What's new

Help The Good Deals Thread. Post your links and shops.

I'll start.

Akibaoo, that small chain of shops in Akihabara peddling cheap memory sticks and cheaper takoyaki makers, also do Panaracer tyres via their online store. Some of them are far cheaper than elsewhere

http://www.akibaoo.co.jp/GoodsList.jsp?category_id=&keyword=700c+タイヤ

Of particular note are the Race A and L Evo 3 in 25c and (gasp) 28c for about 3000 to 3200 yen a pop.

Even the GravelKings are around ¥1,800 cheaper than my (very good) LBS. Great link.

Campagnolo Bora One carbon wheels. 35 or 50 mm, clincher or tubular, light weight, proven braking performance and reliability.

I've seen these stickered up with "Reduced from 326,000 to 266,000" in a couple of LBS, but are currently available at 167,000 for clincher and 141,000 for tubular from Evans Cycles.

https://www.evanscycles.com/search?text=bora+one

(Add 10,000 for shipping, 10,000 for taxes.)

I would think twice about ordering anything from Evans
  • In Japan they deliver using one of the big international couriers who charge a fortune in handling fees if you get hit with tax. Last time a pair of cycling shoes ordered from them cost 800 JPY in Tax but over 1,000 JPY in handling fees. Wiped out the 20% VAT save
  • I recently ordered a mountain bike to be delivered in the UK to my parents. I got an e-mail from Evans very early yesterday to say it would be delivered, if they were out then no problem it would be redelivered the following day and it would not be left with anyone else or in an outside location. My parents were going to be out for the day yesterday - but so no problem it should be redelivered today. But no..... Evans decided to ignore all their own rules. Yesterday they knocked on my parents' neighbour's door - he is 86 years old - asked him to sign for a parcel (they didn't show him it first) and then dumped the bike in its box on his doorstep and ran away. He couldn't get out of the front of his own door until my parents came back and it sat there all day with anyone being able to steal it.

So if you want my opinion, Evans = scum

I would think twice about ordering anything from Evans
  • In Japan they deliver using one of the big international couriers who charge a fortune in handling fees if you get hit with tax. Last time a pair of cycling shoes ordered from them cost 800 JPY in Tax but over 1,000 JPY in handling fees. Wiped out the 20% VAT save
  • I recently ordered a mountain bike to be delivered in the UK to my parents. I got an e-mail from Evans very early yesterday to say it would be delivered, if they were out then no problem it would be redelivered the following day and it would not be left with anyone else or in an outside location. My parents were going to be out for the day yesterday - but so no problem it should be redelivered today. But no..... Evans decided to ignore all their own rules. Yesterday they knocked on my parents' neighbour's door - he is 86 years old - asked him to sign for a parcel (they didn't show him it first) and then dumped the bike in its box on his doorstep and ran away. He couldn't get out of the front of his own door until my parents came back and it sat there all day with anyone being able to steal it.

So if you want my opinion, Evans = scum
They delivered my helmet to a random address in Akita and refused to accept responsibility. Seconded for the Evans hate.
On the other hand, Merlin and Wiggle are both fine in my experience.

Good input so far.

Wow, does Evens do their own delivery in the UK?
The e-mails advising delivery time and date and how it should be delivered all come directly from Evans, but I imagine they subcontract the actual delivery van. Either way it's their responsibility to ensure safe delivery and not, through their conduct, trap an 86 year old man in his house

Nope. It's the delivery companies fault, not Evans. Although not sure whose fault delivering it to a completely wrong address was.
It was Evans in my case.
They sent my delivery to someone who had bought something from them two years prior. Thankfully, the invoice inside was to the right person, so the guy contacted me directly and posted it on COD. Lovely guy who had some unnecessary hassle thanks to Evans' unwillingness to help.

The e-mails advising delivery time and date and how it should be delivered all come directly from Evans, but I imagine they subcontract the actual delivery van. Either way its their responsibility to ensure safe delivery and to not trap an 86 year old man in his house
Yeah, don't disagree at all with that :)
Worded in a way that my dyslectic 2nd language skills understood that as Evans made their own delivery.

To add to Evans experience, I ordered a reasonable expensive (maybe ¥25000-¥30000 don't quite remember) saddle and was hit with about ¥5000 or there about in import tax and fees witch I felt was a bit much. Saddle eventually broke and Evans handled that without problem. So warranty handling has been good.

Bike24 habe been very accomodating refunding me for a tire I bought two years ago that had a manufacturing defect. They charge for shipping to Japan, butI if you do larger orders, the full price often is cheaper than wiggle, crc...

There is a shop selling a few RudyProject helmets, brand new, starting price 3,900 including delivery via Yahoo Auction. I got one for 3,900, tried it tonight for
a couple of hours. Comfortable, reasonable airflow and the fit is good for a gaijin head unlike many helmets sold here. Not top of the range but good VFM IMO.
Looks like he has a few more left....

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e193889283

Not precisely in line with this thread but information for those buying online (and I'm hoping it leads someone to tell me where some good SRAM deals are online from UK firms).
Wiggle stopped selling SRAM to Japan a couple of months back. A few days ago Chain Reaction has done the same (realise they are owned by the same company). Just managed to get a couple of things out of them (delivered Friday) before the wall came down. I'd previously spoken to a customer service rep at Wiggle who told me SRAM are trying to shut down all the cross-regional selling of online gear.

Talk about a way of driving people to buy Shimano! (esp. given it isn't even that easy to buy SRAM stuff locally in Japan)

6000Y for a set of hex wrenches? This is the good deals thread you know!:glasses:

Thoroughly recommend getting a handled L-bend hex set if you haven't got one. Most useful set of tools in the box and Canyon are selling off the Park version (600 JPY cheaper than Wiggle or CR). You can get cheaper alternative brands on Amazon.co.jp, but these are the bees knees and you will never regret buying them...
https://www.canyon.com/en-jp/accessories/#category=specials&subcat=T003&id=60253

Heh. 108 yen at Daiso. With free key ring.
View attachment 14604
Noooooooooo. Sloppy tolerances, rust prone, annoying springy wire binding. Avoid.

Now, if you want some good ones for a great price, you need Custom Japan. You need an account to see the prices, but it's worth it. Usually they have free shipping on their first order with no minimum, so I ordered the following:

Spoke keys (same as the Park Tool ones) - 290 yen each for the three sizes. Black is the standard one for regular nipples.
013040030_4.jpg

https://www.customjapan.net/product/detail/106167

Allen keys. Made of hardened chrome molybdenum vanadium, so extremely hard. These are the flat end version instead of the ball end version, but they're excellent. Will last forever. Only 798 yen for the set, which is an absolute bargain. You can get a version with ball ends for 1180 yen.
1322070072_1.jpg

https://www.customjapan.net/product/detail/96546

Park Tools esque versions (200 yen to 600 yen each depending on gauge. The 5mm is 319 yen.
https://www.customjapan.net/category/100004/200314/302207/402762/501660
https://www.customjapan.net/product/detail/75599?c=501660 (5mm version)

Back
Top Bottom