Help The Helpful Thread

pedalist

Maximum Pace
I was a running out of time when wroting the post above.
Here are now a few more details on my problem.
A while ago I got new rotors (180mm) and pads.
I installed the front rotor using an flat mount adapter (not exactly this one but basically the same kind https://www.fahrrad.de/reverse-is-pm-disc-adapter-shimano-180-mm-hinten-M121680.html)
I bedded them in and they worked nice and quietly, but only for a short time.
I didn't so any bigger rides (actually I didn't ride the bike much at all). After one dusty ride the front brake started squeaking loudly and the braking power went down a lot.
I cleaned the pads and rotor, but the noise would not go away.
I got special brake cleaner, changed pads (no new pads though),
sanded the pads down, played around with the position, but nothing seems to help.
Then today I noticed that the marks on the rotor look a little off.
It's just a bit confusing that the brake was working well before (right after installing).
I hate the squeaking, but I'm even more annoyed and worried about the poor braking power.
I've got no clue what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kangaeroo

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Sounds like you did everything properly but it's probably contaminated pads. Switch your rotors and pads with the rear ones that don't squeal and see if that works. Might be quicker to just buy new pads if sanding them hasn't cleaned them. You have tried rubbing alcohol on the rotors?

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
@pedalist this looks and sounds a lot like my cheap shimano setup on the CX bike. if my experience is anything do go by, the whole setup is inadequate. I found that braking power always went down after several weeks, and required thorough cleaning, repositioning of the piston position AND bedding it all again to kinda get some braking power back. but it tended to go down over time anyway. I put it to low quality of all the parts involved, esp rotor and the caliper, as well as to the inherently less reliable cable system, as opposed to the hydraulics

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
but at least you can be sure that the position is not that far off. leaving a mm or two on top is within the acceptable range, and certainly better than having them positioned too high and missing the rotor by a similar amount. so no need to worry about caliper position based on those braking marks in my opinion

pedalist

Maximum Pace
Sounds like you did everything properly but it's probably contaminated pads. Switch your rotors and pads with the rear ones that don't squeal and see if that works. Might be quicker to just buy new pads if sanding them hasn't cleaned them. You have tried rubbing alcohol on the rotors?
I skipped the alcohol since I thought brake cleaner is already as far as one could go. I'll give it a try.
I think I'll go with new rotor and pads for the front. I don't want to touch my rear brake set up since it's performing great.
It's a little unsatisfying not knowing what wrong, though.

pedalist

Maximum Pace
@pedalist this looks and sounds a lot like my cheap shimano setup on the CX bike. if my experience is anything do go by, the whole setup is inadequate. I found that braking power always went down after several weeks, and required thorough cleaning, repositioning of the piston position AND bedding it all again to kinda get some braking power back. but it tended to go down over time anyway. I put it to low quality of all the parts involved, esp rotor and the caliper, as well as to the inherently less reliable cable system, as opposed to the hydraulics
That sounds like a real pain. I hope that' turns out different in my case. One thing that keeps my hope alive is the great performance of the rear brake with the same set up (only 160mm instead of 180mm).
Btw, it's an old simple hydraulic brake (Tektro Auriga Pro).

Reactions: Kangaeroo and luka

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Helpful thread, how much would you pay in Japan 10, 20 and 30 years ago for a top of the range production road bike? My interest was piqued when I saw the new Tarmac is retailing for 1,452,000 yen!

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
I have no idea. but that's a high end bike. High end cars are expensive too. A Ferrari depending on the model can be around 25~30 million. I guess that's not helpful though. I have ridden the Tarmac sl5 and sl6 though. I didn't like the sl5 very much as it was harsh but the sl6 was the best bike that I have ever ridden (not saying much). That was a rental in CA and was not s-works, and was ultegra. The groupset didn't seem to add or subtract to the bike feel though. I just loved the way it cornered and climbed. I remember my huge smile and my sadness at returning the rental. I rode the new Roubaix last time I was over (in CA) and didn't like that very much although it was a huge improvement over the previous model.

Regardless... I'm sure you would feel just like this if you dropped the wad of cash on it.

Sorry. I don't think I answered your question. Hopefully someone else can chime in with numbers.

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
That’s useful context about Ferraris @wexford. I did look seriously at the Tarmac when I was deciding what bike to buy last year. However, in an ironic twist, I went with Cannondale mainly because my LBS was a pretty big dealer for the brand but a few months latter he mainly started stocking Spesh and no Cannondale anymore!

Cheers for the info @kiwisimon. That was just what I wanted to know. How did your Kestrel ride? Much different to the race machines of today?

Last edited: