What's new

Review The BikeSpike

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
A buddy who now knows my paranoia about bicycle theft sent me this link to The BikeSpike, a Kick Starter project. It's a way to track the location of the bicycle and report via cell phone technology.

They don't have any plans for coverage in Japan... Targeting the US first and EU with enough funding. Maybe a few comments regarding interest in Japan will get us added?

There are loads of GPS trackers on the market. The issue in Japan is simply access to a reasonable GSM plan. Everywhere else in the world this is trivial by purchasing a SIM. Welcome to Galapagos!

They have an asian and European model that uses different service providers. Apparently its about who is sharing the same GPS satelites. I did a quick search and there are other companies that provide international tracking units - basicalyl its a case of finding out which one is covered in the area you wish to use it.

GTU10 would be cool - but it also uses GSM network - so , in Japan -not available. FYI, except for the most esoteric satellite tracking /responder units, ALL of these small , cheap, 'mobile trackers' use a simple GPS query mechanism then transmit the actual data by mobile phone tower. Many just use the cel tower triangulation only and dispense with even the GPS query. The subsequent tracking information is then sent by GPRS or SMS. Hence, why you need 'a plan'. I'm wondering about the 'kids phone' , like FE has for his kids. As they are quite inexpensive in Japan and probably fairly easy to strip down and repack smaller. Same functions / features apply - except you are stuck with spotty coverage - especially out in the hills.

Back
Top Bottom