What's new

UPDATE TCC Site Updates!

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
The software the TCC site runs on went through a major update today, and as a result there are quite a few new and improved features for you to use and enjoy.

We thought it would be good to list these features in a single thread, as there are quite a few.

The following is a list of new features and improvements that came with the update...

-You can now change the status of your Classified adverts without going through the hassle of contacting admin. See the separate thread about that for instructions.
-Custom user banners. Only one has been awarded so far but are open to your suggestions for new ones!
-The comment box tool bar has been updated and enhanced greatly.
-Drag and Drop; you can now insert files into your posts by dragging them from your desktop. Makes inserting pictures a lot faster, and easier.
-You are now able to save drafts of your messages.
-Private messaging (Conversations) have been enhanced (although we are still working on a few bugs in there, so will fully announce the improvements when we are done with that).
-Lots of small tweaks and additions, very much in the spirit of 'marginal gains', designed to subtly enhance your experience on the site, without you noticing.

As well as this, loads of stuff that you can't see and don't care about has been enhanced too, deep in the engine of the site which only the hardiest of geek would worry themselves with. Nothing of interest there, certainly, although one thing we thought you might like to know is that the security system which stores your personal information and passwords has been updated and is now even tighter / more secure.

If you have any comments, questions, suggestions, or bug reports, please do post them up.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Great! And minimal downtime.
I checked out the Classifieds update and very nice.

Thanks again!

Very well done, thank you. The changes sound good and things haven't become difficult to understand.

Just one little thing (about something that I think hasn't been affected by the update). I've just posted a reply to the thread "Anyone got one of these, for sale?" and was told

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

In that message I don't link, give any phone number, say "****", talk about ****ing, ****s or ****s, or otherwise do anything that I think might reasonably trigger such a delay. I didn't mention prices (perhaps interpretable as an effort to sell). I don't mind the delay (and as the message is primarily for Kiwisimon and he's a moderator he can read it anyway, for what it's worth), but I do wonder if some part of the process mightn't benefit from tweaking.

Only if you're interested though.

It's a security feature. All posts in the Classifieds section are moderated. It's because these offers involve money.

buy-my-pinarello-www-txt2pic-com.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

As Joe points out, this is indeed primarily a security feature and will not be removed. While the responsibility and risk of buying and selling products using the Classified section on this website remain solely with the people doing the buying and selling, we feel it necessary to offer some kind of filter here, and that is why we have implemented this strictly moderated system. It is not going to change.

Another benefit we had hoped would occur as a side effect of the built in moderation delay was that the classified section would not become a place for people to clog up the buying and selling process by stating their lack of desire to buy a listed item or their inability to help out with something wanted.

Hmm, that second benefit hadn't occurred to me. Now that I think about it, it seems a good idea.

If I might say, the software used by this forum should be a model for the rest of the online world.

It's friggin' amazing, the stuff that it does (so naturally)! It's the Peter Pauly/PED-enhanced version of a forum.

Loads of thanks to all involved!

John D.

Please note.

We are currently in the process of implementing improvements to the way the site displays on mobile devices, and as a result you may experience some unusual graphical and layout glitches over the next few days, both on mobile and desktop version of the site.

Thanks.

Image Pasting Direct From Browser

Another useful addition to the comment box; as well as drag-and-drop, you can copy and paste images directly from anywhere in your browser, without having to worry about saving the image and uploading it, or copying the URL. Simply copy the image by right clicking it and selecting 'Copy Image' ('Copy' if you are using Internet Explorer) then come to the comment box here and CTRL+V it in.

This feature should also work with anything which is sitting in memory (although I have not tested this with every browser), so you can paste from 'Print Screen', for example.

Thanks.

Thanks for testing it.

Can I ask; what browser did you do it in, and did it work as explained? Any issues?

Copy and pasting images works for me in Safari on Snow Leopard:
upload_2013-8-28_18-30-30-png.281

However, I have to select the image with my mouse, press command+C [to copy] then command+V [to paste]. If I control+click on an image, go to "copy image" then there is nothing to paste.

Dragging and pasting also works from within the browser window:
CyclismHincapieAd.png

However, I have to select the image with my mouse, press command+C [to copy] then command+V [to paste]. If I control+click on an image, go to "copy image" then there is nothing to paste.

We mac people use command+? while windows people (and others) use ctrl+? as short-keys, same as in every other application.

Sweet update btw!

Drag and drop from another instance of Chrome to this instance does not work. It looked like it was going to, but when it posted, no image.

RIght click, copy image, right click paste worked.

(Windows 7, Chrome)

image03030.jpg

Mac/safari: Dragged & dropped off my desktop, initially appeared as a thumb until I clicked full image.

From Desktop works on Windows 7 - to be clear - my problem was from browser to browser.

bianchi.jpg

-You are now able to save drafts of your messages.
This looks good. Was typing something to post on Chrome (OS X) at home.
Got to read the draft on Chrome (Win 7) at the office.

This is a drag and drop.
From Win 7 IE9 to Chrome V 29.0.1547.57
I saw the image icon below (with the Thumbnail and Full Image buttons) but no image in the the actual post.

I had to click on "Full Image" for the image below to appear.

GiosIMG_0030_0[1].png

If "Full Image" was not clicked, I get the thumbnail on the post.

It seems all of these drag and drop don't work while editing a post. Does it?

Back
Top Bottom