What's new

Synenergy Coaching

I got PRs on 3 climbs I used to do regularly on the Miura loop. I am torn on if that is the weight or the constant short climbs on the MTB building up my legs for the short punchy climbs.
likely a combination of both.

I really like the progress you are making. What scale did you get? I got a Withings scale, which automatically uploads my body measurements to my smartphone. Unlike my previous scale, it does measure body fat more accurately, my previous scale got stuck at a certain percentage even though I was clearly losing fat mass.

You are right that you should only look at averages. My Withings app makes that very easy. It automatically graphs an average and tells me how much my weight has changed compared to last month.
The Scale was on sale last week - Tanita
It also has an app for Tanita - HealthPlanet

likely a combination of both.
This is somewhat my guess.
I am lighter, but don't feel stronger.

If I'm not being too presumptuous, could I suggest swapping your lunch and dinner to have a more effective result for weight loss (which is a bit rich considering how fat I am, but still....)?

I am quite pleased with 16kg lost in just over 2 months with little effort on my part - so losing it faster isn't really something I am trying for.

The main 2 reasons for how my meals are now...
1) At home I have time to prep & enjoy the meal with my wife.
2) At work - I also get to eat with my wife, however it is rushed and my mind is on work. Add to that, I am eating meals previously prepped and at best I have a microwave to heat up the food. I much prefer to eat my meat freshly cooked vs microwaved a day later.

It would be disappointing at best to remove "dinner time with the family" - I get we would still be together, but if I am cooking for everyone else, I am not going to be too excited over a salad.

Last edited:
if I am cooking for everyone else, I am not going to be too excited over a salad.
Didn't think about this.... but @OreoCookie - this might be a big part of why I get my way. I do 70% or more of the cooking... And maybe the same percentage getting groceries, etc... I also like things tidy, so I pick up the house every night before I go to bed. I do that for myself - because I wake up first and like to relax wen drinking my coffee... if I see a mess, my anxiety goes up. Bad way to start the morning.

bloaker said:
This is somewhat my guess.
I am lighter, but don't feel stronger.
you also had a screwed up knee and another month of pretty light riding, you shouldn't be stronger. Just think what you'll do with a few months on a SS as training.

Well done on the SSWC entry. How's the body vis a vis aches and pains? Might be time to get a structured training plan written down. Seems you have the diet part taken care of. But your calorific needs will go up as your training intensity increases. Being underfueled can set you up for a smackdown physically and emotionally.

Riding a SS can set you up for a smackdown physically and emotionally....

Riding a SS can set you up for a smackdown physically and emotionally....
I've done 100km and 220km SS events on back to back weekends. Former off road latter on road. Beer is a great elixir but won't make up for interrupted training.

Didn't think about this.... but @OreoCookie - this might be a big part of why I get my way. I do 70% or more of the cooking... And maybe the same percentage getting groceries, etc... I also like things tidy, so I pick up the house every night before I go to bed. I do that for myself - because I wake up first and like to relax wen drinking my coffee... if I see a mess, my anxiety goes up. Bad way to start the morning.
Hmmm, I'll give that a try. (We are closer to 60-40, I like cooking a lot, I prepare all breakfasts, although my wife does bake bread almost every day with our bread maker. I'm also the neat freak amongst the two of us, so perhaps instead of nagging, I should just do it myself and ask for something else in return.)

Does your wife have any hobbies that are very important to her?

Hmmm, I'll give that a try. (We are closer to 60-40, I like cooking a lot, I prepare all breakfasts, although my wife does bake bread almost every day with our bread maker. I'm also the neat freak amongst the two of us, so perhaps instead of nagging, I should just do it myself and ask for something else in return.)

Does your wife have any hobbies that are very important to her?
Unfortunately - no. She used to be a runner, but the first couple groups she ran with here turned her off completely.
She hits the gym 3 times a week after work and usually takes the oldest with her while the youngest is in daycare.
I use that time to get in a quick ride, then start making dinner. it is usually ready as she gets home.

Now she does some occasional crafting with friends and I take the girls out hiking.

1583384679509.png

SO things are slowing down as I have less of me to lose.
I am also being a bit less strict, but paying attention to what is adversely affecting me and understanding why.

Mostly - I am paying attention to what makes me feel lethargic and just moving away from that overall.

Weight: 88.5
BodyFat: 22.9
Muscle Mass: 64.75
Muscle Score: 0
Visceral Fat: 13
BMR: 1937
Metabolic Age: 40
Est. Bone Mass: 3.5
Body Water Mass: 52.1
BMI: 25

The Visceral Fat is the only number that concerns me still as 1-12 is considered healthy and I sit right there at 13.
Also my blood pressure has dropped significantly. It is still considered high, but no longer in the danger zone it was in.
Before it was not uncommon for a 140/100 reading (sometimes higher/lower). Now I hover in the 120/90.

Anyhow - just an update.
Last Nights DInner...
1585170162310.png

Any the results of a typical grocery run...
1585170270034.png

That's not high blood pressure. You're well and truly in the healthy range, especially if you're middle-aged.

I got a Tanita scales recently too. not too worried about absolute trustworthiness of the measurements, as long is it's relatively correct, i.e. consistent with itself. so far so good, hovering between 66-67kg, and 13-14% body fat (most probably this is an underestimate, but... see the previous sentence).

I'd be happy to stay at this body-weight, 3-4kg heavier than my best climbing form of years gone by, which I don't really wanna go back to. would be good to swap a kg of fat for some lean mass, but easier said than done at this age (38). for now I'm just gonna continue daily (or twice-daily) measurements, get a good feeling for the data VS my subjective feel, and slowly take it from there. consistent measurements and being conscious of the whole thing is a basis for any form of body weight management really

Back
Top Bottom