What's new

Thai in Tokyo and a noob at cycling

ihmoo

Warming-Up
Jun 6, 2020
Hi everyone, move here in Tokyo early this year for work and now need some of your advice.
I'm really new to cycling, now need a bike for commute to workplace, around 20k daily.
I found a bike shop that have SCOTT CR1 Comp 2012 with Tiagra groupset (really have no idea what year it is) for ¥70,000. Do you guy think it's reasonable for a noob like me. LOL

Nice to meet everyone here!
Cheers!

Hello @ihmoo ,
it's hard to judge without seeing the actual bike since it's a used carbon frame.
Does the shop offer any warranty?
I'm using Tiagra parts in one of my bikes. They are very solid working but don't feel as sharp and crisp as my Ultegra set (both sets are from around 2011).
I know someone riding (not for commuting though) an earlier CR1 and he really likes it. So, the CR1 might be a fun bike.
Here in Germany (used) bikes are cheaper than in Japan. So I can't really judge the price. I feel it depends a little bit on the service you're buying with the bike.

Anyway, a carbon frame road bike wouldn't be my first choice for commuting since in my case (mostly less than 10km one way) often grocery shopping is included and I make the bike carry all the stuff.
Also I'm commuting basically in any weather and don't have the chance for a full change at work. So, proper mudgards and wider tires are important to me. But that's me and your situation might be different.

Last edited:
Bikepedia has the CR1 comp with tiagra as 2012. https://bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=4013737
The price sounds ok for a carbon frame,fork, seatpost. How beat up is it? What is the condition of the drivetrain? If the stock wheels have had 8 years use they will no good IMHO. Bikepedia doesn't list the wheelset just 20/24 hole scott hubs, and 23mm tyres. You won't want any potholes or curbhopping on those wheels.
I am guessing there is no room for fenders or bigger tyres, which makes it less suitable for commuting.
Also what do you need to carry on your commute? From what I can see that bike cannot be loaded.

Welcome, as a "noob" I think getting a new bike that will come with servicing and is maybe better suited for your main need,: commuting. With your budget you can look at a bike that will put you into a better upright position for commuting in traffic.
How about something like this that can take fenders to keep you drier, racks for getting weight off your back and shoulders, (they get really sweaty in summer) and that all important heads up position with less nervous handling.

Thank you! Everyone.
I think I will get the one like Kiwisimon suggest. Dont want to have something too fancy to work with.
I really forget about service. I need it as a noob. ^________^ haha. Thank!

Welcome!!

2012 model is pretty old. Unless the last owner had regularly maintained and replaced parts it could end up being an expensive bike to maintain yourself or cost more in the long run.

Take a look at the Trek FX cross bike range. I used to commute 20km each way on mine. I'd even ridden it all the way to Kamakura and back for a 140km ride & max of a crazy 170km once. But with disc brakes, wide range of gears, options to install racks, fenders etc and upright position a bike like this makes a great all round bike. The FX3 comes in the very awesome Purple Flip colour as well. I'd love to have one of these to match my Domane!

Giant as noted above also make a great range, and generally can come a little under the price of Trek. Trek have a lifetime warranty on their frames I think so check what other benefits a bike dealer will offer. Check the brand official store as well as bike shops like Y's.

Tech in bikes has come a long way and 23mm tyres are something I'd avoid, especially in Tokyo where you sometimes need to go from road to footpath a wider tyre will make for a smoother ride as well as reduce the risk of pinch flats.

FX 2

FX3

Back
Top Bottom