What's new

Sunday Morning

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
1/28(日)9時開始(間に合うように来てください。)終了は12時過ぎになると思います。場所 印旛沼マンモス公園(駐車場有)内容初級・中級は分かれての講習会になります。初級は、ポジション、ブレーキング、集団走行の練習。中級は、レースにおいての集団での位置取り、コーナーリングです。参加費無料

map

Inba near route 16 about 30 minute drive from Kashiwa...

The manager of our Makuhari team works for Bridgestone and this Sunday has organised a 'skills' program aimed mostly for beginners but more advanced will probably learn something as well.

There may be some pro riders there as well.

It's a bit far for most but if you'd like to attend let me know and I'll give you more details....

Blast, I wish I could join, but I usually work on Sundays. :eek:uch:

Anyhow, thanks for posting!

report:

30 riders turned up plus 3 coaches....10 beginners :20 mid to advanced.

Beginners went with one trainer and I don't know exactly what they did.

Mid to Advanced.
Start 9:00 am. Hand outs for the days lessons. cornering & riding in a close pack with different formations were the main topics. Plus how to react when you hit the wheel of the rider in front of you and think you're going to crash. (basically turn your wheel hard into the wheel in front and try to regain balance. Don't turn away from the wheel.)

9:30 We headed off to ride around about a 4km circuit in the countryside. There were many riders form other teams training there. We must have looked like an invading army in our uniforms and serious training regime.
The first hour we just kept a steady pace of around 26kph riding in two lines trying to stay 10 to 30cm behind the wheel in front and 10 to 30cm between the rider beside you...touching gloves with each other if you felt confident enough. The reason for this was to similate race conditions and to be comfortable riding close to other riders... Communication was also important for safety so we had to yell out for oncoming cars, cats, or from behind as well. As we warmed up the pace gradually increased.
The 2 at the front would peel off left and right and head to the back.

After an hour or so of that we changed the rotaion system ot that of racing in a strong crosswind.
The first rider would only hold the lead for a few seconds and move to the left a little and we just kept rotating fatster and faster from 2nd position picking up the speed. This was quite fun as it really felt like a controlled breakaway in a race with everybody helping to push the pace faster and faster with the leader breaking the wind. (not that wind :eek: )

After about 40 minutes of that we headed for the hills for some heavy gear slow climbs. There was one 9% climb that we tried to do with big chain on the front and 19 on the back. With my weight it was impossible and I could hear my DURA-ACE straining under the pressure and decided to use the small chain on the front and try not to let the boss notice.... :eek:

12pm we headed back to the car park for some balance training.
Picking up and putting down drink bottles on the ground with out stopping or knocking the bottles over. I don't know why but I seem to be able to do this very easily.... Then a few small laps using just one foot in the pedal... left then right for about 20 minutes...

1pm. Time to go home.

One of our guys kept riding all day... he did 170kms yesterday... I wish my wife would let me alone long enough to do that....

We have these courses about 2 or 3 times a year so will let you know when the next one is....

Sorry I couldn't make it!

Edogawakikkoman,
Sounds like it was awesome day, doing a lot of stuff that most cyclists don't even think about trying.
I've tried the one-leg riding (great for circles), and the heavy gear hill-climbs.
But the picking up & putting down of a bottle on the roll is something I've never thought about. And as for those really short rotations at the front is something I've only seen in the TDF, and other pro-races - I would really LOVE to try it, but with most groups, it just never seems to happen.
BTW, how are you for the "Tohoku" training day around Miura-Hanto?
It might be the Saturday (17th), or it might be the Sunday (18th) - until I get word from everybody regarding available days, it'll be hard to fix a date.
I'll endeavour to send everyone involved a Private Message on availability - It might turn out that in order for me ride with everyone interested in coming to Tohoku, I'll have to do the ride both days.
It also depends on the weather.
Anyway, thanks for the training report, and...
Rubber Down! T

Will probably do a training ride tomorrow or Wednesday myself...no work tomorrow and only an hour from 6pm on Wednesday...

120km up and down the Edo river before lunch then again and try and break my friends 170km of yesterday... 240? :eek:

Wednesday!

I have Wednesday morning off, so I may be able to make it then!
Sekiyado is 45km from my place, so that'll mean 90km for me, but I have to be back home by midday, which will mean meeting you at Nagareyama-Bashi no later than 8am.
Your call on this one, but what do you think?
Travis

I have Wednesday morning off, so I may be able to make it then!
Sekiyado is 45km from my place, so that'll mean 90km for me, but I have to be back home by midday, which will mean meeting you at Nagareyama-Bashi no later than 8am.
Your call on this one, but what do you think?
Travis

So that I don't have to double back make it Noda bashi at 8 or 8:30... I'll PM you my keitai #....

Back
Top Bottom