What's new

Notice TCC Wiki.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Hi

You may have noticed the new Wiki tab up top (which currently leads nowhere)...

Well, in a few days, we will launch the new TCC Wiki!

This is exactly as it sounds, and will be a cycling related Wiki, which you will be able to contribute to and edit (should the desire take you).

The initial aim is to create a comprehensive Wiki related to the technical side of cycling; individual pages for components, sections of the bike, troubleshooting, maintenance, repair, assembly, etc., will be the first elements to be created, with the content having a distinct focus on doing all of this in Japan.

We would like build something which will act as the definitive technical reference for everything bike related, and enable the user to quickly dip in should they have a problem, find the peer-edited solution, and also find links to real resources in Japan to aid them with whatever it is they wish to do.

So, in the next few days, once we have finished modifying, customising, tweaking, hitting things with hammers and water-boarding the code, we will go live. From there we would like to ask your thoughts on how it should all be laid out, and how to proceed, so keep your eye out for news on this and let us know what you think.

Thanks a lot.

Hi again,

The first stage of coding and installing is now complete, and from here things could take a number of different directions, so your input would be appreciated.

In terms of content, we originally thought that a technical reference would be the main focus, and while that will certainly still be a major part of it, we started thinking that as well as the need for a central place for all bike hardware related knowledge, it would be a shame not to utilise the collective knowledge of all the members, both past and present, and include the following;

-Cycling Law in Japan.
-A complete shop list, including mapped locations, opening times, services, and even possibly reviews of the shops, etc.
-Climbs; Climb name, review / overview, gradient, maps, points of interest, road surface, etc.
-Popular routes / rides; similar to climbs with the information provided.
-Japanese cycling brands; location, products, services, etc.; thought we could include custom frame makers here, for example?

We realise that a lot of the information in these sections will perhaps be duplications of things which have been said on the forum, but we wanted to create an organised, peer-editable, and easily searchable collection of all the information out there, so people can dip in easily, and find the information they need quickly, without having to wade through the associated discussion (there is nothing wrong with discussion of course!)

If anybody has any comments or ideas related to these ideas, or indeed has any more suggestions for what we can include in the Wiki, please do say, as it would be a lot easier to lay out the structure knowing what we want to include now, than to lever it in at a later date. That is entirely possible, of course, but having it all in order from the beginning will be a lot nicer.

Thanks.

Great idea Owen. Another category could be traveling with a bike: ferries, buses and planes e.t.c.
Suggested mobile apps might help and of course a library of GPS data?

Thanks for the input.

-Travelling with a bike; this is a fairly large subject, and would be best split up into individual pages for the respective topics. Will definitely keep this in mind when planning the layout.

-Mobile apps; good idea. This is an interesting area. We could realistically have an entire section devoted to digital cycling related technology - apps, online GPS services (Strava, RWGPS, etc.), and of course the localised services like UUD maps for Garmin, etc.

-Library of GPS data; again, excellent idea. I have spent a fair bit of time analysing the various GPS file types in my IDE over the last year, and would be more than happy collect and standardise for TCC any GPS files people want to donate of popular routes in Japan. The more I think about it, the more I think this is a superb idea, with the potential to be expanded into a complete section in its' own right. Nice one for coming up with it!

Anybody else with any more thoughts and ideas, please do air them. It is all extremely helpful.

Thanks again.

1. Consolidate all your posts about using the functionality of the TCC website (the best tips/optimised ways to, insert Strava route, link a member in a post, etc)
  2. Consolidate all Mike (and other's) posts on Garmin 800/810/500 usage/setup
  3. "Survivor's guide to cycling in Japan with only chotto Nihongo" - bike shops/services/clubs etc with english-speakers for those currently lacking in Japanese language skills
  4. On the GPS route data, would it be possible to search the TCC routes by location? (potentially leveraging one of the other websites, to do something like Strava's find a segment on a map, but only the recommended TCC routes)
  5. Latest road closures/location of earthworks on rivers/ etc
  6. Consolidate Insurance posts for the latest info on how to get bike cover
  7. Information and requirements on how to enter a race/hill climbs/time trails/brevets + the best ones to enter through the year. Plus a section on it for the first time competitor - helpful info on how to register, considerations, requirements, which events/classes to enter, english-speaking coaches if thats what is needed (the posts on this site - esp this one- have so far scared me off competing in a bike race, but it is something I would like to try).
  8. Training help. Best books/on-line websites/local coaches

Sorry if that sounds a lot, but you wanted ideas!

No, that is really good thanks. Keep it coming!

1. Would this be better kept separate from the Wiki, and held in its own 'how to use the site' section... and do we actually need this? Is it not assumed that everyone now has a level of computing competency? If not, we can definitely do this.
2. Again, is this something that needs to be in the Wiki? Happy to do it (indeed the nature of the Wiki is that anyone can make a page, so if there is a demand, someone can make it), but is this kind of thing not simply in the manual?
3. This whole thing should act as a survivors guide; the sections you suggest can be pages in their own right. We can certainly include an entry on any relevant page giving info on the level of English spoken in whatever venue is detailed.
4. This will simply be a filing issue, so if we deal with it correctly then yes, that will be possible, no problem. Will need to have a brain storm about the best and preferred way to go about this.
5. Yeah, that is a good idea. This could either be included in the pages about certain areas / routes, or could be a section in its own right again, separate from the Wiki.
6. Yep, that should go in. Good idea.
7. Yeah, there are a number of threads with all this info in, but sticking it in the Wiki would make it a lot easier to access, and would definitely be a positive. Good idea.
8. This is good, although it is the kind of subject that gets people frothing at the mouth a lot with their own opinions, so coming to any kind of conclusion on what to include in the Wiki would no doubt be amusing / tiresome. We can definitely try it though!

