What's new

Support better cycling infrastructure in Tokyo!

Byron Kidd

Cruising
Jun 1, 2010
An NPO concerned with the promotion of bicycle use in Tokyo has created a petition which will be presented to runners in the upcoming election for Tokyo Governor in the lead up to the 2020 Olympic games asking for:

• More, and better designed, bike lanes lanes
  • Better bicycle parking facilities
  • The establishment of a city wide bicycle sharing system

The aim of the petition is to raise awareness of sustainable cycling at a government level.

Anyone is able to sign the petition regardless of their country of residence, and having more foreign signatures shows Tokyo that this is an issue being monitored by concerned parties all over the world.

Please take the time to sign the petition and show your support for cycling in Tokyo by visiting : https://www.cycle-tokyo.com/

Or for more information in English, including a guide to filling out the (quite simple) Japanese form click here.

I'm just wondering if the Japanese Government actually recognizes petitions as a legitimate form of lobbying the Japanese government.

Also if it is I'm wondering what the rules in regards to what makes a petition valid, I know that some countries require the signatures of petitions to be a national of the country as well as being of voting age and having the legal right to vote and this petition asks just that. So i'm wondering if signing the petition as someone although legally allowed to reside in Japan (Permanent Resident) Im not actually able to vote and thus makes my signing void?

I'm just wondering if the Japanese Government actually recognizes petitions as a legitimate form of lobbying the Japanese government.
That's an interesting question. It's certainly a popular form of collective vocalization, and an important part of the democratic process. However, research suggests that in Japan gathering signatures is not an efficient or effective way of influencing policy. (Basically, nothing is. The politicians will do as they like, depending on who is paying them the most this month.)

Anyway this petition is directed to the forthcoming Tokyo Governor. Not the national government.

Also if it is I'm wondering what the rules in regards to what makes a petition valid, I know that some countries require the signatures of petitions to be a national of the country as well as being of voting age and having the legal right to vote and this petition asks just that. So i'm wondering if signing the petition as someone although legally allowed to reside in Japan (Permanent Resident) Im not actually able to vote and thus makes my signing void?
The petition asks if you are eligible to vote in the Tokyo Gubernatorial election. As a Kanagawa resident, you are not eligible. But you absolutely have a right to be heard, and your participation certainly would not void the petition. As noted, however, it will probably make not the slightest difference to cycle infrastructure outcomes.

Pol. Sci. majors feel free to chip in.

Last edited:
(Basically, nothing is. The politicians will do as they like, depending on who is paying them the most this month.)

Well maybe they should be collecting bribe money, I would happily chip in!

Hijack away! I'm just glad its generating some interest.

At the end of the day who can say what effect petitions have on governments around the world? Probably little I'd guess, but that shouldn't stop us from getting involved. I mean what other avenues do we have (in particular us foreigners who can't vote) to make our voices heard?

Even if this petition makes just a small blip on some politicians radar its a start, we need to raise awareness of the issue. Most Japanese "cyclists" are happy with the situation as it is because they don't know of the alternatives, its our job as uncontrollable noisy foreigners to stir the pot and provide the momentum to get things done.

(I have an article coming up on Tokyo By Bike soon in which I shame some politicians by name, probably the very ones who can help make cycling in Japan better ... oops)

Byron, not a highjack. It's totally on point and valid questions. However I'm always wary regardless of how great the cause is when asked for my name and address and if my input really has no legal standing or bearing on the legitimacy of the document in question I would rather not give that very personal information to unknowns.

Just my own honest opinion.

The privacy policy for the campaign can be found here:

https://www.cycle-tokyo.com/kiyaku.php

At the end of the day its a personal decision to sign or not. I personally believe its worth the effort and have no problem disclosing my name, email address, and the fact that I support better cycling infrastructure in Tokyo. Others are free to disagree.

(If Toyota get their hands on this information and send around their goons to break my legs, then will stand .. erm .. lie .. corrected.)

(If Toyota get their hands on this information and send around their goons to break my legs, then will stand .. erm .. lie .. corrected.)
Toyota might think "Ah - here's an opportunity to diversify."
uzu5.gif

A Toyota bicycle might be a huge seller, with their reputation for reliability and innovation in autos.

Or not.

Last edited:
I think the police have a lot of control/influence over what happens on the roads and how things work. Maybe the petition should be sent to them, and CC'd to the politicians?

On second thought then it might be more effective to collect not signatures but donations for the retired policemen's fund ;)

Only two more days remain to sign this petition to improve cycling infrastructure in Tokyo.

We've collected over 6,000 signatures, yours will help the cause.

The details of the petition were presented to Tokyo Governor candidates last week and responses of support were obtained from 6 candidates with a handful going so far as to make improving cycling infrastructure a part of their election platform.

Sure politicians will say anything to get votes, but we've put cycling on their radar and will continue to apply pressure moving forward.

Nice work - I will remove my cycling cap and eat it!

Huge respect to you for actually pursuing candidates and not only getting their signatures on the petition (and hopefully some blank cheques) but also educating them to the point that it is now part of their election platform.

Nice work - I will remove my cycling cap and eat it!

Huge respect to you for actually pursuing candidates and not only getting their signatures on the petition (and hopefully some blank cheques) but also educating them to the point that it is now part of their election platform.
It wasn't said that they signed it.

I wonder if they did

Shimano should loosen its purse strings and start making bri... I mean donations, to some of those candidates.

Back
Top Bottom