What's new

Team Kit Design. 2012/3

onm

Sep 2, 2009
OK, so whatever is happening in the other threads related to this can stay there. Here are the things you need to start putting your ideas together for the new kit.

I think the best way to design this, would be for people to start with the jersey, as that is the focal point. Once that design has started to solidify, and a direction decided on, we can start transferring the ideas to the other kit parts.

As things progress, and we all start to come to an agreement on what items we want, etc, I will publish said item blanks for further designing, but for now, use the jersey as a starting point. All ideas for design should stay in this thread.

So, the current design is this...

TCC2011cut.png

Here is a blank jersey for you all to start scribbling on...

tcc2012size.png

Here is a layered .psd file for Photoshop / GIMP nerds...

CLICK >>TCC Team Kit Design 2012/3 Photoshop File

Cheers.

Owen

I totally agree that at the moment the design has all of the main elements in place. Sergei's design fundaments should definitely be preserved. I think that the whole thing can be tightened up, and made more 'pro' looking however, and I will be uploading my ideas over the next couple of weeks.

I also really like the dark purple of the previous design, and I think that this could also be incorporated into the new design; kind of an homage to both, but bringing it up to date. This way, even if people are riding with the older kit, it will all tie in together well, and make it obvious we are on the same team.

Regarding the logo, yeah that is more of a logistics thing than anything else, and talks have begun to deal with that.

For this thread, however, lets keep it 100% design focused.

The 2012 design is very nice.

My suggested design tweaks would be to

1. increase the size of the "Tokyo Cycling Club" lettering on the front of the jersey and maybe tweak the font if you do so, and

2. replace the "TCC" and Tokyo mark (leaf?) on each side of the shorts with "TOKYO" in a larger font, all caps, filling up more of the red area -- I think would be more recognizable and "pro-like".

Now we are getting somewhere!

dgl2; thanks a lot for your ideas.

I am currently tweaking the .psd blanks I made, and have been updating them over the past hour or so, so please give me some time to get the ideas you have been thinking about made up.

I totally agree with making the text on the front and back stand out more; one of my issues with it last year was a discrepancy between the front and back.

Give me until tomorrow night to have something up and running, which I will post.

In the mean time, if anybody else has any ideas, let us know, or mock them up yourself.

You are also free to print the blanks, crack out the crayons, make your own design, photograph it and upload that way.

Couple Thoughts

I really like the current jersey, both design and colour. The following are a couple tweeks to throw out to the group:

1. Somehow incorperate Fuji-san into the design on back. Fuji-san is the national symbol of Japan and since there is a mountain range in the background, add Fuji-san to it. Maybe move the Wiggle up higher and then add in the distinctive volcano shape.

I like adding Fuji-san because it is a national symbol, it is visible, sometimes, from Tokyo and it is a big part of people's time there to try to ride up to the 5th station.

2. Since Skytree has now become a reality and a big part of the Tokyo, I would add this along with Tokyo tower. But this is just a suggestion that would update the skyline a little. I have loved Tokyo Tower since I was a kid and had a model of it in my room. This may be a bad idea as it would take away from this iconic symbol of Tokyo. On the other hand this would be a small way to update design, without any major changes.

I like the idea of a larger TOKYO on the shorts (woops this was jersey only).

I like the flower design. A crane design would be cool element, but save that for a future complete revision. What the club has now is a great jersey, very reflective of Tokyo and Japan, and just plain cool.

Please can we move away from the Tacky Omiyage T-shirt theme?

I think adding "more" is just going to take tacky to a whole new level. Yes it might be great for collectors out there, but the jersey is not a novelty gift for those wanting to take away a souvenir but a jersey that belongs to what will hopefully be a long standing club that races.

I think adding "more" is just going to take tacky to a whole new level. Yes it might be great for collectors out there, but the jersey is not a novelty gift for those wanting to take away a souvenir but a jersey that belongs to what will hopefully be a long standing club that races.

Well, according to the front page -
"The TCC consists of Japanese and foreign bicycle enthusiasts who enjoy a good ride around Kanto area as well as an occasional drink. TCC aims at promoting friendship and cultural exchange between cyclists from Japan and elsewhere."

I see nothing wrong with Tacky Omiyage T-shirt here :)

BTW, the current jersey was worn on many amateur races already without complaints from organizers, or is there also some kind of secret code of race jerseys approved by JCF?