Again, keep the ideas, thoughts, and comments coming. This is all helping plan the architecture very nicely.

OK, the Wiki is now open for you everybody to view (no editing can be done yet).

This is the very start of it all, so we merely have a list of the key categories based on what has been posted in this thread, with a summary of what each section could include.

At this point, please have a look and post in this thread your thoughts, suggestions, etc.

The information will of course be presented and layed out in a similar fashion to Wikipedia, once the information structure has been agreed upon, so don't worry how it looks at the moment. Once we get to the point where it will be open for people edit and contribute to, there will be a standardised template to follow.

Thanks.

Following on from above (new points in red)....
  1. Consolidate all your posts about using the functionality of the TCC website (the best tips/optimised ways to, insert Strava route, link a member in a post, etc) TCC : Would this be better kept separate from the Wiki, and held in its own 'how to use the site' section... and do we actually need this? Is it not assumed that everyone now has a level of computing competency? If not, we can definitely do this MPH : Its my memory rather than compute competency
    clip_image001.png
    :( - I don't insert Stava often enough to remember how to do it (and I suspect some people do it in a way that doesn't work very well with all browsers). Anyway, a 'how to' section sounds the best idea and easier to search than long chain stickies
  2. Consolidate all Mike (and other's) posts on Garmin 800/810/500 usage/setup TCC : Again, is this something that needs to be in the Wiki? Happy to do it (indeed the nature of the Wiki is that anyone can make a page, so if there is a demand, someone can make it), but is this kind of thing not simply in the manual MPH: Definitely should be a page on the Wiki - useful knowledge! I shall attempt to ply Mike with enough beer on Wednesday night and boost his ego with words of, "how useful his Garmin help .... blah,blah", to hopefully get him to undertake that Wiki page! (hopefully just a copy/paste job for him)
  3. "Survivor's guide to cycling in Japan with only chotto Nihongo" - bike shops/services/clubs etc with english-speakers for those currently lacking in Japanese language skills TCC : This whole thing should act as a survivors guide; the sections you suggest can be pages in their own right. We can certainly include an entry on any relevant page giving info on the level of English spoken in whatever venue is detailed. MPH : Excellent solution. Maybe a Scale of 1-5 against each item ......with 5 being a Brit available to speak to, 4 being fluent-English-speaking local, ....., 2 being a Auz/NZ person you can speak to,1 being only Japanese spoken, etc
  4. :)
  5. :)
  6. :)
  7. Information and requirements on how to enter a race/hill climbs/time trails/brevets + the best ones to enter through the year. Plus a section on it for the first time competitor - helpful info on how to register, considerations, requirements, which events/classes to enter, english-speaking coaches if thats what is needed (the posts on this site - esp this one- have so far scared me off competing in a bike race, but it is something I would like to try). TCC: Yeah, there are a number of threads with all this info in, but sticking it in the Wiki would make it a lot easier to access, and would definitely be a positive. Good idea. MPH : I really think this would be a positive side to the club, helping people into events that they might not have felt capable of participating in. Bringing down barriers and all that stuff!
  8. Training help. Best books/on-line websites/local coaches TCC: This is good, although it is the kind of subject that gets people frothing at the mouth a lot with their own opinions, so coming to any kind of conclusion on what to include in the Wiki would no doubt be amusing / tiresome. We can definitely try it though! MPH: Great - if people disagree strongly with a view on the Wiki they can take it up on the forums, debate, and get to a club consensus there before adjusting the Wiki (hopefully!)

Consolidate all Mike (and other's) posts on Garmin 800/810/500 usage/setup TCC : Again, is this something that needs to be in the Wiki? Happy to do it (indeed the nature of the Wiki is that anyone can make a page, so if there is a demand, someone can make it), but is this kind of thing not simply in the manual MPH: Definitely should be a page on the Wiki - useful knowledge! I shall attempt to ply Mike with enough beer on Wednesday night and boost his ego with words of, "how useful his Garmin help .... blah,blah", to hopefully get him to undertake that Wiki page! (hopefully just a copy/paste job for him)
I'm flattened, of course. I perhaps pioneered GPS nagivationing 8 years ago, but nowadays I use barely half the functions of my Edge 810. Others will need to contribute gen on how useful the virtual partner is(n't) to make it comprehensive.

Info, based on feedback so far.

- We will build a user guide for the site separate from the Wiki.
- Each Wiki page can now be linked to its' own dedicated discussion thread in the forum. There will be a dedicated Wiki sub-forum to keep things tidy.
- Anti-vandalism measures have been put in place.

Back
Top Bottom