What's new

Synenergy Coaching

Main Points -
1) Avoid inflammatory foods and add more plant based food.
2) Don't do anything you hate or make drastic changes as those are not sustainable.

What is an "inflammatory food"? (and please don't say cheese :innocent: )

What is an "inflammatory food"? (and please don't say cheese :innocent: )
This is just geared toward autoimmune, it covers a lot of what we discussed.

And a quick additional reading.

No mention of cheese, however i did research some of it and dairy is kinda on the list. Luckily i dont do much dairy, so a switch to almond or soy milk wont be hard

A quick update as I have been traveling quite a bit this month....

I am back home and sleeping in my own bed, it is as glorious as I imagined!

1) I have stuck with meat only once a day and keeping the portions around 400g when I do. Avoiding Milk & Cheese for the most part - I have had cheese on a salad and a few other things, but keeping it in check.
2) On the plane, I set my meal preference for strict Vegan. I hate airplane food anyway, so worth giving it a shot. IMO, it was superior to the beef or chicken usually offered, most of the food had more flavor as 2 of the meals were Indian and once of them a spicy hummus. I drank water and tomato juice on the plane.
3) When given the option, I ordered fish vs other meats.
4) I have yet to feel hungry.
5) This is the big kick in the nuts - with jetlag, I am not sure if I feel better or not physically, however... I have felt less cloudy mentally when I first wake up. Again... jetlag cannot be 100% dismissed, but I am hopeful.

Lastly... in roughly 2 weeks time without weight being the focus, I have dropped 6.2kg, from 107.2 to 101kg.
Not one pill or shortcut (shakes etc) - just moving to majority plant based food & removing alcohol.
For reference - I always give up alcohol from Jan to March, with no other changes, I usually lose about 6kg in 3 months.
And lastly, due to travel, I did not exercise nearly as much as I normally would.

Unscientifically -
I am not sure where the weight is lost.
My pants feel more comfy, but I have not lost a ton around the waste.
My pee is still clear and I am drinking tons of water (did that before too) so I am not dehydrated.
In the mirror, you can tell a little bit my shirt hangs more than it used to, however again, it isn't obvious when looking in the mirror without a shirt on.
I think I just lost a little everywhere and it has added up to a bigger than expected amount lost.

New month, figured I would drop in an update.
9.5kg down and still not feeling hungry or having any real cravings.
Sure... I would love to grab a pizza on a random night and have a beer.... but I am in my annual dry spell anyway, so possibly that is helping keep my cravings in check.

I have been eating spinach salads and quinoa salads (premade from Costco)for lunch. Add some of my favorite hot sauces and I am not tired of either... even after a month.

Dinners have been mostly tuna & chicken. I have had steak once and ground turkey once.
But with the 1,000,000 different ways to cook chicken, I am not tired of it either.

---------------------------
The other end of the spectrum... wifey is always hungry and wants to snack and wants to eat bad, etc....
Habits are harder to break for some.

New month, figured I would drop in an update.
9.5kg down and still not feeling hungry or having any real cravings.
Congrats on the progress.
The other end of the spectrum... wifey is always hungry and wants to snack and wants to eat bad, etc....
Habits are harder to break for some.
Does she also want to shed some weight or eat more healthily?

Does she also want to shed some weight or eat more healthily?
She is in this too. Started the same time as me, but.... .
2 little ones honestly wear on her more than me. They need their mom more than me.
So for her - she is always feeling run down and just wants some "comfort foods" - understandably.

Dinners have been mostly tuna & chicken.

I'd go easy on the tuna. It can contain quite a bit of mercury and should not be eaten daily. Once or twice a week is OK though:

I take most of my protein from chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), lentils, Fava beans, other beans and dairy (which I find hardest to give up if I were to go vegan).

I am plenty familiar with the mercury info. Wifey is a fan and been preggo twice so we had to keep an eye on everything she ate.
So yeah.. we don't eat it daily. We eat it weekly.
As for protein, lots of lentil soup sometimes with black beans added.
Dairy I have had no issues giving up. I mean... I haven't given it up, but a half gallon of milk could last me a month and I don't often eat cheese.

ok - now for the $$$ part of this.... My biking clothes don't fit well anymore.
My MTB shorts? 50% don't have belt loops, and are adjusted as tight s possible. I can jump up and done 2 or 3 times and they fall off.
I have mediocre taste in bike clothes with regards to price.... So this is gonna hurt my wallet at $50-$70usd per pair.

I am slowing down in weight loss, but I am fluctuating between 13-15kg of lost weight.
I need to refocus on food prep and variety. My meals lately have been a little less than balanced and I can tell I am more hungry.
The go to snack is currently mixed nuts as a handful can hold me over to the next meal usually.
Also - wifey wants a bit more variety in dinners, so looking up some soups to add to the mix.

Last edited:
Congrats, 15 kg is a huge amount! That's pretty much all the weight I have lost over 1.5 years and you did it in a few months. My wife would be happy to pay for new clothes in those circumstances.

(By the way, all you need to do to finance your new clothes is to sell one of your N bikes … ;):p:eek:)

I bought a new scale this past week and understand it may/may not be inline with my baseline scale.
I will have access to the initial scale I used later this month for comparison.
The initial scale is at the hospital. Mine is the home use version.
There are daily fluctuations and below shows it. I don't put too much stock into the numbers, but I do look at the trends.
BTW - The Muscle score thing makes no sense to me and I have googled it to try and understand.... if good is right, I am close to dead, I guess.

My mid term goal was to drop out of the "Clydesdale class" (200lb).
My long term goal was to get a little faster climbing. On Sunday I got PRs on 3 climbs I used to do regularly on the Miura loop. I am torn on if that is the weight or the constant short climbs on the MTB building up my legs for the short punchy climbs.

Diet is still pretty much the same.
Morning - Black Coffee.
Lunch - plant based something. (Quinoa salad from Costco is pretty much my go to - I add smoked jalapeno sauce to it)
Dinner - Chicken, Beef, Fish with vegetable sides.

No, I am not avoiding bread or starches - it just doesn't usually compliment my meals and if I am hungry, I will eat some extra broccoli or something vs bread or a pototo.

DECEMBER03/01/202003/02/202003/03/202003/04/2020
106.6Weight92.75 kg90.70 kg91.15 kg90.2kg
26.9Body Fat %25.10 %25.10 %24.30 %23.30%
74.3Muscle Mass65.95 kg64.45 kg65.45 kg65.65kg
Muscle Score1011
12Visceral Fat Level13.513.513.513
2327Basal Metabolic Rate1985 kcal1933 kcal1967 kcal1970kcal
55Metabolic Age42 Age43 Age42 Age40
3.8Estimated Bone Mass3.60 kg3.50 kg3.60 kg3.6kg
50.7Body Water Mass50.1 %49.5 %50.9 %52.1
30.3BMI25.925.725.825.5

I really like the progress you are making. What scale did you get? I got a Withings scale, which automatically uploads my body measurements to my smartphone. Unlike my previous scale, it does measure body fat more accurately, my previous scale got stuck at a certain percentage even though I was clearly losing fat mass.

You are right that you should only look at averages. My Withings app makes that very easy. It automatically graphs an average and tells me how much my weight has changed compared to last month.

Back
Top Bottom