Everyone;

The first step to sort all this out, and to make sure we make everyone happy (and to make things faster for me to work through in Photoshop!), is to strip things right down to basics, then work it all back from there.

Now, here is the first level of stripping I have done. I didn't spend any time on the mountains; rather just swiped off the Wiggle logo so we can concentrate on the pure design itself.

If you think we need to strip this down even further, please let us know and I will get on with it.

Once we get it to bare-bones, we can start experimenting; putting things back in, working in other elements, etc.

TCCWIP1.png

Since Skytree has now become a reality and a big part of the Tokyo, I would add this along with Tokyo tower.
It's there already. :D

I see nothing wrong with Tacky Omiyage T-shirt here

:cool: Oh no! A difference of opinion. How did that happen?

I like colorful, tacky T-shirts. But I also like team jerseys peppered with logos of sponsors I've never heard of. But which is better? There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!

Water bottles at 12 paces.

1. Somehow incorperate Fuji-san into the design on back.

This was raised last time round, and fortunately we dodged that bullet then. Having Fuji on there really takes us into the realm of tourist-T-shirts-sold-only-at-Narita-and-Asakusa (IMO)...

2. Since Skytree has now become a reality and a big part of the Tokyo, I would add this along with Tokyo tower.

Already there....

Once we get it to bare-bones, we can start experimenting; putting things back in, working in other elements, etc.
That's actually really cool. I prefer that.

Tim is working with a company in China for the GSAstuto jerseys that doesn't insist on printing their logo everywhere just for the privilege of you being a customer.

He's got samples - why not compare with the Wiggle stuff. (Nothing against Wiggle - I am a happy customer - but they did kinda take over the last design.)

If I may chime in here, too:

[1] "Corporate identity": absolute priority. A lot of veteran members have pointed out that it is of utmost importance to be recognized as one team, no matter if clad in 1st, 2nd or soon 3rd generation team jerseys. I totally concur.

I totally agree that at the moment the design has all of the main elements in place. Sergei's design fundaments should definitely be preserved. I think that the whole thing can be tightened up, and made more 'pro' looking however, and I will be uploading my ideas over the next couple of weeks.

Amen to that, brother! Tightening up, getting rid of the "2011" resp. "2012" and a few other minor details.

I also really like the dark purple of the previous design, and I think that this could also be incorporated into the new design; kind of an homage to both, but bringing it up to date. This way, even if people are riding with the older kit, it will all tie in together well, and make it obvious we are on the same team.

I know this will trigger seizures in Aaron, but I really like that idea, Owen!

[2] Tackiness: first of all, nothing's wrong with being tacky (it isn't!), and I have seen tackier club jerseys here in Japan (clubs represented here at the forum excluded). :)

[3] Wiggle logo: a few voices have complained about Wiggle's sponsorship and logo. Nothing wrong with that, too, as it permits us to offer the kit for an unbeatably competitive price. It's not like we're endorsing the Sendero Luminoso, blood diamonds or - Heaven forbid! - TEPCO.

At the end of the day members have to decide themselves whether they deem the kit to be worth acquiring or not. I have full confidence in Owen's design talent and will order whatever's on the menu. IMHO it's all about the idea and the display of team spirit, not about aesthetic trivialities.

Started messing around with incorporating the purple from the 1st gen. kit.

The mountain range might be a bit much, but I quite like having one of the sakura outlines in that dark purple. It can be worked to stand out more, no problem, but this is just a starting point.

TCCWIP2.png

Just stating my preference to jersey design and not slating your winning entry, to do so would be to slate my own design as you did take several elements out of the one I submitted last year. :p

But if we are going down the "Half-Fast" route of not actually being able to have an opinion on design I will have a cup of STFU with two sugars please.

In regards to JBCF actually yes there are guidelines that need to be followed but as I don't think we are at the point of entering a JCF/JBCF level team yet we don't need to worry.

I know this is a biggish change, but have you considered replacing the red in the current jersey as shown with the old purple? Not sure it would work or not...

James, I am not telling you to STFU - that was not the intention of my reply.

In regards to JBCF actually yes there are guidelines that need to be followed but as I don't think we are at the point of entering a JCF/JBCF level team yet we don't need to worry.

Maybe you could share those guidelines here and see if they are applicable to the design under development, so we can move on to a more constructive discussion.

Back
Top Bottom