What's new

Ride The flying comb over - Sunday 08/07/16

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Ride3.jpg

Start time:
Around 6am Musashi Itsukaichi Stn. We are coming by car so may be a bit early or late. Bags can be left in my car if you are coming by train. We finish back at the station.
Food: Stops for food and water, conbini or sit down lunch if thats the vibe.
Up: Around 3200m probably. Climbs are WATT, within reason. The pace will be pretty solid absolutely not a beginners ride, but not a race either....(Well, except when we're racing)

Last edited:
I went up Mt Nokogiri last year and there was a short washed out section on the northern side of the mountain. Can anyone confirm if this has been repaired? @Half-Fast Mike might have the skinny on it.

Any way, cool route, have you got a RWGPS link for it?

I went up Mt Nokogiri last year and there was a short washed out section on the northern side of the mountain. Can anyone confirm if this has been repaired? @Half-Fast Mike might have the skinny on it.
Nokogiri was passable two weeks ago, but as usual there are plenty of little and big rocks around.

There aren't many route that I want to punch in the face. But this one is one of them.

Get him outa here... Go on get... Him... Out. Weak! That's what I've been reading around here. TCC doesn't win anymore. Half fast has more members and does more rides. Ride Japan manages to get paid to ride. We used to win, we don't anymore....but don't worry. We're going to make TCC great again.
Now, get him outa here....send him to Izu and make him go kayaking or something.

There aren't many route that I want to punch in the face. But this one is one of them.

Last edited:
I would like to announce my vice president of TCC candidate, Kawa! We get on great, he's a great guy. He knows about walls, hitting them anyway. He's going to be great! There is no-one better at making maps. Trust me, When we make a map, we never lose. We win, and we're going to do a lot more winning with these maps! You can ask him about it, but you don't need to because he agrees with me, on everything. Winning maps. Win!

TheBlob seems to have a brilliant brain to plan routes for him.:crafty:

I would like to announce my vice president of TCC candidate, Kawa! We get on great, he's a great guy. He knows about walls, hitting them anyway. He's going to be great! There is no-one better at making maps. Trust me, When we make a map, we never lose. We win, and we're going to do a lot more winning with these maps! You can ask him about it, but you don't need to because he agrees with me, on everything. Winning maps. Win!
Is he good at fixing things? Hope he can fix this broken country.

Oh! And one other very important question..... Does he have a relationship with Putin?

Top ride yesterday! The weather was not as brutal as the forecast said it would be. Still I suffered on all the climbs. A few weeks with no real climbing left me underperforming.
We cut one climb from the route after kawa had a crash and required some patching up. Still he didn't complain and we continued on. Plenty of selfie stops And incessantly refilling the water bottles!
The first two climbs were dirty and wet. Tomin was tomin... But the last valley was beautiful. Two climbs and the rest was descending. Fantastic, scenic riding. Ended it all with onsen and ramen as is now becoming the tradition on these car trip adventures!

Great stuff!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Excellent day in the saddle. I was up at 4am to get to the meeting point by 5am so already had a good warm up by the time we set off in the car. After we arrived at Musashi Itsukaichi station we quickly got ourselves organized and headed out, more or less straight into the first climb. It was a rude awakening no doubt - I'm used to hammering the flats for 50km before any elevation so my legs were complaining madly at this sudden change in routine. The forest was cool and with plenty of shade and the road condition not dissimilar to Kuroyamasantaki or Imori for the first two climbs - quiet, mossy, plenty of forest on the pavement, and potholes dotted sparingly along the ascent. The views were enough reward and there were many chances for series action.

Once out of the lush green forest we hit Tominomori and immediately dropped @kawa who was feeling the after effects of his crash. The rolling road prior to the climb was fun and saw @theBlob and me pass by many lone riders, each one up the road a target to catch and pass. Once the hill tilted up @theBlob dropped off the pace and I arrived at the car park with plenty of time to get some selfies of the boys as they crested the last little bit of ramp. There were a lot of bikers, cyclists and drivers milling around at the rest point - eating, drinking and recharging batteries. A quick break and we were back at it, up the final part of the climb and down the other side. It was a really nice, smooth, curvy descent, something you can really attack if you're into that kind of thing.

At the bottom we stopped for soba, delicious, cold, soothing soba. The road home was the highlight for me - two climbs with almost zero traffic and long winding valley descents through small villages with fantastic viewpoints. Eventually we hit the main road and kept the pace high to match the traffic going our way.

Onsen and ramen after that. What's not to like? Perfect!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom