What's new

Takyubinning

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
I recently got a new car and undecided whether to buy a roofrack etc yet.

Going up to Hakuba over the summer and will be taking 2 or 4 bikes up (somehow). (Plan on leaving 2 there).

One idea is to get some bike boxes from my team's support shop and get 'special' takyubin to take them up.

Anybody got some rough quotes on takyubining packed bikes?

Unpacked?

Bagged?

Even if I get a rack I won't fit 4 bikes on... (don't want to have to buy 4 carriers as well).

What car do you have? I managed to squeeze 4 bikes, 4 sets of wheels and 5 cyclists in the back of my x-trail (no bike racks). Luckily everyone only had a hold-all as their luggage.

What car do you have? I managed to squeeze 4 bikes, 4 sets of wheels and 5 cyclists in the back of my x-trail (no bike racks). Luckily everyone only had a hold-all as their luggage.
I'll have the wife, a large dog and luggage into a not so roomy Toyota C-HR.

Almost ordered this today in desperation but always felt the back spolier was not suitable... then stumbled onto the following warning on a UK site.

It's not possible to fit a rear door fitting bike carrier to this vehicle, this is due to the design and/or strength of the tailgate.
We would recommend considering either roof bar or tow bar mounting bike carriers. We have a great range of tow bar mountingand roof bar mounting bike carriers.
We also have good value package deals that include the roof bars and bike racks.

Went to the Niseko Classic and they were touting these guys, BTB

One guy out of about 20 I was with used them and it was a good experience for him.

Just putting the link up here, I know nothing and haven't even looked at the website properly...

C-HR probably the least biker friendly design Toyota ever made. I would use Sagawa and pack as many frames as you can in the car. Sagawa allow you to ship boxes up to 260cm size. put all the wheels in one big bike box, the frames in another and ship them as "bike parts" Cheaper than buying a carrier.

I would second on Sagawa but you will need to break the bike down quite a bit. Wheels off, bars turned, the full deal.
One way roughly ~Y4000 from Tokyo to Hakuba.

Kuroneko has recently (~1 year ago) become quite strict on box size and no longer take bikes. (at least from our corporate account, and we ship a lot of bikes)

Hakuba has some fantastic riding, enjoy! If you head south towards Matsumoto while riding, stop by Miasa Coffee. Great snacks/coffee in the middle of the woods. I think its a 40km loop or so if you head Hakuba/Miasa....and easy to add one some other loops to make it a much bigger ride.

http://www.miasacoffee.com/shop.html

(but it sounds like you know Hakuba quite well already)

Last edited:
(I know you mentioned you've just got a new car. But) if you're only going to need to shift this much stuff one time, you might consider renting a HiAce or similar van for this trip. Depending on how long you're gone, it could be cheaper than buying racks you don't really need.

Back
Top Bottom