What's new

UPDATE Temperature Formatting

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Massive Small update...

Typing the word 'de g' (with no space in it), it will automatically format to the degrees symbol. You will need to add your preferred unit of measurement after, such as C or F, but this should make it that bit easier for you to moan / boast about the savagely cold temperatures you have been riding in, over the coming winter months.

If there are any other words you think might be good to auto-correct to something else, post here and we can consider it.

Cheers. ( deg - deg )

On the Mac this is normally accomplished with Option-0 (zero). Or on Windows Alt-0176 (on the keypad). Doesn't everyone use keyboard shortcuts? Crazy world.

Is there a way to 'escape' this and actually force the word to be spelled out in a post, or are we forever beholden to Autocorrect?

I note that it is not case-sensitive, so I can't even type the name of legendary pop group The Three Degrees.

1degreesC
-1degreesC (those don't seem to work)

1 degrees C (ah.., you need spaces between things, but that doesn't look quite right)
1 degree C (but it has to be plural)

1ºC (the usual mac thing works)

----

Would it be possible for any digit followed by C or F and then a space to be reformatted with the degree symbol between them? (to avoid 35cm becoming 35ºcm)

And, I have two ancient degrees. Maybe if there is no numeral it shouldn't convert?

And someone might post "When you're riding, there are various degrees of stress."

Last edited:
Another test:

Ass
Fricken Cold ass
Big ass
Garden gnome

None of those seem to be working?

I saw the update on my post in "today"
I figured you jumped in and played with it. Certainly looks better than 3dC.
I assume just a word filter as the remedy?

I saw the update on my post in "today"
I figured you jumped in and played with it. Certainly looks better than 3dC.
I assume just a word filter as the remedy?

What??!! HACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is search and replace by regex available?

s/(\s(\d){1-3})d([CF]\s)/ $1•$2 /g

Translated - Find a substring that starts with a space followed by 1 to 3 digits followed by the lower case character "d" followed by a capital C or F followed by a space. Replace that with a space, digits, the symbol, the C or F, and space. Do this globally.

So things like 3dC will be transformed. (But -3dC won't be... Not going to put in the effort to edit all that text on the iPhone)

Also maybe suppressing transforms by preceding text with double exclamations? Example !!deegrees (sp) will not be transformed.

Updates;

- The space issue is now fixed. You don't need to put a space between the number and the word 'de grees'. You also don't need to put a space after the word 'de grees' and the unit of measurement.
- 'de grees' and 'de gree' now both convert.

Looks like it still triggers without a number in front of it or a unit after it (degree = diploma).

Looks like this, uhm, interesting feature is even active retroactively.

My vote would be for disabling it until you can make it conditional on a digit preceding the word and a C/F following it.

Looks like this, uhm, interesting feature is even active retroactively.

My vote would be for disabling it until you can make it conditional on a digit preceding the word and a C/F following it.

Quite a cocky tone you are taking there, considering you usually oppose such styles of communication.

Quite a cocky tone you are taking there, considering you usually oppose such styles of communication.
He's voting. Very diplomatic and democratic. Plus being a word sensor most people don't understand how the programming (option) works.
I do enjoy the banter on this thread though. To what degree will it go remains to be seen.

In order to register a vote, there needs to be an election.

Is search and replace by regex available?

s/(\s(\d){1-3})d([CF]\s)/ $1•$2 /g

Translated - Find a substring that starts with a space followed by 1 to 3 digits followed by the lower case character "d" followed by a capital C or F followed by a space. Replace that with a space, digits, the symbol, the C or F, and space. Do this globally.

So things like 3dC will be transformed. (But -3dC won't be... Not going to put in the effort to edit all that text on the iPhone)

Also maybe suppressing transforms by preceding text with double exclamations? Example !!deegrees (sp) will not be transformed.

Don't know @JackTheCommuter about it all, but was this a useful suggestion?

Back
Top Bottom