What's new

TCC site: update & restructuring

One suggestion: Would it be possible to put a "Last Post" buttom on the main page at very thread displayed which leads to the last page of the thread?

So far I am opening the thread first and then select the last page which takes some time. Or is there a better way I just don't know?

Thanks for the tcc site.

Reactions: TOM
So far I am opening the thread first and then select the last page which takes some time. Or is there a better way I just don't know?

Thanks for the tcc site.

Click the little arrow that is next to the last poster's name it'll take you to that post.

Ditto thanks for the site.

This is just a short notice confirming that the update/upgrade/revamp is proceeding backstage. Technically, most things seem to work on the test site. Owen will put a final touch on the graphics, so I hope (if nothing unexpected happens) to roll out next week.

Our focus will be on getting the technical subtleties working, the design will most likely be an ongoing procedure. Thanks again for everyone's patience. :)

Thank you again, Thomas!

One suggestion: Would it be possible to put a "Last Post" buttom on the main page at very thread displayed which leads to the last page of the thread?

recentge.jpg

Just wait a second and the buttons tell you what they do.

A little update, in case you're wondering why we haven't updated the TCC website yet. vBulletin is about to release their next version of the software, vBulletin 5 Connect, any day. If it is as revolutionary as they claim we will skip version 4 and jump right to vB5.

Thanks, we appreciate your patience. :)

Thomas,

A big thanks from me as well for running this most excellent of sites.

I'm sure that all of TCC forum users feel the same.

I am glad to announce that we are finally ready to migrate the TCC website to a new software. Owen and I have tested Xenforo, a relatively new competitor on the forum market, created by developers who were on the core team of vBulletin, the software we have been using since 2005. We found Xenforo to be superior to vBulletin.

Xenforo is not only fast and user-friendly, but also highly innovative and very intuitive, so the TCC members should have no difficulty in adapting to the new design and layout.

Why has it taken so long?

Two reasons:

- litigation between the new US holding company of vBulletin, Internet Brands, and Xenforo has held off XF development for almost two years, affecting a large number of webmasters who found themselves in the same predicament, to wait or to upgrade. With the court case finally resolved, XF development has resumed.

- vBulletin's latest product, vB5, has turned out to be a veritable programming and business disaster, thereby leaving us only one choice.

During the past few days, Owen and I have worked hard on a test server to port the TCC website over to the new software; the gallery and the classifieds will remain integrated into the forum.

We are planning to upgrade the page next week, most likely on Monday, watch out for announcements, also on TCC's facebook page, as we shall have to close the site down for a few hours.

I do hope you will like the new TCC website! Our priority shall be to establish full functionality, minor cosmetic issues will be dealt with once everything runs smoothly.

Thanks again for your support and your patience.

Thanks for announcing this, Thomas.

Just to add a little to what Thomas said, I have been ploughing through the new software install, porting over the general look of the site and getting everything looking good for you all. With anything like this, especially something as vast as custom-modding the appearance and functionality an entire website, there is no such thing as 'finished', so we have decided that now is as good a time as any to go live with what we have; this will mean that there is going to be the odd thing that looks a bit odd, or doesn't quite work 100% correctly at first, so if you do see anything like that, or have any ideas for added functionality, please do let us know; Thomas is the guy to speak to about major additions to the functionality of the site, and I am the graphics / appearance reference.

Actually pretty excited about the update now; always good to get my hand dirty customising a website. :)

Hope you like it.

sneakTCC.png

What's that? Transparent colour matched pop up menus, thread previews, Youtube embedding, mini-avatar notifications, automated dropdown menus, etc?

Why yes, it is... :)

Not to mention the new "Likes" system and the trophies, hehe...

Are URIs of postings and threads going to be compatible between the old and the new site? Or will the layout be different, but maybe with a read-only version of the old site still around? Is this going to break Google searches or not?

Back
Top Bottom