What's new

TCC site: update & restructuring

Or maybe as well as ignore someone - there could be a button - who or how many people are ignoring me.

Rest assured, Chris Williams, I will never put you on ignore. Far too many lols to be had with you on the scene!

Anyway, I have had a look at the ignore system, and it is possible to modify it to include likes given, but it is not a simple job, as the likes from one person affect the stats of other members. To include them in the current ignore system would mean writing a whole new set of classes; the current ignore system works in the following way...

[psuedo-code]
If UserIgnored = Yes
{
ShowUserPost = No
ShowUserQuote = No
}
[/psuedo-code]

As you can see, at the moment, if a user is ignored, they merely do not have their posts and quotes displayed in any given thread.

To extend this to Likes, it would require a fairly labyrinthine drilling down of code, using some exploratory classes...

Example...

[psuedo-code]
If UserIgnored = Yes
{
ShowUserPost = No
ShowUserQuote = No
ShowLikesOnAnyPost = No !--this would require another class writing / modifying to communicate with the main Like system set of classes, and is a job all of its own--!
}
WhenDisplayingStatsOfAnyUser
{
TotalLikesGivenToAParticularUserByOtherIgnoredUsers = x
DisplayTotalUserLike - x
}
[/psuedo-code]

The second part of this would not only require some hefty and complex class writing, but would also require a re-writing of all page templates, and their dependencies, which would also mean updating the whole trophy system.

All because you don't want to see the name of a user who you want to ignore, on your screen...

Rest assured, Chris Williams, I will never put you on ignore. Far too many lols to be had with you on the scene!
Don't mind if someone ignores me - I do have some crazy ideas that do come out onto paper before I think of the consequences.

@TCC, thanks for looking into it. I appreciate it!

As a non-technical solution I will work on my Zen instead ;)

Currently working on an 'Ignore Ignore' system, and will update when I get it past the concept stage. It is taking a bit of time though, as I am having to do all the coding while looking at the screen in the reflection of a small mirror attached to the end of a metal rod, held round a corner. The large newspaper I am holding in front of my face with two eye holes cut in it is getting in the way too.

Calm down Andy. Ignoring is a new modern and important feature of all social media. It's not the 90's anymore you know.

Actually I was thinking that we should have an "ignore all" button that allows you to ignore everything and everyone except yourself. That way I will be able to just read the stuff i'm really interested in and not have my time wasted with other peoples opinions or exploits.

Can we not just stop all this ignore business? If I start reading a post or thread that I don't like, I will simply stop reading it.

As long as you can do it with likes as well, let's face it, seeing that other people have liked stuff can be annoying for some people.

How about I just make everyones text a different colour, then you can all just get a selection of those coloured bits of clear plastic and hold them over the screen when you read the forum. Problem solved.

Guys, there's no need to get nasty over a feature request.

I would like to bring up the idea of an ignore thread feature. This add-on appears to let you choose where you can ignore threads, i.e. in the News Feed, forum list, etc.

@Doug3, we'll look into it. Thanks.

Guys, there's no need to get nasty over a feature request.

Have I missed something? Who is getting nasty?

I agree with Andy. All this "ignore" nonsense is just ridiculous if you ask me. Like Andy, if I don't like something or don't find it interesting I just don't read it. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom