Help The Helpful Thread

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
@Half-Fast Mike That’s good to read they helped. My dad had some injections but he felt they didn’t do much.

Regards my injury, I still have some inflammation in the joint and occasional clicking and locking when I move it (non load bearing). I’ll continue with the physio and swimming and see how it feels when I go back to the doctors next month.

Reactions: Kangaeroo

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
quick Q about the area where the pads hit the rotors. my rear rotor shows wear marks from the very start of the braking surface, while the front marks only start about 2mm inward to the hub side. why such a discrepancy on a part one would expect doesn't tolerate much deviation (setup is the same F/R) and is this something one should worry about?

rear:

1566218521230.png

front:

1566218556355.png

Cactaur

Maximum Pace
Feb 3, 2014
Think the system has some allowance for slop. Should be ok. However check your rear pad is making full contact. If there’s a part that overhangs over time there will be a ridge worn into it. When the ridges on both sides meet in the middle your brake will lose power.

Reactions: luka

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
If there’s a part that overhangs over time there will be a ridge worn into it. When the ridges on both sides meet in the middle your brake will lose power
Great point. I noticed this on my CX bike rear brake (still mounted with washers and stuff from the hardware store instead of a proper Shimano 140-to-160 adapter). The ridges on the pads peeled off with just finger-pressure, but were enough to stop the brake working properly until then. (Knowing this means I can continue to be lazy about buying that part...)

Reactions: Kangaeroo

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
can't believe that's a thing, but thanks for letting me know. had a quick look just now, but could not immediately confirm. I might need to wait till there's a bit more wear in the pads...

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
About putting a disk brake bike in the train bag (rinko). Has anyone experienced this, and how to prevent it: rotors getting contaminated by the drive-train lube which might rub off on the right side of the bag first, then gets to the left, rotors side once the bag is folded... Or am I just overthinking it?

Cactaur

Maximum Pace
Feb 3, 2014
Might be getting a little too paranoid, but you can try a disposable shower cap over the rotor.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
never had a problem as the grease is at the bottom of the bag and the rotors are half way up the bag. I guess a plastic bag over the rotors if you're really worried.

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
the grease is at the bottom of the bag and the rotors are half way up the bag.
not really sure. the cassette and RD with the chain going through there are all at about the same position as the rear rotor. so it seems very probable some of the lube would rub off on the drivetrain side of the bag. then when you fold it, it's gonna match with just about the rotor position on the left side of the bag... so it's plausible at least, but it looks like it's not happening so I'm happy to give it a go and see

Reactions: kiwisimon

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
rotors getting contaminated by the drive-train lube which might rub off on the right side of the bag first, then gets to the left, rotors side once the bag is folded.
I've probably done 50 or 60 rinko journeys with DB adventure bike and my filthy MontBell bag. No signs of braking problems or contamination so far.

I tend to strap the front wheel to the frame with the disk facing inwards. I haven't really given much thought as to whether that's the best orientation for it. The rotor nestles on the water bottles.

I like @Cactaur's idea of a plastic shower cap. Or if you want to spend more money, Amazon's got you covered...

Unknown.jpeg81ostSvJrKL._AC_UL320_.jpg