What's new

TCC Obon Tour 2006

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Dear members,

I would like to know whether there is common interest in a (most likely) unofficial TCC Obon tour, lasting for 3 or 4 days (probably around August 12 - 15). Destination, route, etc. are up for discussion, please post any suggestions right here. :)

Freeride39 said:
I Will Definitely Make This Trip, If It Happens!

Cool! Any suggestions as far as destinations are concerned?

Shall we go somewhere by train or start right in the Tokyo area? Also, what distance can we cover in a day? :bike:

I'm interested, but have classes on Monday and Tuesday (though perhaps that weekend is a long one?). I also don't have (or want to buy) a bag for taking the bike on the train, but can potentially leave earlier to meet the group somewhere. When I went to Hokkaido from Tokyo I think the longest day was 160 km, most likely not logged in the mountains, but since I like to stop for meals it took about 11 hours. I can probably do that distance a little faster these days if I got enough sleep. Less is sometimes more, though, depending on where you want to be and what you want to see and do.

I'm pretty ignorant about the area around Tokyo; haven't seen much, and would be up for anything.

Freeride, Hank, thanks for your feedback!

Hank, yes, I believe the Obon weekend is a long one indeed. We might be able to go up to Niigata and back to Tokyo. As a matter of fact, I am not very fond of using a rinko-bukuro on the train either (as my frames are slightly too big for Japanese bike bags). Therefore, I'd prefer the "honest approach" (without bag) too. ;)

I am sure we could do more than 160km a day, so if you have any other destinations on your mind, please share them.

Thomas and Hank, The non-weekend rides are kinda tough, but I can take the couple days of leave and press on!

One more call to all members: who would be basically interested in participating in a 2 or 3-day ride during O-bon? :cool:

I'm still up for it, any destination is fine. If someone has a tent I can pack it.

For me, I just can take one day tour but I can catch you guys later.
I can bring my rinko bukuro and go by train. :D

Just for suggestion, what about if we go to Nikko?

Any another suggestion?

Hank said:
I'm still up for it, any destination is fine. If someone has a tent I can pack it.

How many days can you take off, Hank? In case you agree to Nikko it would take at least one day going there, next day Iroha zaka and Lake Chuzenji, and back to Tokyo the next day.

Also, what about just taking sleeping bags along, no tent? Sort of adventure trip... :warau:

True, the forecast doesn't call for much water. I can take 3 days off to go to Nikko, that sounds like fun.

Hank said:
True, the forecast doesn't call for much water. I can take 3 days off to go to Nikko, that sounds like fun.

Cool, Hank! So what three days can you actually take off?

I can take off whatever days I need to in order to join this trip--12, 13, 14 August or 13-15, or all 4 if we make it longer, but I like the prospect of three days. I'm flexible, though -

Hank said:
I can take off whatever days I need to in order to join this trip--12, 13, 14 August or 13-15, or all 4 if we make it longer, but I like the prospect of three days. I'm flexible, though -

I'll probably have to work on Saturday, August 12th, so I suggest we start on Sunday, the 13th and return on the 15th, with another optional day - just in case. I think Newton might join us for one day using his rinko-bukuro.

By the way, find a video of Iroha zaka below, a descent on a motorbike. Well, we will have to CLIMB these serpentines. :)

[yt]KFPI8htS2sk[/yt]

Leaving on Sunday works for me.

It would be fun to go sledding down that road if it were covered in snow!

Hank said:
Leaving on Sunday works for me.

Excellent, Hank. I am also off on Wednesday, just in case.

Now we just need to know whether Newton joins us one day for the Iroha zaka climb.

Hope it's alright for you to sleep right under the firmament. I still need to buy a sleeping bag and saddle bags for my bike. :)

Hank said:
It would be fun to go sledding down that road if it were covered in snow!

Wouldn't mind using the bike downhills.... but it's a one-way street. Only uphills.

Man that looks good if you it the APEX right. If it's raining, it will be sugoi abunai !!!

Hello Guys!!

Great!!! So, I will join on monday, 14th.

How many people we have so far?
What about Ben, Freerider and rest of the guys....

Back
Top Bottom