What's new

SUPER WEE TOUR

Jules

Speeding Up
Nov 8, 2009
Hi guys. I am to give a cousin a taste of road biking in Japan come end February, still cold no doubt(?) He is not a cyclist-O. He drinks wine and sake for a living. Can anyone suggest a super relaxing ride.... something that can be done gently over a day, with picaresque detours (40km max with 200m climbs, less than 7%..). Thinking of jumping a train 2hrs out of Tokyo of a Saturday evening (spas and a good sleep) and a ride on Sunday.

Cheers!

Jules

Tamagawa finishing at Fusanobirugoya for beers and sake!

You probably know these already, but if I'm bring a person into biking, i'd do the following locally:
- strolls up arakawa. Simple, scenic (until you're bored of the river), and wide open. I try to minimize my time on Tamagawa as the multi-purpose lane is narrow and risk level is high give the volume of people, kids, mama chari's, and pets that share the lane.
- joining Half Fast Mike's HF rides (amazing array of back street, food/drink stops across Tokyo. As name implies its Half Fast and having fun is a priority.
- loops at Oi Futo - borring but nice workout and to get a feel for the "scene" and single lane paceline

For day trips (driving/using train)..
- Go to Kamakura and head to Odawara along the ocean, or go opposite direction into Miura penninsula. scenic, lots of places to eat/dring, and easy to hop on train back home
- Weather/temps permitting - rides around Utsunomiya, Enzan/Yamanashi (lots of winery's and peach/fruit stands), hills round sagami lake

-

Get a bike, ride to station, and throw it on the train. Take the romance special to Hakone, take the bike off the train and lock it somewhere. Stay at Hakone onsen, then grab your bike and get back on train back to Tokyo! Minimum of riding and maximum of fun!

Back
Top Bottom