like a species of pr0n] would surely be bounced back by the chain. So I position it a little short of the chain, and fire -- and an estimated 90% whizzes past the chain and lubricates the concrete below, the spokes, the rear rim, whatever.

Is there any effective way of dealing with this design of can? (Am I supposed to fire it at a cloth, and then use the resulting "quick spray action the highest quality" cloth to wipe the chain? But that seems perverse....)

(I rather wish that I didn't have the damn thing, but throwing it in the trash would not be environmentally friendly. So I'd like to use up its content.)

The chain going black after 10km is normal as the lube gets the remaining dirt out of the chain. Just wipe it off with a towel.

I am using a similar spray can now. Spray it directly onto the chain above the smallest cog on the back. One revolution of the chain is enough. Then run the chain through the cassette a few times before wiping off.

Andy

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Thank you, all!

But as soon as it rains you'll wish you had our green label friend on your chain. Good for race day if it's fine or the indoor trainer though.

Anyone who's ridden "with" me (gone ahead of me and waited for me to catch up) will be chuckling at the notion of me participating in a "race day".

Come to think of it, I've never participated in any advertised event. Numerous nations have "Eroicas", and many of those nations have less commercial alternatives. I can imagine an 'eroic "200" event: (1) age of bike + age of rider > 100; (2) 100 km. I might sign up for that. (No, this wouldn't discriminate against you young whippersnappers; you'd just have to ride older bikes.) But it might rain, so even there I'd be using my green label friend.

Top Bottom