What's new

The best bibs

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
So it's about time to get some new bib shorts as my current ones are on their last legs, so to speak...

I currently ride the Sugoi RSE bib's from 2010, they have been good to me with about 200 washes in them but I want something a little more comfortable for the centuries.

The Rapha classic bibs would be the most I'm willing to spend and I'm having trouble justifying even that, so with this in mind what would you suggest?

About 4 washes per week, looking for long distance comfort.

Thoughts???

Ours are very good!

Feel free to put your name on the list for the reorder.

:)

Thought about that but I'd like to stick to plain black so I can use different jerseys

I've got Gore Bike wear bibs, plain black. I think these were some mid-range one (perhaps entry level?) that I bought when I first got into cycling (a year or so ago) on a wiggle sale. They are nice, I like them. When last in the UK I tried on some other ones, the padding certainly gets nicer with price. I will get another one at some point when I get off my bum and find some good wiggle deal on a similar one (but nicer).

Not bibs, tho they probably have the same thing in bib form, but Pearl-Izumi 3D Neo is the best summer-weight stuff I've found. Probably ¥10,000 out of your LBS. (and I've even tried Assos, which I did not like & gave away)

Some non-padded long tights over the 3D shorts and they're good for slightly cooler wx.

Best winter bib tight is DHB super roubaix.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-superroubaix-windproof-padded-bib-tight/

on edit: Yikes! It looks like those are being discontinued. Hopefully, they'll have replaced them with something comparable or better by cooler wx.

I've got Gore Bike wear bibs, plain black. I think these were some mid-range one (perhaps entry level?) that I bought when I first got into cycling (a year or so ago) on a wiggle sale. They are nice, I like them. When last in the UK I tried on some other ones, the padding certainly gets nicer with price. I will get another one at some point when I get off my bum and find some good wiggle deal on a similar one (but nicer).

I actually have about 5 Gore pieces and have liked all of them so I was thinking about the Xenon 2.0 bibs, they are on sale at Wiggle.

Good to hear that you like your Gore bib's.

What other ones did you try?

Not bibs, tho they probably have the same thing in bib form, but Pearl-Izumi 3D Neo is the best summer-weight stuff I've found. Probably ¥10,000 out of your LBS. (and I've even tried Assos, which I did not like & gave away)

Some non-padded long tights over the 3D shorts and they're good for slightly cooler wx.

Best winter bib tight is DHB super roubaix.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-superroubaix-windproof-padded-bib-tight/

on edit: Yikes! It looks like those are being discontinued. Hopefully, they'll have replaced them with something comparable or better by cooler wx.

Ah nice, I have heard good stuff about Peal but not tried it myself so I'll check it out.

The Assos gear seems to get mixed reviews...

I actually have about 5 Gore pieces and have liked all of them so I was thinking about the Xenon 2.0 bibs, they are on sale at Wiggle.

Good to hear that you like your Gore bib's.

What other ones did you try?

Gore ones were ozon and xenon i think. xenon sports some 'compression' bits and seems to cost more.

I also tried mavic and one other one. Didn't like them as much.

Mind you, this is just from putting them on in a shop, I didn't actually ride with these....

On sale on wiggle? time to have a look.....

Check out the Bicycle Line stuff. It's made with MITI / HEIQ fabrics and uses a great Cytech pad. The price on this is great in Japan as the distributor is also the reseller (Y's) - so you don't get dinged the typical 'TIJ' premium. I think it's way under priced for the value and comfort. Also - take a look at Castelli - their newer offerings are very good. For bibshorts you need to consider:

1) Fit - they shouldn't cause any irritation from rubbing or not fitting smoothly.
2) Pad - should match your bum and intended usage.
3) Durability - high quality material
4) Coverage - choose what is appropriate to the season.
5) Compression - for longer distance rides / racing, I prefer less constrictive bibs. But for training and day rides , I like the tighter compression fit. Lots of options here - so you need to check them all.

My favs -

1) Bicycle Line
2) Pearl Izumi 3D Neo
3) Parantini
4) Santini
5) Girodana
6) Castelli

Thanks Tim,

I can always count you to show me something I didn't know, I've never heard of Bicycle Line but the price was good from what I briefly saw.

So do you, or others, own season specific shorts? I was thinking to get a neutral pair and use knee warmers for the chilly days, and my bib tights for the single digits.

I have seasonal kit and I have to say that money spent on seasonal specific kit is money very well spent indeed, especailly in the winter months here in Japan - nothing worse than freezing you backside off on a ride - just not pleasant!

I have to say I'm loving the Champion System Razor Bib shorts and standard bibs!

If you want a set let me know as I can get a very good deal - although it will be CS branded.

Although if you are looking for plain black then you can not go wrong with these:

http://www.wiggle.com/dhb-aeron-pro-cycling-bib-short/

Due to sponsorship agreements in 2010 I needed non-brand technical clothing in the off season - dhb has to be one of the best bits of kit I came across and I have been very happy with my 3/4th length bibs, technical winter jackets and other bits and pieces I purchased.

Not only that but the price point means you could probably purchase 2 pairs for the price of one set of branded goods.

Wow those are mad cheap and they have the Cytech that I have a lot about, at that price I might just give them a turn. I'm also looking for some knee warmers and so on so if DHB works out then it would be a good cost option, no need to break the bank on one piece of kit.

Champion Systems is your sponsor I assume, I've seen pic's with you wearing the full kit. The only reason I don't buy team kit is because I'm not on the team:eek: so I feel odd to rock some sponsored gear, lest I be confused with a team rider (probably not there yet). Thanks though, the kit looks great:cool:

Check out the Bicycle Line stuff.

Ha, Bicycle Line make all the TCC kit. They are good guys, and really know their stuff.

And as Far East says, a set of dhb Aeron shorts are the total sweet spot for style, price, comfort and quality.

Yeah he's got me thinking.

Hmm, what kind of seat pad does the TCC kit have?

I have to say dhb is very good kit for the money and like you say there is very little point breaking the bank on stuff that has a very high Q/A factor and customer serivce support (dhb is actually Wiggle own brand) oh and the shorts I posted are actually the top of the line models so you can find a cheaper set if needed.

Also go take a look at the top end kit made by certain brands and you'll be surprised to find lables stating that it's Made in China, Hungry, Thailand, Vietnam. There are only a very few companies that make clothing in thier own country now.

I don't think you can go wrong with DHB. The Aeron Bib's use a Cytech Pad, too, btw. Any bibshorts under 8000 yen will have some compromises - mainly in the stitching used , fabrics and treatments and pads. But if you can buy as direct to the source as possible then you'll be able to squeeze the most ROI. I look at these cheaper clothes as technical wear that you can afford several sets and always have a fresh kit to jump into. For the price of 1 Assos you can buy 4 or 5 DHB and if it fits and rides fine - it's great! Plus you can get wear that matches the season or use.

The TCC kit, while being branded as dhb, is made by Bicycle Line. I think we can all figure out what that means... :)

Back
Top Bottom