Taupo Cycle Challenge 2009

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I'm booked for a three-week trip to Auckland, NZ in November. My first visit. I'll have two weeks of work, spaced by a week in-between during which I hope to do lots cycling and cabin camping (don't fancy carrying/using a tent). Straight after that I'm entered for the 320km 'Enduro' version of the Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge. One day to rest and then I have an exam back in Auckland.

I see Arai-san went last year https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=1100 and put up a great photo gallery. Said (afterwards) that he was planning to go again!

I see also that there's at least one Kiwi here. Maybe more.

So I wonder if anyone else has done the Challenge previously and/or has tips to offer. And is anyone planning to go this year?

--Mike--

I'm booked for a three-week trip to Auckland, NZ in November. My first visit. I'll have two weeks of work, spaced by a week in-between during which I hope to do lots cycling and cabin camping (don't fancy carrying/using a tent). Straight after that I'm entered for the 320km 'Enduro' version of the Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge. One day to rest and then I have an exam back in Auckland.

I see Arai-san went last year https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=1100 and put up a great photo gallery. Said (afterwards) that he was planning to go again!

I see also that there's at least one Kiwi here. Maybe more.

So I wonder if anyone else has done the Challenge previously and/or has tips to offer. And is anyone planning to go this year?

--Mike--
I am glad you remember my sled regarding Taupo. but I will not go there this time by various reasons.

I wanted to try two laps(320Km) this year. There is a group of people who challenge four laps! Those who are in two laps group,they start at 1:00AM. Most participants are expected to return back around 4:00-5:00PM to attend the closing ceremony, so you will need to ride 20Km per hour in average, which is possible. The road is easy and safe even at night.

Just enyoy the beautiful country.

Minoru Arai

One tip to add: there is no convenience store along the road. Be prepared with good enough foods. You can place it at the start point and get it after one lap.

Richard

Warming-Up
Feb 28, 2009
Shibuya
I did the Taupo Cycle Challenge about 15 years ago on a mountain bike with slicks, the longest ride I'd ever done back then by a long shot but I managed to finish in a total of 5 hours (the winners take around 4).

Arai-san's comments from his trip last year is more up-to-date than anything I can add as the memory's faded a little, but it's not a difficult course, mainly rolling sheep country with only one noticeable climb, Hatepe Hill at about the 140km mark, which even then is only about 2-3km long and not that steep. I'm not sure what the arrangements are now, but I remember having to place my bike in the starting line-up almost an hour before the start and even then I was in the middle of the field. Apparently the event's a lot bigger nowadays too, although with a lot less people doing the Enduro it perhaps won't bother you.

Happy to give you more general info. on NZ if needed. If you haven't already you may want to chat to Brian of Half Fast fame who did the 320km double last year.