What's new

takyoubin my heavy fr bike to minakami machi

mrkamot

Maximum Pace
Dec 28, 2010
hi! has anyone tried using the takyoubin to ship their bike ahead of time? i have some friends who have shipped skis (relatively low weight) and would only cost 2000yen but i'm sure its going to be more expensive for heavy objects.

thank you in advance!

hi! has anyone tried using the takyoubin to ship their bike ahead of time?
I have shipped my own bike by takkyubin and also bought and sold bikes involving transportation by takkyubin.

If you ask, the company will insist that you disassemble the bike and pack it in a box. This is usually not convenient for me, but I've found that if I insist that it will be fine in a bike bag and I don't mind if it gets a couple of new scratches, they will accept it and deliver it.

Same with airlines.

When I went to Hokkaido last year the local bike shop shipped two bikes to the sagawa depo near chitose airport. I couldn't get it shipped to my accommodation. We returned it as "unsatisfactory goods" a week later. the depo let us collapse the box and leave it there. It cost about 3man all together.

Is there any reason you can't carry it by rinko bag on the train? You are talking minakami in gunma right?

I just did it with Yamato ! cost was 3600 yens from Tokyo to Muroran.
No problem at all if you disassemble the seat and Handelbar.

:bike:

thanks for the reply guys!

@tamagojo yes I am planning to do the mtbjapan.com minakami beginners course with my wife in the coming months. i just want to use my own bike as i don't like rentals :) i have two options, bring the big a$$ bike and use my dakine bike bag on the joetsu (?) shinkasen and haul it myself or use the takkyubin (thanks for the correction mr. half-fast mike :)) to save on the effort :)

so essentially, shipping from kawasaki to minakami would cost less than 4000yen but that would only be 1 way

i have two options, bring the big a$$ bike and use my dakine bike bag on the joetsu (?) shinkasen and haul it myself or use the takkyubin (thanks for the correction mr. half-fast mike :)) to save on the effort
I and others here have carted bikes on the Shinkansen many, many times. No. 1 tip is to reserve your seat and make sure it's at the back of the carriage. If there are two of you, so much the better. Then you can stuff the bike, in its bag, behind the seats.

A third option, of course, is to ride there! From Tokyo it would be a nice long trek up riverside cycle paths - Edogawa and Tonegawa. 200km or so. :cool:

Yeah ride it, it's not that brutal a ride up RT17 esp if you take the Arakawa up to Kumagaya. An easy days ride with a nice soak in a hot pool at the end. Failing that, Shinkansen it with you. No extra charge.

Back
Top Bottom