What's new

Review Sweat Gutr headband

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
I first reviewed this product in August 2010.

85430_main.jpg

Here's the manufacturer's web site.

It works like a rain gutter on a house, but for sweat on your forehead.

Helmet pads, liners, sweatbands etc. get saturated quickly in a Tokyo summer. The Sweat Gutr diverts the sweat away from the eyes and down the sides of the face, rather than absorbing it, so it never gets saturated. As a bonus unlike with the caps or Halo bandanas I used to wear, I now get an almost-cooling breeze on my head.*

I bought two of these in 2010 and used them alternately, most days, in the three summers since then. One of them split after two seasons, at the bend where the elastic band connects. The other is still OK. I like it so much that I don't want to risk being without, so I've just bought two more.

I previously bought from Rakuten. This time I bought from Amazon. Under ¥2,000.

*Important: remember the need for UV protection.

I had a few questions for you about it but the maker's website took care of them. However, that is the maker saying those things so what's your word on the fit with a helmet and leaving a mark/being too tight?
Just after I read this review I was out sweating all over the shop wishing I had something to keep it from my eyes and sunglasses.
On the verge of getting one. You seem very pleased with yours.

I had a few questions for you about it but the maker's website took care of them. However, that is the maker saying those things so what's your word on the fit with a helmet and leaving a mark/being too tight?
It comes with a selection of bands to adjust the fit so it's right for you. It needs to be fairly tight to form a sweatproof seal across your brow. The helmet sits above that.

Depending on how far forward you lean while riding, you'll want to adjust the overall angle to make sure the front is slightly higher than the sides. Also be warned: if the angle is wrong and you're getting a build-up in the Gutr, a glance down at your cycle meter will bring on an unwanted corneal lavage.

And the sweat doesn't disappear - it will flow down the side of your face just in front of your ears. (A good sign that both you and the Gutr are working!) This can make your helmet straps soggier/saltier/stingier than usual.

Back
Top Bottom