Tamagawa Twitching

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Brian will lead a variation on our Tama Loop Ride on Sunday. Meet at the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills at 10.00 a.m.

Begin forwarded message:

Tamagawa Bird Watchers Special [...]

Five Torafu-zuku (Long-eared Owl, Asio otus) are roosting in five trees just off our usual Tamagawa loop, and we can drop by to pay them a visit.

Proceed to the Futagotamagawa in the usual way.
From Futago, we continue on the Kawasaki side to Maruko Bashi where we will cross back over to the Tokyo side.
We ride along the bike path toward Gas Bashi to about the half-way point where we leave the bike path and ride
across the playing fields and along a dirt path by the river to the stand of trees in which the birds have been roosting
for the past several days. (Cyclecross, bring your tough wheels and tires.)

We will be able to get to within 10 or 20 meters of the birds, but I will bring my binoculars anyway.
Bring cameras (with telephoto?) and binoculars if you have them.

After looking at the birds a few minutes (they're mostly sleeping, owl's habits make watching them easy for diurnal
animals like us) we proceed to Gas Bashi and on in the usual way (Hinode dori, Optional Bakery, Jonanjima, etc.).

Alternate meeting points: Eibisu (10:30), Komazawa Koen (10:50), Futagotamagawa (11:15). Let me know if you want to join at
any of these places.

Of course, as always with wildlife, I can't guarantee the birds will be there, but the experts expect them to stick around for a while.

Brian
brian kimiko aki (all one word) at nifty dot com
zero nine zero nine nine five one three three nine three​
If you're planning to join a Half Fast ride please see our web site and note especially the Mission Statement so that you understand our take on cycling. Your agreement to not take things terribly seriously will be taken as read by virtue of you showing up.