Sunday okutama loop

Jul 2, 2012
asagaya
I'm planning on getting to musashi itsukaichi by around 9am with a few chaps, planning on doing the loop clockwise and then riding back depending on how everyone is doing.

anyone fancy getting involved?

Jun 9, 2011
tokyo
Thanks. I'm trying to decide between yanagisawa toge from okutama or tsuru toge starting from Takao. Sounds like yanagisawa might be in slightly better shape than the roads around okutama-ko.

Sep 2, 2009
Any chance you can post a map of the route you took; I am interested in this area, in the next few days, and wondered where you went.

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2012
asagaya
Any chance you can post a map of the route you took; I am interested in this area, in the next few days, and wondered where you went.

Thanks.
sure thing,

we went from musashi iitsukaiichi round to okutama. I've gone from okutama previously on the same roads and it was far better. the climb from MI is far more punishing and the descent is pretty short in comparison.

Be careful in the tunnels there, we had quite a few near misses with plonkers being determined to get past and nearly swiping us over in the process despite all of us being in single file and going at about 35kmh in traffic.

A mate told me theres a pretty straihgt forward route from MI back to Seibu Yuuenchi which would put you at the end of the bike path that runs from there to the end of kannana dori (I think)

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Okutama-loop

Jul 2, 2012
asagaya
Thanks. I'm trying to decide between yanagisawa toge from okutama or tsuru toge starting from Takao. Sounds like yanagisawa might be in slightly better shape than the roads around okutama-ko.
the roads were in pretty good shape, just the last few kms down to okutama are shaded so they were a bit on the moist side which was unnerving as we were going faster than we should have been. If you went up that side first it'd be far less of a problem.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
the roads were in pretty good shape, just the last few kms down to okutama are shaded so they were a bit on the moist side which was unnerving as we were going faster than we should have been. If you went up that side first it'd be far less of a problem.
That last bit you mention is always bad, but the road condition is noticing compared to the crazy weekend traffic trying desperately trying to get back to Tokyo. Not sure what its like in this season, but I did this a few times in the summer. Nutso