What's new

Super odd rack attachment question

yokotas13

Warming-Up
Feb 15, 2008
Ok, so im moving back to japan next month (march 1) and id like to keep using my current bike as my commuting bike. I have a car there, but would rather use it as little as possible..ya know, carbon offsetting a big turbo and no cat converter and such. So i want to continue to use my 2010 Fuji Track pro:
5020230042_6758f157b8_b.jpg

in go somewhere fast mode

IMG_9285 by Flsimages, on Flickr
in grocery store mode

Now here is the catch
I need to affix this:
Tubus%20Logo%20Bicycle%20Rack%202.jpg

tubus logo

and these
P500%20Mount%20Superior%20Panniers%208.jpg

lone peak p-500 panniers

I already modded the burly trailer mount to work on my bike by drilling it out, and its fine. with the stock gearing, its not too bad with about 80 lbs. may go up a tooth in the rear, but i can still carry 18-20 mph with no problem.

SO, here is the question. Who can modify the rear dropouts, and make some sort of clamp setup or something, that will hold the 80lbs limit that is imposed on this rack, and still be an elegant mount? I can jerry rig something, but i prefer for it to be pretty.

Traditional clamps wont work since the brake stay is an oval type, and noone makes an oval type.

Yes i know how crazy and stupid this sounds, but they geo of this bike is amazing, and i love it so. ive been riding it every day for 6 months now, and cant even imagine going to this bike which i have two of:
4007235423_cc12ac0aa6.jpg

1986 bridgestone radac
i have one fixed and one on gears. Both would be super easy to put a rack on, but i really want to keep using this frame for every day duty, and buy a carnival frame for my fun bike.

Any ideas?

You could switch to using an Old Man Mountain rack, attaching to the bike via the extra long QR skewer.

track bike = no QR.....
fixed gear uses nuts on the end

If it were a QR tubus makes great adapters for that. But then it doesn't solve the seat stay mounting issue with odd shaped tubing

I gotta say i think that's a terrible idea, for several reasons.

The load of a pannier is quite different to the load of a trailer or a rider; it's a dead weight and so likley to over stress the rear wheel and associated parts.
It'll probably ruin the handling of the bike because of the placement of the load relative to the expected centre of gravity. Fast road bikes always have short seat stays so you'll end up with weight of the panniers behind the rear axle while acheving adequate heel clearance. This bike looks super short and designed to handle well at 25-30mph, with no load.
Meanwhile a bike designed to carry load is a dream to ride with weight on, seeming asthough the weight isn't there, you'll really notice it with this bike.

I gotta say i think that's a terrible idea, for several reasons.

concur, heel strike will be a botch due to super short chainstays. If you want to mount to steep seatstays you will have heel strike issues. Why do you have to mount that rack and panniers to this sweet looking bike?
Maybe if you tell us that then we can give you practical solutions.

concur, heel strike will be a botch due to super short chainstays. If you want to mount to steep seatstays you will have heel strike issues. Why do you have to mount that rack and panniers to this sweet looking bike?
Maybe if you tell us that then we can give you practical solutions.

I like super aggressive geo. and am really comfy on this bike up to about 70 miles. but its my physical conditioning that prevents more than that. i just run out of steam.

i like taking a turn at a stupid fast speed and still feeling in control.

If like say, the Specialized Allez was available (not steel) with rack and fender provisions, then id be kinda happy. I never ride relaxed, im always pushing myself even with a load (best time in my opinion!) so i dont wanna go super relaxed geo cause i feel all inefficient and stuff (may not be true, but how i feel i guess)

i mean, if you can reccomend a bike under 1k USD (i can order from america, associates with military) then ill go at it, but not really wanting to spend more than that since im not racing, i dont need top of the line stuff, its just a commuter bike.

Plenty of better solutions than trying to bodge a rack onto that bike.
Here's just one
Trek 1.1

Enough left in the budget for a rack, panniers / top box, lights, lock, mudguards etc etc.

i like taking a turn at a stupid fast speed and still feeling in control.

This will not be the case with a heavy mass slung out the back of a track bike. Plus you will most likely break the (carbon) frame by loading it in a way that it is not designed for.

it's just a commuter bike

Indeed. Get the right tool for the job.

