What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Does anyone have experience with installing Ultegra Di2 or similar on their bike? I wouldn't want to replace the whole groupset as there's plenty of life in my crank and brakes, so I thought I could just replace the shifters, front/rear mech and buy the assorted electronics separately. Is it that simple?

For interest link to review

Last edited:
Anyone know when the Norikura skyline road is officially opened / unofficially traversable? I see it's marked as closed right now ... but, the gate blocking cars looks puny from streetview. More curious about how much snow might be left up there in a few weeks (late April).

Anyone know when the Norikura skyline road is officially opened / unofficially traversable? I see it's marked as closed right now ... but, the gate blocking cars looks puny from streetview. More curious about how much snow might be left up there in a few weeks (late April).
There's snow at the side of the road (and people skiing on it) in late July, and they'll close the road at around 1500 m (with guards in attendance) any day in bad weather. I've been up there in really thick fog several times, and it's nerve-wracking. I don't know the answer to your question, but just saying please don't die on that mountain (or any other).

I 2nd mike, the first two letters of that mountain say it all: before mid summer it's NO in my book. but again, I've seen you brave many other challenges that were clearly off the charts in my risk assessments so...

For a biggie this early in the year, there's always the other side of Matsumoto, Utsukushigahara, Hachibuse, Venus Line etc.

Norikura is the highest road in Japan. The highest public road, R292 at Shibu Toge, opens from the Nagano side on April 24. Its about 1800m vertical gain from Nakano. There will be plenty of snow by the road up there!

I've got to replace the disc (rear) on my MTB and will get some brake pads along with it.
At the moment I'm running a RT-56 160mm in the front and am quite happy with it (good stopping power and quite as a mouse), but would swap the disc with a 180mm (out of curiosity only).
In the rear I'm running an old 160mm Tektro disc at the moment. In combination with old pads it has bad stopping power and is super noisy.
I want to keep the budget low and therefore was thinking of Shimano RT-56 180mm disc (resin only) and B01S pads (resin) as this set up works well in the front.
Or is it worth looking into other combinations?
Most of my riding is on paths and single tracks incl. some tricky trails, but no long descents or downhills. Overall I think I'm more on the xc side of riding, but basically just goofing around and having fun really.

I really like the Shimano disc / resin pad combo. The sintered pads are good if you're getting stuff super hot, but they are definitely noisier. If you fancy spending money frivolously, you could consider getting some floating rotors.

These serve minimal practical function on a bike other than looking cool - but they make pinging noises as they cool down which I think makes them worth the money :)

@thooms thanks for your input.
I guess this time I'll go with what worked (Shimano RT56 disc and B01S resin pads) and just move up the discs size to 180mm.

I might consider fancy disc when I've got a fancy bike some day. But usually simplicity, function and cost/performance are most important to me. Nevertheless style can't be ignored completely though.

Doing some route planning. Looking to get from Chichibu to Nishi-Urawa with the least possible time on main roads and max time along rivers or little used roads. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area so if anyone who lives up that way or uses the Arakawa to get to Tokigawa or Chichibu (@stu_kawagoe @luka ) has any recommendations or improvements to the route below, I'm all ears.

@Karl largely OK. between km mark 32 and 56 I have a better route (I mean the classic TCC one) on the back roads but no way I could find it on the map. all in my head. but this should do for your purpose I think

I need some help. I lost the original funnel adapter (the thing that screws into the brake lever first when bleeding, and then the cup fits onto it). so I got a new one, pictured below, but it won't screw in at all into my brakes. could it be that there are more standards for this little bugger and I got a wrong one? this is for my GRX levers, and I fixed them up before using Ultegra 8000 series funnel, so there must be some degree of compatibility. just wanted to see if I can go from pretty good to great lever feel, since my bike is always stored upright and there might be some air raising to the levers, that was my thinking... such a small piece but can ruin the whole plan!

1588576613735.png

ok, got this solved. a friend showed me that indeed there are different ones, and sure enough I got the wrong one! back to square one for me

1588578869140.png

Hi hive mind! Quick question.
trying to buy tubes online. Having trouble deciphering which have removable cores as I need that for the 80cm rims I have.
Can anyone list the brands that have removable cores, and those that don't?
Thanks

You are going to screw on the extenders to a regular tube that has a removable core right?
Try Mavic
https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/....html?sc_i=shp_pc_search_itemlist_shsrg_title
also on Amazon and yahoo Auc

Panaracer

E bay for bulk buying search x2 KENDA 700 x 20-28c Super Light 60mm FV Presta Valve Bike Removable Core Tube

This may not be helpful to anyone but Sean mentioned Norikura earlier up. Coincidentally, I keep getting a Youtube ad for Adobe Lightroom which uses a photo taken on the Norikura Skyline. That's the viewpoint on the Skyline road looking towards Yarigatake.
Lightroom ad.jpg
The bike is a Liv Avail from a couple of years ago. I know because I got my daughter one the same colour off Yahoo Auctions, but with rim brakes.

Is it just these old eyes, or does it look like there are too many gears on that cluster?

Quick question!
Are there stores that rent out bicycles (preferably road or cross) for a long duration (10-12 days)?
or, is there anyone here that has a spare bicycle that they are willing to rent out?
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom