What's new

Synenergy Coaching

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I have recently agreed to be a somewhat public subject for Synenergy Coaching. The equally good news... so has my wife. She is small in stature, but wants to tone up a bit and feel better.

Today to get a base line, I hopped on a Tanita Scale.

My Stats:

Height6'2"
Weight235lb
Fat% 26.9
Fat Mass 63.4lb
FFM 172.4lb
Muscle Mass 164lb
TBW 119.6lb
TBW% 50.7
Bone Mass 8.4lb
BMR 9736kj
2327kcal
Metabolic Age55
Visceral Fat Rating12
BMI 30.3 30.3
Ideal Body Weight171lb
Degree Of Obesity 37.6%

My goal is just to feel better and have more energy. Supposedly..... 173lbs is my ideal weight. That is hard to believe.... as I felt most healthy/strong/capable at 190lb.
But even then - that is significantly lighter than my current weight. So a week in Guam with the family then home to make some changes.

I have been talking with the coach as he is putting it together - he is focusing more on my diet since I am already more active than his average clients.
Healthy natural foods is his normal approach as it seems - Fruits and Veggies are a staple.
I have known the coach for almost 8 years now and I have never heard him utter a word of Keto, south beach, no carb, etc.... he always is about well rounded, proper proportions, non-processed food.

My guess is that meal prep and thinking ahead will be the hardest part. No quick convenient meals typically fit the bill for that.
I gave up soda about 6 weeks ago and every year, I drop beer for 2.5 months.... this year might be longer. :( so this is normal for me to give up after Christmas vacation anyway.

But if I feel better... it won't be hard to stay committed and press on.

Current Condition:
Every morning my body hurts.
I have been in one horrific car wreck (resuscitated) and several minor ones.
I used to race supersport and superbikes and have been thrown like a rag doll off them at speed.
Years of mountain biking and hiking, and running, and general bodily abuse have added up over the years.
Throw in a poor diet and a mindset that still thinks I am 25.... recipe for painful mornings.

Healthy, fruits and veggie for the win! Hope it is not so strict that it would take a toll on your condition. Good luck!

That's me: 6'2'', 176lbs, 25yrs (for the last 14yrs) - don't get tricked by the numbers, though. They can be used as indicators, but don't necessary equal good health.
I'm more and more feeling the need of adjusting my diet the longer I'm staying 25, too. More (organic) plants, less non-plants. But also less processed food, added salt, added sugar etc. (Though I'm not keeping it up during Christmas time, and exception are okay in my thinking - as long as I can still call them that.)
I believe the feel-good, being-happy, and low-(bad)stress factors play an important role on one's way to good health, both mentally and physically.
Anyway, the way I read your posts you're having a well balanced and reasonable goal. You'll get there @bloaker. And I'll take you as an inspiration. I'm looking forward to the updates on this.

I'm very interested in your experience here. I'd like to tackle my nutrition next, too, and a lot of the information on the web is about weight loss and getting active. Being quite active can mask a lot of problems because you aren't pushing yourself to the limit. How did you find the coach? What kind of coach is (s)he? Is (s)he also a nutritionist? How much is it if I may ask?

I'm very interested in your experience here. I'd like to tackle my nutrition next, too, and a lot of the information on the web is about weight loss and getting active. Being quite active can mask a lot of problems because you aren't pushing yourself to the limit. How did you find the coach? What kind of coach is (s)he? Is (s)he also a nutritionist? How much is it if I may ask?
Faron is the coach. He used to live outside of Atsugi. Up until recently he was just a friend who I would ride with and have the occasional cookout with. He lives in Hawaii and he has his son's bike at his house (a 58cm) - so when I go to Hawaii, we make time to ride together. I just ship him my kit and he picks me up from the hotel when I get there and it is good times as always. Faron has always been a bit of a health nut - but fun to be around.

Faron became a Personal Trainer year ago, but I never took notice because honestly, in my spare time I am on the bike or playing with my kids, and a PT is not really anything I have ever wanted. He recently got a "Holistic Nutrition" cert from American College of Healthcare Sciences. This is actually what got me curious. Not that I am into the "holistic" thing - but one of my friends who is already a health nut and a physical trainer just went and got an accredited certification?!?!?

So I hit him up with a "So what do you do exactly" type question.
The response was long, but here is a snippet of what has me engaged....

"As far as what I do, it varies by client. Sometimes focus on exercise plans, other times help on eating properly, often a combination of both. Many of my clients are dealing with more than just weight issues, so I help them, through better nutrition and physical activity to address a myriad of metabolic diseases, autoimmune, depression, sleep issues, etc. It all connects back to what one eats and their level of activity. Haha, that's as clear as mud."

His clear as mud is him referencing me and knowing that I like clear cut answers...

So as for cost, I think it goes with the above response, what do you need? What do you want? etc...

There is a Facebook group he has started. It is generic tips, some motivational antidotes, feedback, etc....
If you have interest in the group -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/771585513266320/ - it is a public group so you can request to join or PM me at https://www.facebook.com/JustMichael and I can get you added.

Long winded, sorry. It is early and I have a plane to catch - didn't really have time to think of a more eloquent way to throw my response together.

That sounds quite interesting.
Can you at least ballpark the costs, though? Are we talking ~$100 per month or many times more than that? (The only other person who has a personal trainer is the founder of our cycling team who spends AFAIK somewhere around $800 per month.)

That sounds quite interesting.
Can you at least ballpark the costs, though? Are we talking ~$100 per month or many times more than that? (The only other person who has a personal trainer is the founder of our cycling team who spends AFAIK somewhere around $800 per month.)
Everything depends, however i don't see it near what your cycling buddy pays.

I just met last week with a personal trainer for the first time ever. We had an assessment/consultation. After one hour of assessing and doing some initial body work I was able to squat the deepest I have ever gone with no knee pain whatsoever. He went to discuss what he was evaluating: posture, gait, scapular function, joint plane stability, myofascial structure and neuromuscular function. We also discussed diet and next steps.

While I was originally thinking of an online coach, after meeting with Jeff in Tokyo, I cannot imagine working with someone offsite. While they may be able to offer up a training and diet plan as well as support, the piece that is missing is body work and stretching.

I have no doubt in person trainers are great! My wife has had wonderful and horrible PT. All of them certified too. The trick like any is finding someone you trust as well and having schedules that work. Online back and forth has a very high availability as well as community to help keep you motivated.
With two kids and a job that can change my hours last second, scheduling is a huge issue for me.

Glad you found someone to help get you sorted!

Yesterday my wife and I had an online meeting with Faron.
Faron and I chat via IM all the time and we have constantly ribbed each other on facebook, but this was a bit different.
Faron was eager to share knowledge, listen to our experience and routines and offer small tweaks here and there to not dramatically change what we do, but to make it healthier.

Main Points -
1) Avoid inflammatory foods and add more plant based food.
2) Don't do anything you hate or make drastic changes as those are not sustainable.

Yes, we discussed a bit more, but that was the overwhelming 2 points.
My biggest adjustment will be less meat as I am more or less a meat and potatoes guy.

Back
Top Bottom