The Fujiframe is aluminum alloy - the only issue you'll really have in hacking away at it is that you may de-heat treat it making it a bit weaker or potentially causing a localised problem around the bosses that you'd need to weld. I wouldn't worry too much about the bosses on the drops - they are hefty mothers. The seat stay bosses will need to be approached with care. If you don't need the flat rack, then doinf kind of a modded 'low rider' setup might be pretty cool. Sorry - I'm with Yokotas on this - since I ride my track bike everywhere, too. And hey, if you have the $$ and the initiative to mod your ride, why not? Just because we're in Japan doesn't mean we have to have the same 'pounded nail' syndrome.

Well, hey , I AM selling my 56 Durka Durka. If you want a real Track Geometry and indestructible Alu frame - then let me know. Its bright orange as well, so good visibility when you are mashing. And well under a k , I might add. Plus its drilled for standard caliper forks and for sure you could weld your hearts content on this without danger to any special alloy.

http://www.roadfixie.com/archives/603

:eek: I need a tissue!

I recomend buying a cheap hack bike, kitting it out for trailer use and keeping this beautiful steeds lines nice and clean!

I'll trade you my Durka Durka for this .. and throw in any rack of your choice :)

additionally the wheels won't be designed for weight. a shopping bike will be more likely to need to take a side walk occasionally because it takes a little while to build up momentum on a heavy loaded bike. Hitting any small bumps--even on the road-- with a loaded bike and the wrong wheels can be a problem.

I broke 3 spokes when I lightly loaded a road bike (steel, Bianchi Brava) with panniers for touring. I had to jerry-rig the length a little because of the frame length so not for my heels to hit the bags. (The frame was also bigger than what I need, 56cm-- I now I ride a 52cm). Broken spokes are a pain to change.

I feel you'd be better putting a basket on it... but ewww.

I already modded the burly trailer mount to work on my bike by drilling it out, and its fine. with the stock gearing, its not too bad with about 80 lbs. may go up a tooth in the rear, but i can still carry 18-20 mph with no problem.

If you are happy with using a trailer, then why not just ship your trailer over, or even just the mount (and then buy a trailer over here)? Seems the easiest solution.

Also, from what other people have written in the past, your one brake might fall foul of the traffic cops. :cop:

Nice bike: Fuji make some good-looking bikes these days. Their D6 is just georgeous.

Option for a grand

$1,076 online

Surly Long Haul Trucker 56cm Bike Black 26'' Wheel: If you're looking to carry a lot of stuff while riding your bike long distances, the Long Haul Trucker is your perfect match. Built with durable and long lasting parts, this touring bike has been one of Surly's most popular models because of its great value. Designed for fully loaded touring Fender and rack mounts front and rear, three water bottle cage mounts.

The trailer and bike are comming with me already. just procured a box for it today.

LHT headtube is too slack, dont like the handling of that.

Maybe a Soho or a 1.5 or 1.2, Kona Dew Drop, and that is what i have found so far. The 1 series is all aluminum where the 2 series have carbon seat stays, so thats not a good idea for this purpose.

So yeah, i think ill ditch the whole keep the FTP as a daily bike, and keep it int he back of the van for trips into tokyo to ride around. Im not a fan of mountain stuff...mainly cause im not a fan of gears. only want them cause a full load with a 47/15 sucks bad.

Do you need the panniers for camping or carrying stuff? Can you get by with a backpack if its not too far?

si for grocery shopping, going to work etc etc. prefer not to use a backpack with an agressive geo bike

Well, hey , I AM selling my 56 Durka Durka. If you want a real Track Geometry and indestructible Alu frame - then let me know. Its bright orange as well, so good visibility when you are mashing. And well under a k , I might add. Plus its drilled for standard caliper forks and for sure you could weld your hearts content on this without danger to any special alloy.

http://www.roadfixie.com/archives/603

no thanks :) I had been wanting a FTP for a fee years, before i had this
4131662577_e71a8a8f23_b.jpg

peep those limited carnival cranks!
4132447330_b30c709fe9.jpg

4131676821_66e835d6af.jpg

duraace + h+son chromes + cork brake pads = awesome.

So i decided on a trek 1.2 in a 54cm. i feel too streched on a 56, i gotta get a shorter stem on teh FTP when i get to japan.

Anyways, would be glad to take a spin around tokyo with ya. hard to find fixed heads that speak engrish.

Back
Top Bottom