Help Tacx Roller Noise

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
Calling all tacx roller users (andy)
After less than 20 use sessions, first one then two drums started emitting a horrible gatagata noise.
It seems to be a manufacturing issue common to all tacx rollers, where the bearings themselves are fine, but develop some play on the axle.

I tried fixing it by inserting some rubber rings between bearings and frame with limited results. Anybody got a better idea?

Disclaimer: I'm still on warranty, but I got these abroad, so shipping them in under guarantuee is not an option for time and expense reasons

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
Setagaya
www.tokyocyclingcoach.com
For me, the allen bolts that hold the rollers in the frame stripped out a bit, allowing the rollers to bang around slightly, creating vibration and noise. I purchased some longer bolts that I could really tighten down with loctite and that seemed to help.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Like Doug says, it could be the something loose, so check all bolts are tight.

However, I suspect it’s the bearings. The back two drums are likely to wear out first. Spin each one with your hand and compare the sounds. They should be silent. If there is a burring noise from a drum it’s the bearings. That noise is exacerbated when you ride them. Also compare how long they spin for. If one spins less than the other two, that’s another sign.

If one of the rear drums is noisy, a temporary solution is to switch it to the front where it will run quieter as it bears less load. However, they’ll need replacing eventually.

I replaced the bearings in one of my drums last winter. It’s easily done as they are a sealed unit. Enosan got them from a local manufacturer and he insists they are of really good quality. My other two drums are really noisy now but I’m using it as a deterrent from riding the rollers! However, I will replace them so if you want to change yours we could do it at the same time.

However, if under warranty, maybe Tacx will accept bearings in the post (and not the whole set of rollers). Something to ask them about.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will get a new set of bearings just in case and see if that changes anything. Although it is the front drum that's the problem and all the drums sill spin nicely without noise at low speed.
Went to spinning class at the gym instead today and blew things up.