What's new

Taking bike on Shinkansen

stanc

Maximum Pace
Sep 4, 2011
Hello all. I have just bought a bike box (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/roof-box-touring-box-bike-box/) for my upcoming holiday in march. It is larger than I expected to the degree that I worry that it is too big to take on the shinkansen. I had thought I could store it at the end of the carriage but I dont want to inconvenience other passengers. Does anyone have any experience of travelling with a bike or other large luggage on the shinkansen. I have thought about putting the bike in a rinko bukuro but dont have anywhere to store the box. The box is too big to use takkyubin services. I will have to leave my bike at home unless I can find a solution to this.

I worry that it is too big to take on the shinkansen.
It'll be OK. But book yourself a seat near to the end of the car if you can, so that you can jump up and more it if it gets in the way of the trolley lady. Wouldn't try to travel with this box in Golden Week, O-Bon or New Year. Other than that you should manage fine.
I have thought about putting the bike in a rinko bukuro but dont have anywhere to store the box.
I only use a rinko and some pipe lagging on my bike when I travel by air. I can thus ride away from the airport! See the pic at 0:40 here for an idea of what I mean.
The box is too big to use takkyubin services.
Whatever gave you that idea?

I've carried my road bike with Tioga Cocoon (rinko bag that requires removal of front wheel only) on Tokaido Shinkansen many times. Based on that;

1. The bike will fit behind the seatback of the last row.
2. Alternatively, you can rotate any seat row 180 deg to sit face-to-face (or should I say back-to-back), and put the bike in the space between seatbacks.
3. Better put the bike vertically if that space (either 1.or 2. above) is behind a double-seat. If it's a triple-seat, then no problem putting horizontally.

I'm not sure if it works the same for Tohoku/Joetsu/Sanyo...etc.

Thanks for your input guys. My main fear was that the box dimensions are L=115cm H=90cm W=30cm. The dimensions on Wiggle are internal. I have now found pictures of the space behind the last set of seats in a shinkansen carriage and the box will fit. Now I just need to book the right seats with my terrible Japanese :)

Half Fast Mike: re the takkyubin. I looked on Yamato Takkyubin & they show that the H+W+D must be less than 160cm and my bike box comes in at 235cm.

I once shipped a whole, unboxed bike via kuroneko. Very expensive (¥13k, if I remember right), but I just rolled it up and after the paper work, walked away. Nothing removed, no prep or packing whatsoever. It arrived okay at its destination the next day.

I did exactly the same as bird.
Just took the front wheel off and my 62cm bike fit behind the rear seats very easily.Of course I put it in a bag first.

I've ridden almost all the Shinkensens with rinko. Including the new Hayabusa. I generally tip it vertical and tie the drawstrings around the handrail in the inter-car space. Sometimes I can get one of the rear seat areas - you just have to be careful that the occupant can lean back all the way without smacking your bike. If you get your seats early enough, you can request one of those back seats, since all seats are reserved on Shinkensen.

Half Fast Mike: re the takkyubin. I looked on Yamato Takkyubin & they show that the H+W+D must be less than 160cm and my bike box comes in at 235cm.
I see. I tend to use takkyubin as a generic term for these companies, although it's actually a Kuroneko-Yamato trademark.

Seino is probably the best for shipping bikes and bike-sized things. Great service for events as well.

http://www.seino.co.jp/seino/service/domestic/cycling/

For what it's worth - I did nearly the same on one of my local Asian flights. The handler just <literally> tossed my bike into one of the plastic bins same as they do for child prams, golf clubs and other non-standard baggage. No issues at all. I'd probably be more cautious with a Carbon frame - but with Ti, I figured they'd have to smack it pretty hard to cause any damage. Decoupled and tied to the wheels, it fit fine within their volumetric allowance which is roughly 160cm L+H+W

It'll be OK. But book yourself a seat near to the end of the car if you can, so that you can jump up and more it if it gets in the way of the trolley lady. Wouldn't try to travel with this box in Golden Week, O-Bon or New Year. Other than that you should manage fine.

I only use a rinko and some pipe lagging on my bike when I travel by air. I can thus ride away from the airport! See the pic at 0:40 here for an idea of what I mean.

Whatever gave you that idea?

Thank you all again. Complication is that I dont own a rinko and havent found anyone selling them in the uk and the bike is carbon (an older style Look with Alu lugs). I am intending to buy one as soon as I arrive in Tokyo.
Mike: Thanks for the link. I had looked at Yamato, Sagawa & Nittsu but hadnt seen Seino. I'll have a good look at their site when I get in from work. There are only two journeys that I am concerned about. Tokyo to Okayama & 2 weeks later Lake Biwa/Nagoya area to Utsunomiya.

Stanc,
I have a rinko . Bought it when I was based in Tokyo. Used it a couple of times. Yours for the cost of postage if you want it as I am unlikely to be back in Japan other than for a couple of days here and there and have found no real use for it n the uk.
Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom