What's new

Team up - suggestions for most scenic rides?

jc64

Warming-Up
Mar 13, 2014
I'll be arriving in Tokyo-Narita with my bike on march 27th. The intention is to go for a circle tour around mount Fuji to start on the march 28th. For 29th I planned a tour on the Izu pennisula. I still have not figured out what / where to ride sunday march 30 th and monday 31st. From april 1st to 6th I'll be in Chiyoda.

Looking forward any suggestions about must not miss bicycle rides with in 2-3 hours carride reach from Tokyo.

Is anyone having time off between march 27th and april 1st and looks for a ride partner?

Are there any innercity rides to recommend? Any races between april 1st to 6th?

Ride on

Jurg, Stockholm

No time to ride, but some of the best passes like Venus line and Chrystal line might still have snow on them. Arima dam should be fine. I'd still take the car or the bike out, rather than the car.

Correct me if I am wrong Gunjira: Venus line pass road is in Matsumoto / Nagano? I cannot seem to fine "chrystal line"...Did you any site for check if these roads are open?

March would be pretty tricky for Venus line, especially with the amount of snow the Kita-alps has had this year.

If you had 4 days, I would really recommend going down to Kyushu or south Shikoku (Ehime). Some of the best riding in Japan is there, and frankly it blows away main/east Honshu for scenery.

Otherwise, Kyoto would be a good place to base and ride....tons of great back country riding around Kyoto/Miyama etc.

You can also consider Takao - Wada - Tomin - Otsuki - Yamanakako, which are beautiful destination close to Tokyo and can be rideable from Tokyo.

I don't know of your Japanese skill - but this is a website to check and register for upcoming "hobby" races around Japan. http://www.sportsentry.ne.jp/search/top/bicycle

Sorry it is not very foreigner friendly.

Last edited:
Boso (Chiba) is clear of snow and has good riding. You won't get the big mountains and dramatic scenery of the west side, but there are fine roads and it offers a taste of Japan's rural farming countryside. Northern Chiba and Ibaraki have dead flat rides if you're in the mood for that.

There's a chance I could get out for a day on the Sunday (30th), so if you're interesting in trying out the east side, send me a PM...

Not sure if this link will work--it should be my RidewithGPS profile with various Chiba routes we've done over the last few years.

http://ridewithgps.com/users/61287

The mountains will be pretty barren of growth and pretty dull. Try to find areas that might have some Plum blossom. I'd also say the Yamanakoko rides could be quite accessible and give decent views of Fuji, if that's what you're looking for. Shonan side has some nice climbs and especially up to Hakone that way (instead of the Odawara approach) for a change. Don't forget to plan your ride to stop at an onsen!

:) Wow thanks everybody. Lots of info.

@Trek DJ: I'll be staying around Tokyo and have rented a car. Flying down south was in consideration - maybe even going down to Yukiya-country (http://www.teameuropcar.com/fiche-coureur/yukiya-arashiro/) - but I would spend more time with flying there and return. It'll be to keep my fingers crossed for getting some days with good weather round Tokyo. My range will be in prefectures: Tokyo, Yamanashi, Shizucka, Nagano, Gunma, Saitama, Tochigi, Ibaraki and Chiba. Any longer than that it would turn out into a car road trip.

@Gunjira: crystal line realy looked scenic. But if it's not maintained it might snow cover on the road. But than again one might sneaking under road closed signs, and I'll bring my winter commuter ride with spike tires... ;-). Are there any other rides worth considering in Nagano Prefecture?

@jecjec81: thanks for the link with rides. There's seems to be something Audax in Gunma: funny guys. I'm not preparing for PBP (http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=accueil&page=edito) 2015 edition. I do have a limited suffer level. Even if it looks daring I think a ride like this would lead to 2-3 days recovery. But maybe it needs to be tried.

@Phil: super with Chiba rides. You realy know your way around there. You nailed it with "country side", which is pretty much what I look for. As for sunday: I'll be coming to Tokyo Chiyoda on april 1st and will be there at a hotel - without car until april 7th. Maybe I'll attach a Chiba ride somewhere between friday april 4th or sunday april 6th. Is there a convient way to get Chiba with public transport and bike?

@GSAstuto: onsen is a must. Hopefully I get some variety in vegetation and landscape.

Maybe I consider starting out in Chiba, but as I'll be renting car, I intend start out on in Izu. Plotted 2 possible rides with ridewithgps, which seem appealing as starter: a blend of hills and oceanrim ride:

http://ridewithgps.com/users/242811

Especially the 34% grade announced at the top of the ride, but seems there's (none illuminated) tunnel on top. I'm looking for accommodation around starting point of the ride.

As for day 2: Has anyone done the circle on Mt Fuji foot: roads 469, 139 and I think 138? Is it any worth considering? Or maybe I should just consider the "bucket list" ride road 707 to level 5 (http://www.fujihc.jp/course.html) I'm sure you'll get up in the snow, but I think the roads will be maintained - and hopefully snow free. Is there livecam or report showing road conditions / temperture up at level 5?

Day 3-4 than?

...Nagano prefecture looks nice. Maybe something there around day 3. Somebody knows some rides there wich might be open?

As for day 4: I learned the Irohazaka climb up to lake Chuzenji (Tochigi) is pitoresque. Has anyone done that?

I think one link didn't work it was from ridewithgps route 2360398

Two clarifications:
1. Chrystal line recon. Wouldn't recommend it, as there is nothing there and if something happens nobody comes by. Safety first.

2. Have you driven in Japan? While there is nobody off the beaten path, Expect to spend more time crossing a given distance near to Tokyo than you are used too. There are lots of bottlenecks and jams. If a had a choice would prefer the train, for single day touring at least. Just spend 6hrs in the car for 150km yesterday.

Ok Crystal line is off the list. General transport looks not like an option, but it's a so much hassle with all the luggage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Robert. I that link over to ride with GPS seems to link somewhere else. I am user "24281" check activities under rides and my planning routes. I had superluck with good cycling weater on all four days. 1.) Izu, 2.) Fuji, 3.) lake Chuzenji and 4.) Chiba. According to ride with GPS the total was 436,7km and 7,82 km climbing. Phil Bozo's climbing was great. The supersteep climp on Izu in almost complete solitude on a warm days was good. The clear view av Fuji and the scenic mini alpe d'Huez close to Nikko was cool. Sometimes a bit tight for cycling on Subaru line fightning with buses and the absent cycling lanes in central chiba. Check out the more pictures on ride with GPS

Attachments

• P1030341.JPG
    P1030341.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
Two years ago went all the way south from Numazu to Shimoda along the western coast of Izu peninsula. Definitely one of the most scenic rides to recommend. But it is also the hardest place I've been to. Climbing non-stop for the whole hundreds of kilometres. Quite challenging and rewarding.

The ride was so nice I am going to do it again in a week or so. :)

I liked the climb on Izu up to Nishina pass starting from sea level on road 136 up road 410 which had some parts with 14% grade...the reward was the magnificent panorama over to mount Fuji

da8aname.jpg

Back
Top Bottom