What's new

TCC Team Kit Design Contest 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, if the need arises we could extend the deadline. :warau:

Since TCC is quite an international club (note those tiny flags next to member names) - why not reflect it in our jersey design? - flags on sides and "tokyo cycling club" in many languages on the back (pockets)

tcc_teamkit_kpykc_small7.jpg

Sergey, I really like your design! :)

I concur with Andy, what about Fuji-san on the back?

A few suggestions re: the jersey above:

1.) Love the flags, we should use the country flags of TCC members (like PE, I know)

2.) Don't know what the others think, but I feel the kanji on the back do not look very "professional". What if we replace them with the caption on the front? If there's any need for kanji, what about some toge names on the pockets instead?

3.) What if we switch black and red? Red should be the main colour.

Anyhow, great designs so far! :thumb:

I was looking forward to seeing the other designs that have been fermenting in OwenJames' brain.

Personally I don't think the flags improve Sergey's design; they detract from the nice three-and-a-bit-coloring, making it too busy.

While I'm at it... is that Tokyo Tower? Sky Tree silhouette would make the design future proof (or, for the moment, futuristic).

The kanji 倶楽部, while an accepted rendering of "Club" into Japanese, do rather suggest a golf course or cathouse.

(Just thinking with my fingers. No disrespect intended. There's a famous quote from Bill Cosby that goes something like, "There is no guaranteed recipe for success, but you're guaranteed to fail if you try to please everybody.")

--HF Mike--

I agree with Mike above... Flags look too busy (and besides, we can't guarantee to get every future member in there, can we?). Agree too about the kanji, especially the 倶楽部 bit. If we must have it, クラブ would look less, er, dorky? Mt. Fuji is a bit of a cliche...much prefer the current mountain skyline.

And again, this is just personal opinion etc., no disrespect to other ideas/opinions!

1. Thanks Alan...it is a bit an "original idea" of mine meant to complement my "adventures" up and down the mountains in my blog but of course they teach this stuff in kanji classes for beginners. I agree, it wouldn't look that bad if we really must have kanji exotica :D on the new TCC jersey (personally I don't really care - English is just fine).

2. I like the latest design by Sergey but the addition of flags would spoil the current very tasteful color scheme. Agree with Phil & Mike.

3. Fujisan in the background is fine but could be banal/kitschy :eek: depending on the rendition. The present stylized version by Sergey looks pretty neat.

4. How about the matching bibshorts? :eek:

Some good looking designs here!

I'm not sure if I'm going to have time to submit an entry, but something I think would be nice on the back pocket is the Toge Kanji explanation that Tom uses on his blog
峠 =山 上 下
Toge = Mountain Up & Down

And we could list some of our favourites below / on adacent pocket, or with a logo/motto
TCC Toge Baggers

Credit to Tom for the original idea of course!
AW.

Also the mountain range in Sergey's version is more Elitist..... only those that have ridden them will know what they are.

Toge Freak Jersey

Tried to realize the idea of a "mountain" jersey I had since last year -

- toge constellation on front - dots coincide with real mt. passes taken from google maps
- toge freak on the back - the cyclist picture is not mine, but a random picture from google (small size and most likely cannot be used freely)
- lots of free space for captions, labels and inscriptions...

30728_1272470383764_1590031141_30568043_4485783_n.jpg

just for fun

Sergey,

Im actually loving the white and red layout of that Jersey.

Nice one, Sergey! :)

Once again to all designers: shall we extend the deadline?

I like 倶楽部 more than クラブ because it looks much prettier than katakana.

And Google gives a lot of サイクリングクラブ, but there are also サイクリング倶楽部 like these -

コーダサイクリング倶楽部
http://www.ztv.ne.jp/kohda/

木津川サイクリング倶楽部
http://kizugawacycling.web.fc2.com/

...and some more, including the jersey captions

They are not so frequent, but the usage seems legit.

As there many suggestions, maybe, the voting system should be able to include some of these proposals. I am too lazy to try anything new now anyway :p and don't want to monopolize the contest

I'm with Mike and Phil above.

I think the choice of kanji vs romaji depends on who we want to impress and how. To Japanese, lots of kanji, esp. when seeming somewhat random or out of place, looks just weird. To those who don't really know Japanese, they look cool. To Japanese, everything in English or even other languages with roman alphabet looks cool. Just take a look at what is written on the jerseys of Japanese cycling teams.

Really sorry for not contributing recently.

The strings of the puppet master have been pulling tight of late.

I really like the new designs coming through, now I have had a chance to review the thread properly.

I haven't given up on this, and to prove so, here is a photo of a design I am working on...

100617215420.jpg

Final version

Hi all,

Here's the final variant of my design, "take it or leave it" -

tcc_teamkit_kpykc_small9.jpg

Can't think of any good replacement for URL's so they will stay. Let it be a nod to our old jersey.

Not much for the new stuff except for Basho's haiku on the back -
The wind of Mt. Fuji
I've brought on my fan!
A gift from Edo

Everybody prance now

I feel like we're real close with the design but are missing that little something that would take the jersey to the next level of awesomeness: rainbows and unicorns.

garyinunicornkit.jpg

I think it was the Napolean Dynamite Jersey above that did it.

Dis thread gone very quiet...

We discussed the issue last weekend during our Boso ride, and actually I have just contacted Sergey with a few requests in regard to his jersey design.

Main points were:

- no kanji on the back. We are neither uyoku nor yakuza or yankees, it just doesn't look professional. :) Wouldn't mind toge names though, if kanji are considererd to be that important, and perhaps "東京" somewhere on the front, like in the old design.

- add Tokyo Sky Tree to the urban panorama on the back.

- a tad more red than in the latest design

I appreciated any feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom