What's new

TCC Hall of Fame

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Upon popular request I have created a new template displaying hillclimb records of TCC members.

Note: I have started by adding my time climbing Odarumi-touge and Matsuhime-touge yesterday. They are just benchmarks, as I believe that Philip has already been much faster up Matsuhime-touge.

If you want your name and climb to be added just send me the following details by PM:

- location (mountain), if possible in English transcription as well as in kanji
- date
- time
- accompanied by (adds credibility!) ;)
- detailed map (MapmyRide) with the precise starting point and the finish

Find the TCC Hall of Fame here

=> https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/records.php

Route details

I will use this thread in order to add details about the precise routes. Just add your climb (starting point and finish) to this thread, this post will be updated constantly.

- Matsuhime-touge (松姫峠): starting point at the junction of R139 and R505 as some riders may start from Otsuki Sta. while other may ride out taking R20 and R505

- Odarumi-touge (大垂水峠): starting point is the FamilyMart right after Takao Sta. I know that the Positivo-Espresso riders start clocking a tad earlier, but there are no traffic signals after the combini.

Upon popular request I have created a new template displaying hillclimb records of TCC members.

Great! Thanks Thomas. This will be a fun and useful reference.

accompanied by (adds credibility!) ;)
I understand what you mean with this, but I don't know if listing who we rode with is necessary. I'd like to think that credibility will not be an issue. (Yes, most of my best times have been solo :))

Thanks again, Thomas!

Deej

Great thread Thomas, and also agree with Deej here. I often ride alone and I'm sure we as a community can trust each other when posting times. Even if I was riding with other guys, I can't imagine them wanting to check my computer to confirm my time....and if they did I'd be offended anyway:mad:

Ruhmeshalle Der Berge

Great initiative Thomas,

I would also agree that it is not neccessary to mention who was riding with one on the trip. If you want to cheat, you can, but one should assume in the first place that everybody is a good sportsman.

I have some other proposals which you might want to consider although:

1. Most of the climbs have two approaches, take Wada for example (East side and west side), so this should be mentioned perhaps in the "Mountain" datafield.

2. It would be nice to have some data available about the distance in [km], the elevation difference in order to entice other riders (or perhaps not) and put the own performance in the right perspective.

3. I, like perhaps some other riders, have no idea about MyMap. It looks complicated on first glance. Do we need a GPS system to use it or to register?
Couldn't we think about something easier to handle?

4. I think the times registered should be those achieved more or less from now on. And not the best times of the 1985 season when I was still 23 years old.

5. Of course all best times should be registered, not only the overall best I guess.

For consideration.

PS : OK, Positivo Espresso will switch the start of Otarumi to the Family Mart next year. But we will still eat at the 7-Eleven.

I can't imagine them wanting to check my computer to confirm my time

But just to be on the safe side, I'd like you to email me your Polar data after your rides. ;)

But seriously though, folks...

It might be a good idea to have a space on the template for listing specific landmarks at the starting and finishing points, so we can be even more, uh, anal, about this. Like:

Otarumi -- Start: FamilyMart; Finish: overpass.

Wada -- Start: bus stop; Finish: stone monument

Just an idea.

Deej

Thanks for your feedback, guys! I swear I didn't put so much importance on the "accompanied by" field, so I apologize if I have offended anyone - that was definitely not my intention. I will remove it from the template. :warau:

Michael, thanks for your suggestions. It does of course matter - as in the case of Wada-touge - which side people start their climb from: that info should go in the "mountain" field.

MapmyRide is quite user-friendly. Registration is free and you do not need GPs assistance to use it.

You haven't offended anyone Thomas. Just that because Deej and I often ride solo it'd be a shame if we couldn't post our times (if of course we ever got the best times that is):D Thanks for your understanding, you da man! By the way I have a day off tomorrow and I think I'll be riding over Matsuhime Toge for the first time. I'm not doing it to try and btreak your record Thomas, I promise:bike2: I've been meaning to do this one for quite some time and looking at the map you made really inspired me. That is one seriously long climb ....20km??? Holy crud.....:eek:

I swear I didn't put so much importance on the "accompanied by" field, so I apologize if I have offended anyone - that was definitely not my intention.

Absolutely, positively no offense taken, Thomas. I know you added the "accompanied by" field simply to provide more detail about the ride, not as a "proof of witness" category. I just thought perhaps that information was not needed.

I'm just grateful that you took the time to create it!

Deej

Deej have you sent your info in for the Wada climbs? You should definitely do it because it was because of you and Sergey (who should also send in the Otoge info in) that the whole Hal of Fame started. I'm sure Thomas will gladly add your name to the list.

You know I just about forgot about that Mikuni climb. It seems like months ago due to all the training I've been doing lately;) Hope that has you shaking in your shoes (or should I say Gladiator sandals) Ironsword:)

It seems like months ago due to all the training I've been doing lately;) Hope that has you shaking in your shoes (or should I say Gladiator sandals) Ironsword:)

My training has been pretty sparse lately, limited to around 120km once a week for the past few weeks. So I would guess that you have logged many more miles than I over the past month or so. My guess is that right now, you are the stronger rider. :eek:

I'm sure you're getting in some secret rides mate! What the heck? I just looked at your Wada west time and it's 30 seconds faster than before??? What's going on Ironsword? I hope this is a Thomas typo or otherwise you're getting faster and faster.

I'm sure you're getting in some secret rides mate! What the heck? I just looked at your Wada west time and it's 30 seconds faster than before??? What's going on Ironsword? I hope this is a Thomas typo or otherwise you're getting faster and faster.

Dude, I wish I had the time to get in some secret rides. My time on Wada (west) remains 22'45. Wada (east) is 17'03.

I think Thomas had one martini too many before inputting the data. :p

Deej

Yeah, I think the Quantum of Solace thread must've started him on the martinis:)

Yeah, I think the Quantum of Solace thread must've started him on the martinis:)

When I saw the title of that thread, I thought it was going to be about how you wanted to change your cycling handle to "Quantum of Solace." It would go well with your Liquigas kit. ;)

Cyclist A: Who is that guy?
Cyclist B: Oh man, that's Quantum of Solace.
Cyclist A: He looks hardcore.
Cyclist B: Oh, he's totally hardcore. Why do you think they call him Quantum of Solace?

I think Thomas had one martini too many before inputting the data.

Actually, today it was Japanese beer, Indian wine and Italian grappa. Haven't had martini in years. :D

Deej, you and I must have a few beers one night mate. BTW that Wada Touge West time still isn't right, is it?

Deej, you and I must have a few beers one night mate. BTW that Wada Touge West time still isn't right, is it?

We should definitely hook up for some beers. We need to balance out all our riding with a little off-the-steed socializing. I probably wouldn't recognize half of you guys in civilian clothing. Too bad we're all so far-flung. But yeah, let's organize a pizza and beer night. Or at least beer.

And yes, I think the beer/Indian wine/grappa combo proved too much for poor Thomas's frontal lobe.

Thomas, my good man, it's 22'45 on Wada west.

Deej

Back
Top Bottom