Help The Helpful Thread

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Anyone have a recommendation for a vice? I'm looking for something that's portable and relatively inexpensive.
You want a vice that is portable? What the hell for ? 😜
I bought a cheapish one from super viva home in Oi Machi and have been very happy with it. It’s currently bolted to my bike workbench. Not sure I’d ever want to/need to move it.
6576181B-37E6-4DF1-AED1-253129ACB3DB.jpeg

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
My question has been ruined 😩

What I meant by portable is something that I can use and then store away as I don’t have a dedicated workbench like @leicaman. To be honest, the best place I have to work is the yard, so something I could use out there would be great. As far as I can tell from the pics, @Half-Fast Mike ’s looks to be a little more mobile - it’s not bolted down, right?

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Anyone have a recommendation for a vice? I'm looking for something that's portable and relatively inexpensive.
Actual vices have been covered (and I have one of the suction up types). But depending on what you need to hold, and how, an alternative might be this other thing I have (and which is common here).

I've struggled to find pics, but another choice is like a small collapsible table--folds kind of flat when not in use. Folded out, it's a good meter high. Its "top" is two parts--two finished 'boards', about 1x4 size (say, 90mm wide x 12mm thick), each about 60cm long. These boards have some holes pre-drilled, and each has a couple of plastic pieces that clip into those holes. On one side there are some hand cranks, and with those, the two boards (= vise 'jaws') can be cranked together to hold something. The plastic pieces are just additions to adapt the boards as jaws to hold different things.

Upside is that you also get a foldable table/bench, while also being able to hold something in place. And it'll also hold big things, much larger pieces than a regular vise. (Less jaw power, so you're less likely to smoosh what you're working on.)

Downside is that its clamping force is much less than a real vise, doesn't hold as well, and it's more designed to hold larger wood stock, than smallish metal pieces. It does have a kind of stability, but it's still a small table and doesn't have the fixedness of a vise bolted to a solid bench.

Sorry, no name for this comes to mind. They're common at any home center.

Got it. And you could bolt/attach a real vise to one of those to double your fun.

Last edited:

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Actual vices have been covered (and I have one of the suction up types). But depending on what you need to hold, and how, an alternative might be this other thing I have (and which is common here).

I've struggled to find pics, but another choice is like a small collapsible table--folds kind of flat when not in use. Folded out, it's a good meter high. Its "top" is two parts--two finished 'boards', about 1x4 size (say, 90mm wide x 12mm thick), each about 60cm long. These boards have some holes pre-drilled, and each has a couple of plastic pieces that clip into those holes. On one side there are some hand cranks, and with those, the two boards (= vise 'jaws') can be cranked together to hold something. The plastic pieces are just additions to adapt the boards as jaws to hold different things.

Upside is that you also get a foldable table/bench, while also being able to hold something in place. And it'll also hold big things, much larger pieces than a regular vise. (Less jaw power, so you're less likely to smoosh what you're working on.)

Downside is that its clamping force is much less than a real vise, doesn't hold as well, and it's more designed to hold larger wood stock, than smallish metal pieces. It does have a kind of stability, but it's still a small table and doesn't have the fixedness of a vise bolted to a solid bench.

Sorry, no name for this comes to mind. They're common at any home center.

Got it. And you could bolt/attach a real vise to one of those to double your fun.
It's called a workmate. Black and Decker made the original.

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
I actually had a quick look at those generic Workmates when I was in Viva Home the other week. Definitely a decent option to consider. Thanks for the advice everyone.

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Hello Helpful thread,

Anyone care to share a picture of their predominantly white bike* (either current or former steed)? I’m tempted to go Cashmere on my new CAAD. Bit of a classic color with the Cannondale and its Liquigas heritage and all that.

* White bikes you’ve seen and liked to on the internet, etc, work too.

Cheers!

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for @bloaker
I have always loved a classic white. With a little money and a little restraint, you can do just the right amount of accents and it will look better than any paint job.
When I was looking at the Soma - My niece has just had cancer surgery... I was going to deck it out with Chris King headset, hubs, & BB. They were doing a limited edition pink and with that being the color for the Susan G. Komen foundation - i almost went that route.

Now there is the sexy matte black Fargo & CK has a limited edition matter pink out......

Anyhow - to me there needs to be balance.
Loud Paint = conservative components.
Basic Paint = Wild components

Reactions: stu_kawagoe

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
I have always loved a classic white. With a little money and a little restraint, you can do just the right amount of accents and it will look better than any paint job.
When I was looking at the Soma - My niece has just had cancer surgery... I was going to deck it out with Chris King headset, hubs, & BB. They were doing a limited edition pink and with that being the color for the Susan G. Komen foundation - i almost went that route.

Now there is the sexy matte black Fargo & CK has a limited edition matter pink out......

Anyhow - to me there needs to be balance.
Loud Paint = conservative components.
Basic Paint = Wild components
Fairly nice looking Dale with bling highlights here

Edit - I'm still debating whether to get on the tan wall train...

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
大田区
Giant store in Futakotamagawa has been good to me. They have a few test bikes to try out, including a size "S" and "M" TCR Advanced (second store on this list: https://giant-store.jp/test_bike/). I race on a TCR Advanced and it's done me fine.
Bit late but thanks for that link for which stores had which sizes of test bikes, was quite helpful, I ended up trying and buying one from their Itabashi store:tup

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Can I get a recommendation on a budget torque key (not Park Tool)? I was thinking about buying a wrench set but figured it would be overkill for my needs.

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
I

I got the X-tools essential torque wrench set from Wiggle (about 3,500 yen) and I've got no complaints with it.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's not much more expensive to just buy a set. I just wondered how much I'd really use it. At the moment, the only carbon component is the fork.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's not much more expensive to just buy a set. I just wondered how much I'd really use it. At the moment, the only carbon component is the fork.
Just get a torque wrench. If you plan on upgrading parts over the years, it’s nice to be able to tighten them to the right torque without worrying about stripping the thread and potentially causing lots of expensive damage to both you and the bike.

Reactions: stu_kawagoe